Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Bob Willis Northants Away - "Madcap"
Discussion started by Grockles.com , 14 August, 2020 10:01
Bob Willis Northants Away - "Madcap"
Grockles.com 14 August, 2020 10:01
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2020 10:06 by Grockle.

Willis Trophy Game 2 Northants away
cricketjerry-mouse 07 August, 2020 13:27
Tom Banton returns from England ODI duty to play against Northamptonshire (away) in the second Willis Trophy match, beginning tomorrow. He takes over from George Bartlett, who has not fully recovered from concussion received during the victory over Glamorgan

Quickie Kasey Aldridge, the 19-year-old former Millfield School student, is included in the 13 for the first time, and there is also a place in the squad for Ben Green, who hit his maiden 50 substituting for Bartlett in the week.

Squad: Abell, Aldridge, Banton, Brooks, Byrom, Davey, Davies, Green, Hildreth, Lammonby, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton, van der Merwe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 12:21 by Grockle.

Re: Willis Trophy Game 2 Northants away
hantssabre 07 August, 2020 13:34
Where’s Lewis?

Shepton Paul 2 07 August, 2020 13:51
Picked up a niggle in training yesterday, apparently. 🙁

Grockle 07 August, 2020 13:54
Probably because he isn't getting regular cricket. Difficult to keep your 'core' when you aren't playing regularly.

(Sm72)

AGod 07 August, 2020 15:57
Bloody typical. Damn you, England.

nelliec 07 August, 2020 22:32
On a similar note Jack could go the whole season stuck in a bubble with no white ball cricket at all.

AGod 08 August, 2020 06:01
red ball.

AGod 08 August, 2020 09:40
Northants (comments from David Ripley below) are certainly not alone in looking at this Bob Willis Trophy as an opportunity to get a look at some extra players, rather than just defaulting to the strongest possible XI that they can pick each game. Should Somerset be following suit?

--------------

“We want to be competitive but we’re definitely viewing it as a squad competition,” said Ripley. “I’m excited about seeing the lads who haven’t had much opportunity given a go.

“We’ve got that big picture of next year and the chance to do much better and compete much harder than last time we were in division one. That’s why we’ll have a squad mentality for this season.

“I hope we’re celebrating some hundreds and five-fors, we’re competitive and we’ll see how far that can take us this season. If we manage to get some wins we might have a different view of game five than of game one.

“I’m pleased we have this template rather than a scenario where we could have been bombed out of division one in a short format that would have left you really disappointed. We’ve looked forward to being back in division one and planned for it all winter so it’s better to wait.”

AGod 08 August, 2020 09:43
I don't know exactly which page it will be on, but it seems that the game will feature live coverage somewhere on the Northants website (it says all games will be live):

[nccc.co.uk]

AGod 08 August, 2020 09:50
Somerset have won the toss and elected to bat.

AGod 08 August, 2020 09:52
Former Northants man and dodgy (in the sense of decision-making quality, rather than probity) umpire, Nick Cook will be preside with fellow former Northants man, Rob Bailey.

Farmer White 08 August, 2020 09:54
The live stream will also be available via the Somerset CCC Match Centre.

I may even be there on time.

Farmer

Farmer White 08 August, 2020 10:08
Well, I was there ...

Farmer

Grockle 08 August, 2020 10:17
Live stream is up just as Eddie goes swinging at 1. You'll have to look elsewhere for commentary though so Tune In BBC Live Events is probably thr best option.

The live stream is on SCCC s Match Centre. There's a link in the Grockles left hand menu on the main site and via Forum Navigation on the mobile one.

Once it's up it should be available on your Youtube history

(Sm72)

Grockle 08 August, 2020 10:18
I lied... there is a sort of commentary on the feed. But unfortunately it a lagging behind the pictures.

Tom Lammonby has just been bowled on commentary as James Hildreth is taking guard on screen.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 10:21 by Grockle.

Bobstan 08 August, 2020 10:19
Way behind the action though.

Grockle 08 August, 2020 10:22
Yes sorry I just updated. It is woefully out of synch

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz 08 August, 2020 10:28
So is our batting in the sunshine it seems

AGod 08 August, 2020 10:29
Anyone found any live stream of the (so far) unfolding horror show?

AGod 08 August, 2020 10:37
Found it. Can't exactly say that the track looks like a green terror!!!

In which case, a hell of a lot of rebuilding potentially to be done..

AGod 08 August, 2020 10:40
Then again, there is this:

"Both (sic) James Hildreth and Tom Banton not looking in any comfort."

AGod 08 August, 2020 10:53
An uncahracteristcally ill-judged shot from Eddie Byrom.

Tom A falls, caught down the leg-side, quite often.... this one looked like an action replay of various others.

Grockle 08 August, 2020 11:13
The commentary is 3 balls behind the video for those trying to get their heads around it.

I wonder if the techies at Northants are rushing around trying to sort this or whether they''ve just gone 'it'll be OK'

Somerset would be working hard to get this right and may even take the commentary off until they did but that commitment to the watching listening public isn't always apparent elsewhere - especially in the case of Championship cricket.

Hopefully that attitude will disappear as the clubs have to go to streaming and realise how big the audience is.

Good start for Brandon Glover the 'Dutch' Saffer on debut. Normal start from the Somerset batting front end.

There is a twitter stink wafting up from Worcestershire who seem to have restricted their streaming to 'members only' via their website I am assuming. Other supporters NOT impressed it seems and it may change for the second tranche of games.

Something positive happening because of the pandemic

(Sm72)

Grockle 08 August, 2020 11:14
I'll judged 'chop on' by Banton and 36 for 4. Oh dear.

(Sm72)

Grockle 08 August, 2020 11:24
Not sure whether others are seeing this as well but it seems the 'live' stream needs restarting about every 40-45 minutes.

Presently not hugely impressed with 'Steelbacks TV' I have to say

(Sm72)

Bagpuss 08 August, 2020 11:36
Lancashire stream last week v Leicestershire was members only but after a lot of complaints this is changing. The match was at New Road.

Grockle 08 August, 2020 11:47
Yes - the indications of the demand for CC1 streams has been given a huge lift when it is all there is.

They can ignore it when they are playing in front of crowds but Ben's info about the hundred's of thousands of views is now reality for a lot of counties and they seem to be starting to take a serious look at it.

The kit they usually use has always been geared to giving lip service to the odd non local supporter if the bits of kit are hanging about and a non paid techie can cobble something together. That tended to be the way Somerset used to do the supporter ball by ball commentary.

The tech now is much more capable and the demand is a little more than they expected it to be so it all looks better for this aspect - and as a soon to be non UK resident again I am really happy to see that.

If the counties could raise revenue from it and all had to charge I'd be happy to subscribe to a service like SCCC's - not so sure I'd want something like this.

(Sm72)

AGod 08 August, 2020 12:03
Yet another game where the bowlers are going to have to absolutely carry this club, then..

AGod 08 August, 2020 12:06
The pitch looks fairly harmless to me.

So the lower order may be able to hit some lusty blows etc..

But still, one doubts that we'll get more than, perhaps, 220 or so unless somebody can stay with Hildreth for a long time.

And this track seems to have little of the pace and bounce of our track from the Glamorgan game. So we may have to sit in and win mainly with attrition vs the Northants batting..

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net