Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dom Bess
Discussion started by Bagpuss , 27 August, 2020 22:54
Dom Bess
Bagpuss 27 August, 2020 22:54
Off to Yorkshire having turned down deal with Somerset. Report in tomorrow's Daily Mail.

Disappointing but not a huge surprise.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2020 00:34 by Grockle.

Re: Dom Bess
Grizzers 27 August, 2020 23:08
I wish Dom the very best of success.

As Bagpuss says, it is disappointing, but not a massive surprise.

Notwithstanding England's recent selection policy, Jack surely continues, health permitting, to be the more likely of the two to take a hat full of wickets ?

Grizzers

AGod 27 August, 2020 23:14
Zero surprise.

Scrumper 27 August, 2020 23:25
Is it a coincidence that our loaned out players are now gone?

wsm fan 27 August, 2020 23:27
Quote:
Scrumper
Is it a coincidence that our loaned out players are now gone?

No, not one bit

AGod 27 August, 2020 23:28
Yes, Grizzly.

The bottom-line is that it's much harder for off-spinners to be effective than any other type of spinner.

In general, off-spinners tend to be effective against LHBs and to struggle badly against RHBs, unless they have the ability to bowl the ball which leaves the RHB.

Graeme Swann, for example, had a Test bowling average of about 40 vs RHBs - because he never did have a ball that left the RHB. His figures were so good, overall, because his average vs LHBs was about 17.

For left-arm spinners, they are also disadvantaged - in their case vs LHBs, but not to the same extent since the left-arm spinner can count on the rough outside the LHBs off-stump, especially second dig. The off-spinner has no such option when bowling to the RHB unless his team has a left-arm pace bowler who likes to bowl over the wicket

Somerset will miss Bess, primarily, as an option vs the LHBs.. so far as I know we now have no off-spinner on the club's books anymore.

Does anyone know what's happening with Roelof viz Kolapk regulations etc?

We certainly can't rely on Max Waller as reserve for when Leachy is with England!!

I guess we hope for quick strides from Lewis Goldsworthy?

Goonie goo goo 28 August, 2020 07:01
Well if we have a two div cc next season I’d reckon if we don’t get signing some bowlers we are gonners. Craig will get another bowling contract at least so won’t see him leach could even play as England spinner so Bess will play for yorks . Brooks is 37 next year and a bit injury prone and will prob be in final year. That leaves Gregory and davey !! I think mr hurry won’t be topping up his tan somewhere this winter and will be scouring the land for Reinforcements !! Enjoy beating teams this season as next year shoe could be on other foot

hantssabre 28 August, 2020 08:16
Best wishes to Dom if the story is true. Seems a nice guy and Sky certainly seem to love him judging by the number of interviews they did with him over the recent Test series.

Would have thought Warwickshire would have been a better fit (if it was even an option) as the media seem to be bigging up Adil Rashid to return to Test cricket so if Adil suddenly signs a red ball contract with Yorkshire, Dom might find himself back in the same position as he is at Somerset!

Roger ivanhoe 28 August, 2020 09:02
If report is correct then good luck to the young man, he seems to have risen above Jack Leach in the pecking order for England, in which case we are likely to see more of Jack at County Level, than Yorkshire will of Dom.

cricketjerry-mouse 28 August, 2020 09:23
England players interviewed by Sky during Test series are nominated each day by the ECB, not requested by the television station.

Owain Glyndwr 28 August, 2020 09:26
Sorry to see him go, but not in the slightest surprised. Good luck to him with his new county, I'm sure he'll do well.

sfwithers 28 August, 2020 09:36
Ditto with the comments wishing all the best to Dom Bess, and no, it doesn't come as a surprise.

Somerset do seem to be running down their bowling resources at present, I'm guessing at least to some degree for financial reasons, but they're looking like they're going to be stretched very thinly next year, especially if our remaining Overton is called up for test match duty...

Whome 28 August, 2020 09:57
Jamie and Dom offered contracts it seems so its not a question of running down our bowling resources by desire. Everyone wants to play but in reality how many matches would they play when everyone available. Opportunities for Aldridge and Goldsworthy beckons and that’s the way it should be.

