Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Warwickshire vs Somerset, Edgbaston BW Trophy
Loyal of Lhasa 18 August, 2020 17:25
Now I know why it's called the Bob Willis Trophy!

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

AGod 18 August, 2020 17:28
Worcs and Derbys 57 points.

Somerset 56 points.

Yorkshire 55 points.

Essex 42 points... with result pending at Hove ....... Essex should win....

Hants 45 points

Kent 42 points

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 17:29 by AGod.

AGod 18 August, 2020 17:28

mikeindex 18 August, 2020 17:29
Quote:
somexile
Anyone know what the man kneeling down top left of covers with both hands in the puddle is doing?
Fielding at second slip?
Was it in the Test or the Somerset live feed - I forget which but it was only a couple of days ago? - but a catch fell just short of wide 2nd/short gully and I immediately thought 'Marcus on his knees would have had that one'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 17:33 by mikeindex.

hantssabre 18 August, 2020 17:31
The area with puddles on was quite near the boundary. If the match had been played on a more central strip it would probably been outside the boundary so why with only a couple of matches played at the most was the match played on a strip almost on the edge of the square? Guess the answer will be because of the amount of T20 matches that will be played there at a later date that will have to be televised!

AGod 18 August, 2020 17:35
Barn-burner at Hove .. Mitchell Claydon, whom I've always quite liked, with two quick wickets and Essex suddenly 7 down, 20 or so from home.

cricketjerry-mouse 18 August, 2020 17:43
Bob Willis will be rubbing his hands with glee at the outcome, LoL. For he absolutely hated the county championship, both as a player and later a commentator, and was never afraid to say so.

On one famous occasion, when he had moved from Surrey to Warwickshire at great cost but had made only a handful of appearances at Edgbaston in two seasons, a classic cry was heard from the members` pavilion when he came on for a rare over.

"Bowler`s name?"

How on earth has that name been attached to a competition Willis despised?

mikeindex 18 August, 2020 17:45
@hantsabre probably a pretty sound analysis.
With hindsight, of course it would have been a better idea to declare at 350, but judging by the forecasts I was seeing at that point we could easily have lost almost all the remaining playing time so maybe nailing the last point was, without hindsight, pretty sound.
What baffles me is, why bat on for another ten minutes after reaching 400?
I think we may have to beat Worcs at New Road.
One thought that does occur is, given AG's scenario, will it be that easy for the new Road groundsman to prepare a batting paradise even if that does suit his team's strategical requirements? Worcester is after all one of the most weather-prone county grounds on recent seasons' form.

hantssabre 18 August, 2020 17:48
I think CJM the reason is Bob had a vision of reducing the number of Counties to make it a shorter more competitive competition and even though this version has all 18 counties it is a much reduced format and therefore associated to Bob’s idea.

AGod 18 August, 2020 17:50
I think we can probably all agree that batting beyond the over in which the 400 was reached, was a complete waste of time.

Pitch preparation is an inexact science so let's hope that, if the situation arises, the Worcs' groundsmen gets it a bit wrong.

mikeindex 18 August, 2020 17:51
Very good point @CJM.
Naming a county trophy after Willis makes, if anything, even less sense than naming a stand at Taunton after Botham.

hantssabre 18 August, 2020 17:57
Essex win, now on 61 points

sfwithers 18 August, 2020 18:00
Well, that's certainly made it a bit trickier – and I stand by my comments I made yesterday that going past 350 wasn't a risk worth taking at the time. We chased an extra point but reduced our chances of winning in what was almost certainly going to be a rain-affected final five sessions. Others may rue the 'dropped' bonus points in the first two games, while I will rue the one we went for – and reached – in this!

More positively, in three games we have two big victories and would have won that without the rain.

AGod 18 August, 2020 18:01
Essex reasonably big favourites, at this stage, to be one of the finallists.

Grizzers 18 August, 2020 18:02
Yesterday, the SCCC world felt like a juicy bowl of strawberries with fresh cream.

Today, the weather Gods have turned that into a bowl of rancid mush.

