Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
20 20 Southgate
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 09 July, 2011 19:58
20 20 Southgate
BarmierKev 09 July, 2011 19:58
I'm away and personally [
have no interest for this match. But guess those in new Vermin Corner and some others are looking forward to game. This thread that hopefully will not disappear and will attract good discussion points.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 19:20 by BarmierKev.

Re: 20 20 Southgate
chunkyinargyll 09 July, 2011 20:16
Squad just announced- NO Morgan or HiFi.

chunkyinargyll 09 July, 2011 20:25
Full 13 man squad-

Dexter
Crook
Dalrymple
Davey
Ireland
McLaren
Murtagh
Newman
Robson
Scollay
Simpson
Smith
Williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 20:27 by chunkyinargyll.

Coops 09 July, 2011 20:33
Its not the strongest side we could put out, but, we have nothing to fear and sometimes that could produce a shock to a Somerset side who have everything to play for.

Jonathan Winsky 09 July, 2011 20:36
Like a few others, I have been waiting all day for our squad to be announced, something which did not happen until 8:08pm. Like I wrote on the T 20 season thread, it is not like I expected Eoin Morgan to play, although Steven Finn's absense is a bit of a surprise. Paul Stirling is absent, which I think is due to Ireland commitments, while Chris Rogers is absent too. The eight others who played on Thursday v Surrey are all in the squad.

As for Somerset, their website says that Craig Kieswetter and Chris Jones have been added to their squad, although they don't mention the precise identities of the other players in their squad. My assumption is that the rest of their squad will consist of the XI who played in their most recent match, which was their win v Gloucestershire at Taunton last night, a result which took their record to seven wins, four no results and four defeats. Their XI for that match consisted of Marcus Trescothick, Peter Trego, Craig Meschede, James Hildreth, Jos Buttler, Kieron Pollard, Arul Suppiah, Lewis Gregory, Murali Kartik, Steve Kirby and Max Waller, with the likes of Nick Compton, George Dockrell, Gemaal Hussain, Alfonso Thomas, Roelof van der Merwe and Charl Willoughby absent for various reasons (actually, I am sure I have read a couple of posts on Grockles saying that Thomas may be fit). The match may have little meaning for us, but the opposite is true of Somerset, as a win could land them a quarter-final at Taunton, while a defeat could eliminate them from the tournament, so I am not expecting a gentle end to the torture of watching Middlesex's home matches! Although this will be Somerset's final match, their final place will not be known until the other counties have completed their programmes, which will happen on Friday.

On most weekend home matches, there are two Winskies present, but tomorrow will be an exception, as my mum will be joining Lower Mound and I.

chunkyinargyll 09 July, 2011 20:49
There is a serious point here- Kieswetter playing for them, and no Morgan or Finn for us, makes a Somerset win even more likely (although picking their under eleven girls would probably be sufficient)

The other counties in the mix are intitled to expect a level playing field, so although in one sense it is niether here no there for us, this is still very wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 20:52 by chunkyinargyll.

kimmy 09 July, 2011 20:52
[quote=Coops][Its not the strongest side we could put out/quote]

Dunno who else we could put out really??? Still no AC and is Collymore's contract not to play T20?

I shall be there..... Got a Temp. Flag!!!

Kimmy

chunkyinargyll 09 July, 2011 20:56
Kimmy-take your kit- you might be playing!

The Diamond ruled ok 09 July, 2011 21:24
Colly isn't out just rested for T20 I think due to an injury before the whole interminable thing kicked off.

No Moggy , no Hi Fi, level playing field ? We are at Southgate Coops , might as well be playing at Plough Lane on that score.

Solid enough squad but Zummerzet on their day with even our top top team out are hard to beat.

I have a few things to sort in the morning and dependent on what time I get my car back depends whether I go or not,love Southgate but shall not be too gutted to miss either the game or the North Circular to be honest.

Good luck to the lads anyway, I think your going to need it.

Jonathan Winsky 09 July, 2011 21:27
Considering a lot of people get worked up about the issue of Eoin Morgan's availability, I am unhappy that no-one backed me up when I wrote about there being a realistic possibility of him playing v Surrey at The Oval in preparation for England playing a Twenty20 match themselves.

As for the issue of David Malan, the club's Facebook page says "Malan has not been available for a few weeks, he is recovering from a hamstring injury".

As for the issue of Corey Collymore, Neil Dexter spoke in the fifth paragraph of an article on thecricketer.com about the need to manage his workload. I believe that Collymore could do a good job in Twenty20 cricket, as he has bowled quite economically in his three Clydesdale Bank 40 appearances this season, although he is accustomed to getting a rest at Twenty20 time, having not added to his six Twenty20 appearances since June 2008. I am not aware if his contract makes any reference to Twenty20 cricket.

chunkyinargyll 09 July, 2011 21:31
Had another look at Somersets official site.

