Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Warwickshire vs Somerset, Edgbaston BW Trophy
Rod1883 18 August, 2020 12:52
Absolutely chucking it down now. Hope the groundstaff can get the outfield dry quickly if/when it brightens up

Tumbles 18 August, 2020 13:28
On the radar that looks to be the worst of it now. Might be a while before they're out again but once they are they should see it through.

Phrench Phil 18 August, 2020 13:45
It appears to have stopped raining and the webcam picture shows the sun starting to peek out from the clouds.
Apparently, there is an inspection planned for 14H00.

Grockle 18 August, 2020 13:45
No big hurry to get the covers off and players back on. We'd probably be the same. Grey overhead but it is only 1:45 and we probably only need 2 wickets as Lamb probably won't bat unless there is a possibility of drawing the game.

Would be a shame to not get home but had you offered Somerset maximum bonus points in a draw given the weather forecast on Saturday they probably would have taken it.

(Sm72)

Grockle 18 August, 2020 13:49
More rain on the live feed so I don't think the 2:00 inspection will have any effect on play... maybe a 3pm one might perhaps.

(Sm72)

Grizzers 18 August, 2020 14:28
Patience is a virtue.

Wish I had some !

Grizzers

Farmer White 18 August, 2020 14:34
Not that I like to crank up the tension but ... Essex and Worcestershire are beginning to look ominous in their matches.

Farmer

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 14:44
Frustrating isn't it. Pitch inspection at 14.30 decides a restart at 15.00 - why not straight away, get that hover cover off and get on with it!

Farmer White 18 August, 2020 14:45
Start at 3. 40 overs.

Essex 28 for 0 chasing 196. Northants 83 for 5 chasing 262 v Worcs.

Farmer.

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 14:50
...and tea to be taken at 3.40pm!
Cricket is infuriating when the weather is threatening.

Angell Face 18 August, 2020 14:51
I have never understood why if the pitch was playable at 2.30, which presumably it was or they would have ordered another inspection, we have to wait 30 minutes before play starts. Teams should be ready to play at 10 minutes notice. That's all the time they get between innings.

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:00
Thank goodness they started a few minutes early. Well bowled Jove

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 15:01 by Rod1883.

Phrench Phil 18 August, 2020 15:00
Well Done Jove - 2 to go.

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:07
Off again! Those delays between inspection and play starting!!!!!

Tumbles 18 August, 2020 15:09
This looks like last rain so hopefully tea early and then finish them off

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:09
For the second time in four years, it looks like these jammiest of Brummies are going to escape with a draw, having been totally outplayed, from start to finish (as they were in 2016 when they produced a pitch that was unfit for first-class cricket, got totally smashed on it for two days, then sat in the pavilion for 2 days, got their draw and got exonerated by the ECB who decided that a TMC couldn't possibly be punished as the poor darlings had had to cope with some weather).

There'll be another unseemly delay for this bit of rain. They'll insist on having tea (never needed when players have been in paviliion all afternoon) and then there'll be bad light after that, no doubt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 15:15 by AGod.

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:10
Not to mention when the cheating of Hannon-Dalby (everyone in the ground save for the umpire knew he'd hit it but he didn't walk) and the total and utter incompetence of N G B Cook cost us in the home game as well..

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:16
It seems they are taking Tea - but really why should there be a tea interval with all the time off the pitch anyway!
Just hoping the weather holds for the overs we need after Tea to finish them off

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:19
It's an absolutely preprosterous stipulation that "tea must be taken."

Just idiotic. Cretinous even.

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:29
Looks like it's raining again on the live feed. If they hadn't taken tea, they might have been back out for 10 or 15 minutes by now. It really is all a nonsense.
Edit - not just raining absolutely chucking it down. Unless this rattles through really quickly, I think we're set for a frustrating end to the game I'm afraid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 15:31 by Rod1883.

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:37
Scrumper called it at the time yesterday - I think it was him.

Batted on too long, given amount of weather around. Who knows, even saving 3 or so overs that we batted on for after 400 *might* have made a difference and, with hindsight, should have settled for the 4 batting points anyway.

Northants are about to subside to a predictable defeat to Worcs, too.

So the scenario that Mr Gibson outlined yesterday is liable to come to pass...

Somerset will go to New Road needing to win to qualify for the final... only to be greeted with the kind of pitch that would make Karachi look like a sporting track...

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:42
Pathetic, woeful Surrey are getting absolutely hammered again.

Jamie must look at some of their scores and think "ugh."

Looks like Essex have turned their game at Hove around and will, almost certainly, end up being one of the finalists for Lord's... that group's "race," will be run if Essex win that one, with Middx and Kent heading for a draw.

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:44
It's actually raining at Northampton...... so we'll have to do a rain dance for conditions there to continue to match those here....

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:47
I agree we should have declared as soon as Jove was out. Who's to say the two overs extra(?) would have made a difference though - we might not have got the six we did yesterday evening.
The weather forecast looks pretty poor till after 5pm now - might we get five or six overs before 6pm??
If we do, will Lamb bat if he only has a couple of overs to survive?

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:47
Pouring down again - game over.

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:48
Nah, Rod, the umpires won't be up for a late one and the ground staff will hardly hurry to clean up. It's over.

somexile 18 August, 2020 15:50
If they were nine down tea would have been delayed. I presume their injured player is actually at the ground

sfwithers 18 August, 2020 15:51
I was one who said yesterday to declare at 350 - risk vs reward (I play poker occasionally) and a dodgy weather forecast meant we were chasing one bonus point while potentially reducing the chance of winning. No guarantees either way but I very much wanted the earlier declaration.

One more wicket should do it but I don't like the fact that it's raining in Brum at present.

Rod1883 18 August, 2020 15:51
You're probably right AG, but perhaps there should be a law/rule that says if the game is that close to a positive result being achieved every effort should be made.

AGod 18 August, 2020 15:54
There should definitely be a change to the playing conditions to say that there should never be a tea interval when there has been less than one hour of continuous play before its scheduled start!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net