Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: MTWD Glossary 2.0
Ged 04 July, 2010 06:42
All that said, I'd have thought that we could muster some chants of "Middle Middle Middle Dex Dex Dex" when he is going really well with either bat or ball.

Jonathan Winsky 04 July, 2010 08:02
I hope Vic Marks does not start spouting rubbish about Eoin Morgan on Cricket Writers on TV this morning.

http://www.hof.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2403&p=19514&viewfull=1#post19514

Click here to read why I sensationally sacrificed the big bucks of Chelsea for the adventure of Watford

http://uk.sitestat.com/ecb/ecb-website/s?home.stats.premier_leagues.page.network.sites.middlesex&category=not_logged_in&ns_type=clickout&ns_url=http://bit.ly/4YsurZ------------------ -http://uk.sitestat.com/ecb/ecb-website/s?home.stats.premier_leagues.page.network.sites.middlesex&category=not_logged_in&ns_type=clickout&ns_url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Metropolitan_Line_Heraldry_white_bg.JPG/180px-Metropolitan_Line_Heraldry_white_bg.JPG

(image on left not representative of how relative my support of Watford is to my support of Middlesex)

kimmy 04 July, 2010 16:44
Hey Ged! I like that!!

hey! where is barmypaul when you need him?

Kimmy

pantherlike 27 July, 2010 12:43
Finally got the Broadband on downunda Kimmy!

Dang it Ged, I didn't think of that one!

Haringey Racer 27 July, 2010 13:11
May I suggest 'Ratty' (after Roland Rat) for Toby R-J?

The Diamond ruled ok 03 October, 2010 07:16
Winter evenings drawing in folks , the clocks go back soon and the new signings all need nicknames , the ones they have may stick but be easily bettered by the talented wits (yes that is spelt correctly) of MTWD's masses .

BarmierKev 03 October, 2010 10:51
So far Chris Rogers "Ginger" Corey Colleymore "Stan" and Antony Ireland " Paddy" . Best I can do I'm afraid.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 03 October, 2010 12:02
I have often looked at BJM Scott's initials and thought to myself that with the addition of a couple of vowels you get 'Bejam', although I'm not old enough to remember that company. Like Scott, Bejam was from Middlesex (Bejam was based in Stanmore while Scott is from Isleworth) before losing its place to something with an 'Ice' connection (Bejam was sold to Iceland in 1989 while Scott lost his number seven position to Gareth Berg).

I have been meaning to post that for ages.

Jonathan Winsky 05 October, 2010 16:36
At the foot of an article in the Daily Telegraph, Simon Briggs mentions that Middlesex supporters used to refer to Andrew Strauss as “Only Bats for England”. I am not sure why Briggs uses the past-tense as I still refer to Strauss as 'OBE' (although I don't think many other people on MTWD do so), mainly because his performances for Middlesex are often disappointingly inferior to what he does for England. In 2010, he scored 460 County Championship runs in 15 innings with three fifties and 67 Clydesdale Bank 40 runs in four innings with a best of 26. As for his Twenty20 performances, well he has apparently retired from that format.

I admit a lot of responsibility for the continued use of the term “Only Bats for England”.

Beeamazed 06 October, 2010 08:13
It's obviously Rogers "Clodagh", Colleymore " Wobble(r)" and Ireland "Fantasy"...
When can I can my prize ?(Sm7)

adelaide 06 October, 2010 11:20
OBE traditionally stands for Other B****s' efforts...

Adelaide

kimmy 07 October, 2010 15:51
PLEASE can we not call Corey 'Stan' He might have been a good footballer, but he also beat women, something I happen not to agree with ...

I'll now go away and try to think of another name...

Kimmy

adelaide 07 October, 2010 16:56
Hallelujah? We can chant "Corey, Corey, Hallelujah..."

Ireland - Bankrupt?

I quite like Don for Rogers, though a Spurs fan would!

Adelaide

Ged 07 October, 2010 17:26
Surely Rogers should be Buck. And that isn't a reference to his price tag.....

Jonathan Winsky 07 October, 2010 18:15
Anyone looking for inspiration about what Chris Rogers' nickname should be should type 'rodgers site:watfordobserver.co.uk' into Google and look at the comments in the various articles. 'Brenda', 'Judas' and 'Mr Integrity' are three of the many names Watford supporters use for Brendan Rodgers, although prior to leaving for Reading some people called him 'Buck'.

I think R4C would be a great nickname for Chris Rogers since his namesake Brendan has the disloyalty of Mark Ramprakash while it is hoped that Chris Rogers will score a similar volume of runs to Ramprakash.

As for Corey Collymore's nickname, I don't know many people called 'Corey' or 'Collymore'. He will probably be called 'The Street' after Coronation Street.

It would take this thread off-topic if I said that until about five years ago I believed it to be illogical for it to be OK for females to demand equal rights (which I have no issue with) but to also demand not to be on the receiving end of violence. Don't us males get protection?! I still think it is illogical, but at least I have now learnt that females prefer not to be hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 18:27 by Jonathan Winsky.

The Diamond ruled ok 07 October, 2010 18:27
Not only mentioning football again (off topic) but on very thin ice with your comments about women JW.

I'd be inclined to start wearing a box now so as to get used to it before next season when a boot in the Ballspond Road may well be heading your way from one of our lady posters .

Rogers= Buck , Ireland = Bank of ,Collymore = me old flower.

Jonathan Winsky 07 October, 2010 19:26
I have always been on the slow side at picking up unwritten rules and I will no doubt be slow at ducking boots thrown from Ball's Pond Road (of which I had never heard prior to Diamond mentioning it) when I am next in that area. The last time I was in the area was on 19th September when my parents and I went to Biggin Hill then on the way back got a couple of buses to New Cross Gate, from where we took a London Overground services to Dalston Junction along the former East London Line.

To take this thread back to the subject of cricketer's nicknames, I discovered at Biggin Hill that there was a famed South African World War II RAF fighter pilot who led No. 74 Squadron RAF during the height of the Battle of Britain who was called Adolph 'Sailor' Malan, which explains why on occasions Dawid Malan has been given the nickname of 'Sailor'.

kimmy 07 October, 2010 22:36
Quote:
JW
It would take this thread off-topic if I said that until about five years ago I believed it to be illogical for it to be OK for females to demand equal rights (which I have no issue with) but to also demand not to be on the receiving end of violence. Don't us males get protection?! I still think it is illogical, but at least I have now learnt that females prefer not to be hit.

Ok... I'll put an offender of domestic violence... (which he was) and the phrase works BOTH ways... Although I have to say there are far more female victims that come forward than male..

Incidentialy.... (Sm158) You are far more likely to be assaulted (whether sexually or not) as a male age 16 to 24 years old than a female of the same age... The 'female walking home alone late a night' is rubbish....

Kimmy

Jonathan Winsky 07 October, 2010 23:12
I used to think that violence to males was wrong and violence to females was wrong, but I subsequently learnt that while I got the first part of that correct, the second part should have read "violence to females is more than wrong".

Beeamazed 08 October, 2010 07:03
Quote:
Ged
Surely Rogers should be Buck. And that isn't a reference to his price tag.....

in his CricInfo profile his nickname is listed as a rather effeminate Bucky......ducky(Sm13)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net