Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Willis Trophy Game 2 Northants away
Grizzers 09 August, 2020 18:46
Good uplifting summary Sfw.

Hope all works out well. Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted, at least as far as is possible in these crazy days.

Grizzers

Clarence Parker 09 August, 2020 19:18
Why AGod do you find it necessary to analyse and attempt to doubt Mr Withers' misfortunes concerning his redundancy?

It surely isn't necessary.

I wish you and your family all the very best, Sir.

wsm fan 09 August, 2020 19:24
How does Lewis get into the side Saturday if he is fit?
Or does he even get in.....?

Craig 4 Jamie 5 Josh 5 JackB 5 in this match.
Plus Craig & Jamie top scored with the bat đź‘Ť

Never ever a need for 5 seamers in my opinion.
We had 6 in this match if we include Tom & Tom!

AGod 09 August, 2020 19:47
Puzzled by the logic of the company rather than doubting the veracity of the story, Clarence, but thank you for your interjection, all the same.

AGod 09 August, 2020 19:53
IF he's fit, WSM, then LG should replace Brooks - who, wickets at the end notwithstanding, has not really bowled very well in either match, IMO.

Then again, at this rate, perhaps we should pick 11 bowlers, purely for batting purposes? Certainly, we've needed Brooks' batting in the first two games of this season.

Edgbaston varied between being a bunsen and a flat-track last season. I don't think Warks have Jeetan Patel anymore so presumably it won't be the former next week. Maybe it will be bland - as per the Northants track, on which the same Northants side that we've just seen be rushed out twice in next to no time, batted for no fewer than 175 overs, for only 6 down in Brummieland.

sfwithers 09 August, 2020 20:12
I think I know what AGod means (and I didn't read it as a criticism in any way) and I'll do a further dull update/explanation later but at the moment life is good.

I went out on the bike for a couple of hours in blistering sunshine, stopped to watch Hampset's Sunday team play cricket for a while. I've enjoyed a good dinner, I'm drinking wine (chardonnay – I'm showing my age) and listening to Lloyd Cole. And Somerset, the team to watch, won at a canter. Though when Northants were just over 100 for three I was a little tense; I shouldn't have been.

Thanks for your kind and positive words. During the furlough I'd worked out there were three options: return to work full time; return part time; redundancy. I actually put the part-time work suggestion to my employer in writing months ago, but redundancy is my second favourite outcome of the three and not a surprise (not with my experience of it).

Right, I want to see Somerset's batsmen in the nest on livestream tomorrow and Tuesday while the bowlers down goblets of cider while smoking Havana cigars, or something like that...

Somerset LaLaLa 09 August, 2020 20:25
Great win Somerset. They clearly thought the hotel was a load of cobblers, kept the score low and let the Overtons work their magic. Unfortunately the plan almost fell apart, on realising we hadn't enough runs on the board but it was bowlers to the rescue again. The risk is that the result will be declared null and void if we top the division, from the pitch report

Grizzers 09 August, 2020 20:27
Reverting to wsm’s question, Lewis can bat, so he comes in for me, even if at the expense of Tom L.

Any reason why SD cant open the batting with Eddie ?

1) EB
2) SD
3) TA
4) JH
5) TB
6) LG
7) CO
8) RvdM
9) JO
10) JD
11) JB

Gets even more complicated if George Bartlett is fit to play !

Grizzers

AGod 09 August, 2020 20:32
George has a mandatory time to spend on the sidelines. I think he will be thus barred from taking part, regardless of how he feels?

LaLaLa - what do you mean?

Are the umpires planning to penalise Northants for the pitch?

I've never heard of the result of a match on a penalised pitch being declared null and void?

Grockle 09 August, 2020 20:58
I think there is a question about whether Brooks is fully fit. There was quite a lot of question about whether he should continue just before he took 3. He has looked a little lethargic at times during the last couple of days.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa 09 August, 2020 21:11
AG - Perish the thought of the ECB letting us get to Lords, that spectators could be let in and Harrison gets a nice boo in front the cameras. How else will they stop us?

wsm fan 09 August, 2020 21:28
There is NEVER a scenario we need 5 seamers plus Abell surely?
To play Lewis at 6 we are saying all 5 seamers are better batting options than another batting option we have, Green i assume.
Lewis has had no cricket at all since a "proper" match all summer.
If our batting is a worry im not sure playing 6 bowlers is the answer.

mikeindex 09 August, 2020 21:48
Quote:
Rod1883
Am I allowed to call him a veteran at nearly 36?
Mohammad Amir - potentially the rich man's Wasim Akram - has retired from Test cricket aged 28.
In answer to your question - probably, yes.
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

hantssabre 09 August, 2020 22:25
Just a thought but shouldn’t there be more points on offer if you win a match with days to spare?

cricketjerry-mouse 09 August, 2020 22:31
In normal non-Covid-19 circumstances, hantssabre, there should be less rather than more points. Thinks of all the bar taking etc you are denying the club.