I think it might have changed slightly, but it says "We are pleased Craig has decided to play for us when he could have had a rest"

The key phrase is "could have had a rest"

Could have- but wanted to play. I have no problemn with HiFi- there are times he has wanted to play for us, and has not been allowed, but I interpret 'could have' as meaning just that- the test is 11 days away- need a rest moggy- yes please!

lower pavilion 09 July, 2011 21:43
At the moment I intend to go to Southgate unless it is pouring with rain.

ECB's policy as to who can play for their counties and who can not is totally and absolutely mystifying to me and has been for many years.

However, it does devalue the game when kieswetter can apparently play and Finn and Morgan can not. I suppose at a stretch I could underdstand why Morgan is not playing but why Finn is not playing is bonkers in my opinion.

As much as I love 20/20, the end of our nightmare in this seasons competition is now thankfully only three games away.

Having said all that I shall be wearing pink and cheering the boys on tomorrow.

On paper it looks a Somerset win, but this being sport nothing is certain and the unexpected can happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 21:47 by lower pavilion.

Coops 09 July, 2011 22:05
Whether it's Southgate or Plough Lane, I shall be there supporting the bar, oops, I mean the boys. Come on the Middle. Do the unexpectable.

kimmy 09 July, 2011 23:43
Mmmmm ir might be that I have been out in the sun for too long today, but I have a 'feeling in my water' about tomorrow..... I think we just might do it!!!

I'll go back to the corner again now!!!

Kimmy

The Diamond ruled ok 10 July, 2011 00:17
Coops , glad to see Mrs C is well enough for you to escape nursing duties tomorrow.(No updates.....poor show).

Kimmy,if you have a feeling in your waters maybe it's time you had a word with "Daddy" Dean.

As for JW's "We want Moggy to play for Middlesex" campaign , sorry son most of us live in the real world.

Anyone who takes offence at this post take a look at the timing of it,gone midnight, this is Diamonds alter ego posting, he's been in bed for 2 hours.

Come on the Middle!!!!!

BeefyRoberts 10 July, 2011 08:48
Look around the corporate tents(if any there) and will probably see the drinks waiter there as Finny does a damn good job for England bringing the drinks out,he must be knackered.
Ok,Moggy has played a few games for England of late,has ECB asked us to decide if he has a rest? It does smell a bit as we always seam to get the raw deal on our players.
Will be heading to Southgate,but after working Sat night will be a bit sleepy,if you see me curled up under a hedge give a gentle nudge please!

Jonathan Winsky 10 July, 2011 10:01
Quote:
The Diamond ruled ok
As for JW's "We want Moggy to play for Middlesex" campaign , sorry son most of us live in the real world

It is only when I believe there is a realistic chance of Eoin Morgan playing for Middlesex that I join in with the campaign, otherwise I tend not to join in. When we played three Twenty20 matches between England's second and third Tests v Sri Lanka, I expected that it would be deemed inappropriate for Moggy to switch his attention to limited-overs cricket, so I didn't get involved with the campaign for him to play for us. When we played Surrey at The Oval two days before England had a Twenty20 match themselves v Sri Lanka at Bristol, I thought that he might have been sent to Middlesex to get himself into limited-overs mode, but I think the other posters were too worn out from the previous campaign to join in with my campaign. Now we have a Twenty20 match today one day after the conclusion of England's one-day series v Sri Lanka and 11 days before the start of England's Test series v India, I can identify a few reasons why it would be unlikely that Moggy would play today (I have written about these reasons in previous posts), so I am not too shocked that he is not in the squad.

However, Moggy is a very effective batsman and an enjoyable batsman to watch, all the more so in Twenty20 cricket, so despite it being unrealistic to expect him to play today, I am sad that he won't be playing.

If he isn't going to play for us when there are no reasons for him not playing, then I can't see him playing for us in circumstances like today, when there are a few reasons why it would be unlikely he would play.

Hopefully our depleted line-up can do a good job today, especially as a few other counties will be rooting for us.

chunkyinargyll 10 July, 2011 10:10
Beefy- Personally I don't blame Steve Finn at all. He hs been up and down practically every motorway in the last week, and it would look odd if he played and Morgan didn't.

It looks as though there may be a rule that says you don't have to play for your county within 24 hours of an England game. I say this because the Somerser site states "We are pleased Craig has decided to play for us." That implies he had a choice. True he won't be involved in the tests, and is only incremental contract, but presumably Morgan is no more tired than Kieswetter.

We have 2 more (after today) T20, and a CB40 before next test.

Will he play any of them? Time will tell, but I've always felt there are occassions when it is down to the player himself.

Mike TA1 10 July, 2011 10:28
It does sound like England says to the players if you want some time off from playing you can have a rest if you want to.

My understanding if you have a central contract you are paid by the ECB and if you have an incremental contract you are only paid by the ECB when you play.

If I am correct then I can’t see why both Morgan and Kieswetter should not play.

surbitoncrusader 10 July, 2011 10:29
Why not blood some second eleven players in the team like Surrey did with Ansari

This Middlesex team are on a hiding to nothing...

SC

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net