Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 116 of 117
Re: ON THE MOVE OR GOING NOWHERE.
chunkyinargyll 23 August, 2019 13:25
The biggest firing of the season so far, as 22 year old Haseeb Hameed is released by Lancashire.

[www.thecricketer.com]

I was at Lord's to see his hundred against us in April, and then I understood why some rated him so highly, as it was a quality innings. He really looked the business, but I don't think he's done much since.

There were suggestions he preferred his dad's coaching over the profesional coaching at Old Trafford.

Where will he end up?

Too risky for us? (in the sense we couldn't risk signing a 'high profile' player who might fail).

Jonathan Winsky 23 August, 2019 20:25
A lot of people will feel sad to hear of Haseeb Hameed’s release bt Lancashire, as he gained lots of admirers in bookending his Test career - which has so far consisted of three Tests in India in November 2016 - with 31 and 82 on debut, and by scoring 59 not out with a damaged finger in his most recent Test.

I imagine that a few counties will be interested in Hameed, although I am not sure if the prospect of signing him would be well-received by Middlesex staff, as our management seem reluctant to make signings, and some of our top-order batsmen might feel a bit insulted if we sign him. However, if he can score big runs and if his presence can generate a response from our current batsmen, then I would very much welcome him to the club.

At Essex, Varun Chopra has signed a contract for the 2020 season and Dan Lawrence has extended his contract until 2021.

chunkyinargyll 24 August, 2019 10:05
Kent have signed Jack Leaning from Yorkshire for three years.

That might have been a good signing for us.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2019 10:07 by chunkyinargyll.

Fozzie 24 August, 2019 11:20
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
A lot of people will feel sad to hear of Haseeb Hameed’s release bt Lancashire, as he gained lots of admirers in bookending his Test career - which has so far consisted of three Tests in India in November 2016 - with 31 and 82 on debut, and by scoring 59 not out with a damaged finger in his most recent Test.
I imagine that a few counties will be interested in Hameed, although I am not sure if the prospect of signing him would be well-received by Middlesex staff, as our management seem reluctant to make signings, and some of our top-order batsmen might feel a bit insulted if we sign him. However, if he can score big runs and if his presence can generate a response from our current batsmen, then I would very much welcome him to the club.[/url].

I would hope that our players would be happy to see the squad strengthened. Goodness knows, the batsmen have absolutely no right to feel insulted.

Primrose Hillbilly 26 August, 2019 21:31
I second that, Fozzie. The feelings of an underperforming batting lineup do not count. This is professional, results driven, competitive sport. Shape up, or you will be replaced.

I feel it is only inheriting a pretty bare cupboard that has prevented the Lawman from replacing Gubbins and Eslinazi with guys from either the seconds or from within the first team squad for starters.

adelaide 27 August, 2019 00:41
PH

Absolutely agree. If we were worried about the feelings of our squad we would never sign anybody.

Oh, hang on...

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 27 August, 2019 07:18
'Now lads, this might upset you, but management have decided to recruit a top class overseas batsman, to cure our first innings collapses.

Please welcome.........

(Sm159)

Hilton Cartwright,'

Jonathan Winsky 27 August, 2019 22:38
Faf du Plessis will play as an overseas player for the remainder of Kent’s Twenty20 campaign.

Fidel Edwards has signed a contract at Hampshire for the 2020 season.

At Warwickshire, Rob Yates and George Garrett have signed contracts of undisclosed lengths, while Ethan Brookes and George Furrer have signed two-year contracts.

chunkyinargyll 29 August, 2019 12:56
3 Warwickshire players have signed new deals-

Tim Ambrose until end of 2020 and Ryan Sidebottom and Alex Thomson until end of 2021 season.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

chunkyinargyll 29 August, 2019 14:22
Somerset release Peter Trego.

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

It doesn't say he's retiring, but at 38 he's probably too old to interest anyone but Kent (if they look to replace 43 year old Stevens).

Normally players of that age are given a bit of warning they won't get a new deal, so they can announce their retirement, but as it's a 'no new deal' announcement maybe he is hoping someone will make him an offer.

Jonathan Winsky 29 August, 2019 18:48
Having already agreed to move from Worcestershire to Leicestershire on a three-year contract beginning in the 2020 season, George Rhodes will be available to play in Leicestershire’s remaining County Championship matches this season as a loan player, although he will be available for Worcestershire’s remaining Twenty20 matches this season.

chunkyinargyll 30 August, 2019 12:33
Gareth Berg has left Hampshire, and joined Northants on loan for the rest of this season, and permanently for next year.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

adelaide 30 August, 2019 13:03
"Re-signed" according to the BBC, apparently on the basis that he played for Northants Second before coming to us, though that doesn't necessarily imply he was under contract.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 02 September, 2019 13:37
Ricardo Vasconcelos has signed a new FIVE year deal with Nothants.

They might not even still be around in 2024.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Kraigg Brathwaite has signed as Glamorgan's overseas for their last three championship matches this season.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

And Alex Hales has signed a new two year white ball only contract with Notts.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

chunkyinargyll 03 September, 2019 11:46
Liam Patterson-White has signed a three year deal with Notts.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It is described as his first pro contract, despite the fact he has already made his first team debut for Notts.

I thought you had to be on a pro contract to play for the first team, but I think Sussex did the same thing with Elliott Hooper against us a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think our own Dan Lincoln has a contract (maybe paid on a match by match appearance?). He doesn't appear on our squad page (even though Hafeez who paid us a flying visit is)

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2019 19:38

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 13:54
Roelof Van der Merwe has signed for another 2 years at Somerset.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Mitch Claydon has left Kent for Sussex. Sussex never disclose length of contracts.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

And Northants have signed Doug Bracewell for their last three championship matches.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Just to confirm Somerset groundsman Simon Lee has left Somerset for Hampshire.

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

chunkyinargyll 11 September, 2019 12:02
Ryan Higgins has signed a new contract at Gloucestershire for twenty years.

Okay- make that 4 years, until September 2023.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Current Page: 116 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net