Railboy 28 August, 2020 10:38
Best wishes to Dom, He is a victim of that rule that only allows you to play 11 players and understandably he would like to be in a team where he is among the best 11 (also a victim of the by-law that says that Somerset must not take too many wickets with spinners)
At Test level, and for reasons not connected to bowling, Dom is currently wearing the cap and Jack the understudy. At home the reverse is true. However, if I am not mistaken Simon Harmer becomes available for England next Summer and i suspect will leapfrog both.

hantssabre 28 August, 2020 11:00
Don’t think Harmer is going to be an option

[www.bbc.co.uk]

cricketjerry-mouse 28 August, 2020 13:12
I agree with Whome that it is fake news to say that Somerset are running down their bowling options for financial reasons.

They offered Dom Bess exactly the same contract deal as Yorkshire in terms of money, but sensibility in my view not the guarantee of first team cricket.

With Jamie Overton, Somerset made a considerably increased and longer financial offer, but couldn`t match moneybags Surrey on either front.

Not exactly `running down`.

AGod 28 August, 2020 13:23
Longer for Jamie, CJM? That's the opposite of what had previously been suggested on here - namely that we offered Jamie only 2 years, vs the longer deal proffered by the Brown Caps.

As for Mr Bess?

I would *not* be confident, if I were him, that Yorkshire will not re-contract Keshav Maharaj whenever the opportunity should arise (i.e. when SA aren't busy with internationals).

I also suspect that England will simply bring Mo back as first choice off-spinner once he gets back to regular red-ball domestic cricket (i.e., next year, I assume).

Farmer White 28 August, 2020 13:27
Good luck to Dom Bess. It will be intersting to see how he performs without Jack Leach pinning batsmen down at the other end. He may also miss Davies behind the stumps. I suspect he may have the character to overcome that though.

Where you have a bowler like Tom Abell in the team I would play two spinners most of the time. However, in days when the received wisdom is that teams do not regularly play more than one spinner, and occasionally none, this was probably inevitable. In fact, I received a text saying, "This has been inevitable since the day Bess broke into the first team." He has a first-class bowling average of 30 compared to Jack Leach's 25, but he is 6 years younger. So, probably impossible to meet the aspirations of both. One of the prices we pay for supporting a club that produces so many outstanding players of whom only 11 can play.

Farmer

wsm fan 28 August, 2020 13:48
Quote:
cricketjerry-mouse
I agree with Whome that it is fake news to say that Somerset are running down their bowling options for financial reasons.
They offered Dom Bess exactly the same contract deal as Yorkshire in terms of money, but sensibility in my view not the guarantee of first team cricket.

With Jamie Overton, Somerset made a considerably increased and longer financial offer, but couldn`t match moneybags Surrey on either front.

Not exactly `running down`.

Bold & detailed claims there CJM.
Are you quite sure you have those details correct?

Grockle 28 August, 2020 14:01
Dom going was pretty much on the cards as an England spinner at the county where the other England spinner plays. Jack is still the more likely to take buckets of wickets and Dom is not going to pass him while playing second fiddle to him and getting occasional games.

As a good spinner who can bat he was always going to be a target for other counties and despite our batting issues, he isn't a top 6 choice for us so he would not play enough 4 day cricket for a test career.

It is a shame for him and for us but it is just coincidence that 2 excellent slow men reach the side at the same time

It is NOT the end of our bowling attack though we may have to consider what we do when Jack is picked for international service. RvdM is a true servant of the county but he is getting on and max has never been seen as a red ball bowler

I expect Dom to take a significant role at Yorkshire, I never expected that at Taunton while Jack was about - he was a luxury when Jack was first picked and then he followed him.

Shame but inevitable I'm afraid.

Now we need to look at our younger resources and get them moving plus looking to bolster them for 2021

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe 28 August, 2020 14:13
BBC Sports reporting Dom Best leaving Somerset.

Somerset LaLaLa 28 August, 2020 15:45
In recent years we have seen a handful of Somerset players go on to represent their country. It seems to me that Yorkshire have been able to persuade Dom that they will better enable him to further his England career. Do they really have a better coaching team and facilities? He played in the last seven championship games for us last season, so not really a case of Jack keeping him out. With Tim Gronewald, Paul van Meekeren, Peter Trego, Nathan Gilchrist and Jamie we seemed to be shedding bowlers fast. A few seasons ago were rumours about Lewis Gregory going. Does this say we have the best bowling unit in the country which is at capacity or there are wider issues with retention? More strange that some of them are West Country through and through, hard for me to think of them leaving.