Grizzers 09 August, 2020 22:39
Can’t argue with your logic wsm.

But what is the answer to the batting situation ? Is Ben really likely to score more runs than Lewis ?

Grizzers

Loyal of Lhasa 09 August, 2020 22:40
Sorry to hear your news, sfw, but you seem to be taking a very philosophical approach and I hope a new opportunity will soon come your way.

It was indeed a fine win, demonstrating what a splendid set of bowlers (who can also bat) we are blessed with. I think we have probably played the two weakest teams in the group and I hope, as I mentioned earlier, we shall not regret failing to score four more runs in our first innings against Glamorgan.

I like the suggestion that the hotel might be a load of cobblers - was that a deliberate reference to the trade for which Northampton was once famed?

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod 09 August, 2020 22:41
Grizzly - nope.. no reason to suppose that he is.

wsm fan 09 August, 2020 22:51
Well Green has batted in top 4 most of 2nd games last year and scored a maiden 50 v Glamorgan.
As things stand he is the next (only) batter we have in reserve so guess he needs a run for us to find out.

JK said Friday George should be ok for Warwicks, i understood concussion rest was a mandatory 7 days but i may be wrong there.

AGod 09 August, 2020 22:52
Oh, okay.. I thought it was longer than 7 days.

Regardless of the length of the compulsory period of being out, it's very good to hear that he seems to be okay, anyway. Nobody wants a repeat of the Leachy post Morkel situation.

Grockle 10 August, 2020 00:18
Anthony Gibson reporting that Jamie is not off to Surrey just yet and will be available for Warwickshire. You don't think he's keen for a four day trophy before he goes do you?

(Sm72)

AGod 10 August, 2020 06:40
I assume that Andy and Jason intend to keep him for so long as we're in the running for this trophy.

Surrey would appear to have next to no chance of winning this trophy, based on the sides that they have been picking so far.

Without a significant rebuild - or, perhaps, some of Surrey's England players falling from favour, it's not at all obvious that Jamie will be better placed to challenge for domestic trophies with his new county, moving forward.

Still, Jamie has presumably gone there mainly for international reasons .. thinking, rightly, that having the word "Surrey," next to his name will automatically inflate the perceived worth of his performances in the minds of simpleton selectors.

If Jamie were to go there this season, it looks like it would be him, Rikki Clarke and a bunch of novices........ so he'd have an awful lot of bowling to do.

cricketjerry-mouse 10 August, 2020 12:43
Surrey must surely be pressing for Jamie Overon`s arrival. With six players injured already, and six on various England duties, they have been forced to borrow Laurie Evans (Sussex) and Adam Finch (Worcestershire) to field a full 11 for their current match in the Willis Trophy.

AGod 10 August, 2020 12:52
I'm sure they will be.

But perhaps a contract decision from Nathan Gilchrist was what Jason and Andy were waiting on (with Jason having told Mr Gibson, that they'd take the Jamie situation, game-by-game)

Somerset LaLaLa 10 August, 2020 19:06
Bonus points. Note to our batsmen, again

Last year we finished 5th in CC1 on bonus points, above Yorkshire, Warks and truly dreadful Notts. Warks had more batting points than us.

This season we are not faring any better, Kent after there batfest have a total of 15 compared to our 8. Even lowly Durham, losing both their games, have 6.

It's conceivable the 3 sides who finish top of their divisions will have the same number of win/draw/losses and we won't go to the party. The Overtons will not be amused

Grizzers 10 August, 2020 19:30
Succinctly put LLL.

Grizzers

AGod 10 August, 2020 20:50
Bowlers have decided to take batting bonus point matters into their own hands.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the last 5 wickets outscore the first 5 in the majority of our remanining innings this season.

Farmer White 11 August, 2020 00:16
Apologies for the late arrival of the report from Northampton but ...

What a performance by the bowlers, with bat and ball. And what a performance by Craig and Jamie Overton, with bat, ball and in the slips. I think I saw every ball. The match was over in two days, not even quite that. The frenetic pace of the action makes it feels like four.

For ease of access I will put links to both of my daily reports below together with their titles:

First Day:

A madcap day at the cricket

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Final Day:

Making a difference ~ Craig and Jamie Overton

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And in making a difference one brother passed 300 first-class wickets. The other achieved his highest first-class score. I know we all know that but it just seemed worth saying again. And did they do it in style.

Roll on Saturday.

Farmer

Scrumper 11 August, 2020 00:33
Proposed batting order...

Jamie Overton
Craig Overton
Jack Brooks
James Hildreth OBE
Steve Davies
Roelof van der Merwe
Edward Byrom
Tom Abell
Tom Lammonby
Tom Banton

AGod 11 August, 2020 07:16
Looks good to me, Scrumper!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net