Ah well, life is never easy being a Somerset supporter.

Would be interested in Tom's thoughts as to why we batted on for a brief while after reaching 400 yesterday, but really, we played absolutely superbly in this game, so let's not beat ourselves up about it.

Time to channel our frustration in the direction of Gloucester & Worcs..

Grizzers

mikeindex 18 August, 2020 18:07
My point was more that he might not even be able to get it 'right' (from the Worcs pov), however much he might wish to, if the conditions militate against it.
Surely even the most skilled groundsman is limited to a degree by the turf and weather conditions at his disposal. Could a Mumbai groundsman produce a green seamer to order?

AGod 18 August, 2020 18:17
I think it would depend on the rules governing the preparation, Mikeindex?

I mean, given enough time with a hosepipe, I'd think said Mumbai groundsman probably could produce a green track... I bet the lawn in front of the US Embassy is resolutely emerald, for example!?

I think the hardest thing to do for a groundsman is to easily influence the *pace* of a track.

Feburary 2020 was the wettest month this country has ever seen.... and one doubts that New Road escaped that.., so I don't think the Worcs groundsman would be able to produce a fast pitch, if the club wanted him to (for any given game this season).

I do think there are some grounds where taking too much grass off a surface would leave a risk of a track breaking up and thus turning and/or becoming uneven.. if Worcs is one such ground, then their groundsman would probably have to leave at least some length of grass on the surface..... which may then give us some seam movement, with which to work.

Let's hope Warks can dust themselves off and allow Worcs to score fewer points than we score vs Gloucs..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 18:19 by AGod.

Tom Seymour 18 August, 2020 19:10
Quote:
mikeindex
Surely even the most skilled groundsman is limited to a degree by the turf and weather conditions at his disposal. Could a Mumbai groundsman produce a green seamer to order?

My 9 word response has been deleted on account of a fellow poster considering that it "might have been considered to be denigrating to people of a particular race."

There was never any intention of this on my part, but in the event of any further over - sensitive reactions, I have decided to delete it with good grace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/08/2020 10:46 by Tom Seymour.

Farmer White 19 August, 2020 05:40
I have called my report on the final day "That was cruel" from a text I received at the end of the match.

Final Day report link:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And for ease of reference here are the links to my reports on the first three days play:

First Day: Oh to be in Birmingham ...

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Second Day: Glowering skies - Gloious cricket

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Third Day: The Broadsword and the rapier

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2020 08:16 by Farmer White.

sfwithers 19 August, 2020 09:22
Quote:
mikeindex
@hantsabre probably a pretty sound analysis.
With hindsight, of course it would have been a better idea to declare at 350, but judging by the forecasts I was seeing at that point we could easily have lost almost all the remaining playing time so maybe nailing the last point was, without hindsight, pretty sound.

Still not sure I agree with that – I proposed declaring at 350 at the time (without the benefit of hindsight), also making the point that weather forecasts recently have been very erratic. I do a lot of cycling and check the forecasts a lot and over the last few weeks they've not been that accurate on the timings or duration of rain. In those circumstances I'd have erred on assuming there'd be more rain than forecast. If there was less or no rain, we'd still have the option of batting again.

We went for the point but, as a result of that, the chance of a win went begging. Given Essex's lack of batting points in this round, that final batting point was potentially less crucial anyway. The win was everything and I think we'd have achieved it with a declaration at 350, which for me was always the best option.

Railboy 19 August, 2020 11:16
Fantastic maiden 1st class ton from Jamie, boy are we going to miss the all round spectacular of him in full flight whether with ball, bat or in the field.
The tragic irony of course is that if he had been out for 0 we would probably have won the match!! Cricket can be a cruel game sometimes.

Grockle 19 August, 2020 17:46
Quote:
Tom Seymour
Quote:
mikeindex

My 9 word response has been deleted on account of a fellow poster considering that it "might have been considered to be denigrating to people of a particular race."

There was never any intention of this on my part, but in the event of any further over - sensitive reactions, I have decided to delete it with good grace.

This action was taken centrally I assume as it is the first I have heard of it

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net