Either way I wish Dom all the best and hope he doesn't develop a Yorkshire accent

Rod1883 28 August, 2020 16:08
Good luck Dom wherever you end up.
I just hope this loss of bowling talent doesn't come back to bite us, especially with our points deduction next season

Mart 28 August, 2020 16:21
Overton, Brooks, Davey, Gregory and Leach is stronger than most counties.

Grockle 28 August, 2020 17:26
And if they were all available would Jamie and Dom make the side without hesitation or deliberation?

The target has to now be to expand the resources from our academy and domestically if possible so we have backup for what is debatably the best attack in the Championship presently.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour 29 August, 2020 15:55
First and foremost, I am very sorry that Dom Best is to leave the club to join another as yet unconfirmed county. Of all the players whose contract is up for renewal at the end of this season, Dom was the one I most wanted to see wearing the dragon for many years to come.

We have all watched his career with interest, and perhaps got a wee bit overly excited by his wicket taking performances on Taunton’s spin friendly pitches a few years ago. I think that last year and this in his Test Match appearances, he has lost some of the mojo that he enjoyed then by bowling IMO too full a length.

Yes, as he repeatedly says on media interviews, he is still young and has a lot to learn but will a change of county bring rapid results. It is an old adage that spin bowlers don’t fully mature until they are about 30 and with many years of hard graft in the game behind them. I would like to think that he could become as effective a Test player as Graeme Swann was towards the end of his career, and hope that the move will bring that to fruition, but it surely isn’t that simple.

He could at another county find it difficult to be their Number 1 spinner, should one of their own or overseas player claim that spot and leave him where he considers himself to be now with Somerset.

I wonder in the event of us losing two young players, in whom we have invested a lot over the years, it is simply a matter of cash on the table? I don’t somehow think so! What I do wonder is how good are our D o C and coaching staff at man - management, having regard to the two entirely different personalities of the two young men in question.

We do have some ‘old heads’ at the club who have its best interest at heart in (if I can name them) Brian Rose and Roy Kerslake (possibly others), and I feel sure that they would have done everything possible to retain the services of Dom but obviously to no avail.

Dom has been a special player in the last couple of years with his enthusiasm, talent and commitment and I am very sorry to see him go. He has done very well to have played for England at such a young age and I wish him all the very best for the rest of his career.

There are some players who have left Somerset whom I would not welcome back to play for us again, but Dom is most certainly not one of them He is a good West Country lad and the salt of the earth.

Old Boy! 31 August, 2020 17:42
I am so sad to see Dom Bess go. Unfortunately these days teams think that each eleven can only have one proper spinner. Assuming they were available and not used by England , as a Somerset selector picking my red ball eleven, Abell, Leach and Bess would always have been the first three names on the team sheet, and we fight over who would be the other eight!

I am still hopeful that things might not work out for Dom at Yorkshire, and we could get him back - maybe on loan!! at first.

Old Boy!

mikeindex 31 August, 2020 22:01
Goddard/Cook... Lock/Laker... Appleyard/Wardle... Mortimore/Allen... Acfield/East... Illingworth/Wilson... Edmonds/Emburey... Carrick/Cope... funny how often Yorkshire, and later Middlesex and Essex, managed to win the Championship with two spinners in the side.
Oh well.
Great job done by the new toss legislation - spinning pitches have been so far encouraged that the only side to win on them gets penalised.
I predict that next time England play on the subcontinent they will need both Jack and Dom, whichever county either of them is affiliated to by then.

Grockle 01 September, 2020 02:40
And how long ago was the last of those partnerships?

How many times have Jack AND Dom played together for England?

This attack idea does not compute with England and therefore is not liked by their orgamisation because a) it might work and b) it's stars look useless if they play against it in domestic county cricket

(Sm72)

hantssabre 02 September, 2020 08:20
Now officially announced on a 4 year deal

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net