Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Nominations please
Discussion started by Grockle , 03 October, 2020 18:55
Nominations please
Grockle 03 October, 2020 18:55
As I did no monthly Player polls this season I have no starting point for the Player of the Year poll this season.

Generally there seems to be a view that there is no reason to run a white AND red ball individual poll ( I'm happy to be convinced if you want them)

So... can I have nominations for the 2020 Player of the season please? I'll put together a poll from those I receive over the next week.

I'd run a Young Player and as well if someone reckons that Tom Lammonby would not win that outright.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 18:53 by Grockle.

Re: Nominations please
Grizzers 03 October, 2020 20:00
Three stand out candidates for me. In alphabetical order:

Josh Davey,

Tom Lammonby,

Craig Overton

Grizzers

Somerset LaLaLa 03 October, 2020 20:10
The whole bowling unit.

But it was the batting that did it for me. So add Tom Abell and Steve Davies (in alphabetical order)

That Bloke With The Dog 03 October, 2020 21:27
I know it sounds like a PR statement, but it always felt like a complete team effort this year, with one individual after another stepping up when the going got tough.

Sorry. Not much help from a polling point of view, but there you are.

Grockle 03 October, 2020 21:29
Well maybe the question to answer is who produced winning performances in both formats for both teams.

(Sm72)

wsm fan 03 October, 2020 22:36
Craig Overton

mikeindex 16 October, 2020 17:48
Totally agree with a) a magnificent team effort and b) three individuals stand out. Not mutually incompatible.
I voted for Tom L because I felt he was coming from further back than Craig - and Josh, while magnificent, was not quite ahead of Craig, CO marginally ahead on bowling and likewise on batting.
CO definitely a worthy winner, as he was of the PCA MVP trophy (what a lot of capitals).
Marginally relatedly, if Ireland are now a Test nation, surely Scotland must be close given the quality of cricketer they now have in JD?

Old Boy! 16 October, 2020 19:39
A good case can be made for several players. However the only really important and successful decision Matthew Maynard did before he left was seeing the value in appointing Tom Abel as Captain at such a young age. The lad has taken to the task
in wonderful talent and during this short season, IMO his captaincy, batting and fielding (are there better fielders in the country than Max and Tom Abel?) wins him the award. In the shorter form I wish he was also Captain because Lewis IMO lacks Tom's insisiveness on the field.
Old Boy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net