Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 125 of 126
Re: ON THE MOVE OR GOING NOWHERE.
Jonathan Winsky 18 August, 2020 20:15

Jonathan Winsky 19 August, 2020 19:11
Matt Lamb has extended his contract at Warwickshire until 2022

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky yesterday
At Leicestershire, Ireland's Gareth Delany will play as an overseas player in their Twenty20 campaign, although they will not have the services of Janneman Malan, who had previously agreed to play in the two limited-overs competitions and in three County Championship matches

The Belfast Telegraph’s article on Leicestershire’s signing of Gareth Delany adds that Andrew Balbirnie will play in Glamorgan’s Twenty20 campaign and that Scotland’s George Munsey will play for Hampshire.

Jonathan Winsky 21 August, 2020 21:56

Surbiton crusader2 24 August, 2020 22:16

Jonathan Winsky 24 August, 2020 22:49
I am not actually sure whether George Munsey would be considered as an overseas player for Hampshire. However, although he was born in Oxford and plays cricket for a nation that can be accessed from England by land without travelling 'over seas', I don't think it is possible anymore for players to both play as a domestic player in county cricket and represent a nation other than England. Therefore, unless he relinquishes his right to play for Scotland, I assume that Munsey would have to fill an overseas player berth to play in county cricket.

chunkyinargyll 25 August, 2020 07:31
As Scotland aren't a test playing nation I'm sure he counts as 'english' as would Nicola Sturgeon if she signed for Hampshire, (not that she would want to be considered 'english).

If Scotland ever gets independence, it might be another matter.

adelaide 26 August, 2020 18:16
It is Test match status that counts. I presume that for UK citizens (like Paul Stirling) it is actually playing Tests that turns them into an overseas player, not simply eligibility for Tests.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 27 August, 2020 22:58
The Daily Mail report that Somerset’s Dom Bess will sign for Yorkshire on a long-term deal, having previously played there on loan. At least this means that there will no longer be a possibility of Bess and Jack Leach competing at Somerset whenever they are both available for selection but when the team only intend to select one spinner.

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 07:37
Hardly a surprise.

Somerset have always had one of the higher wage bills (higher than us) and Covid 19 will force a few counties to lose people they'd rather keep (plus I expect Bess wants to be indisputably number one spinner at his new club) As Rashid doesn't play red ball, that leaves the road clear for Bess.

Mart 28 August, 2020 14:35
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Hardly a surprise.
Somerset have always had one of the higher wage bills (higher than us) and Covid 19 will force a few counties to lose people they'd rather keep (plus I expect Bess wants to be indisputably number one spinner at his new club) As Rashid doesn't play red ball, that leaves the road clear for Bess.

How can Somerset's wage bill be higher? They only have 22 players and includes youngsters like Aldridge, Bartlett, Goldsworthy, Green, Lammonby, Sale and Young whereas Middlesex have 23. Middlesex will surely have to pay higher wages due to the higher cost of living in London.

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 14:50
When figures have been published in the past, Somerset are always near the top.

Middle in the middle.

A common misconception among non Middlesex supporters is we must be almost as rich as Surrey,with a wage bill to match.

We're not and we don't.

Mart 28 August, 2020 14:57
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
When figures have been published in the past, Somerset are always near the top.
Middle in the middle.

A common misconception among non Middlesex supporters is we must be almost as rich as Surrey,with a wage bill to match.

We're not and we don't.

I knew you were not as high as Surrey as they have 28 players.

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 15:06
It's not to

do with how many players.

It's how much you pay them.

Someone did post a list of county expenditure on players a few years ago, but no idea how to find it.

Did find this-

[www.theguardian.com]

from 3 years ago.

Somerset made a £600,000 profit, meaning they can afford to go high on what they pay their players.

Middlesex need to be more cautious- hence no big signings for a few years and smaller wage bill.

Mart 28 August, 2020 16:30
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
It's not to
do with how many players.

It's how much you pay them.

Someone did post a list of county expenditure on players a few years ago, but no idea how to find it.

Did find this-

[www.theguardian.com]

from 3 years ago.

Somerset made a £600,000 profit, meaning they can afford to go high on what they pay their players.

Middlesex need to be more cautious- hence no big signings for a few years and smaller wage bill.

Surrey's 28 includes 15 players who have represented their country and so will not be cheap.

Amla
Atkinson
Batty
Borthwick
Burns
Clark
Clarke
Curran S
Curran T
Dernbach
Dunn
Evans
Foakes
Jacks
Kimber
McKerr
Moriaty
Morkel
Patel
Plunkett
Pope
Reifer
Roy
Smith
Stoneman
Taylor
Topley
Virdi

chunkyinargyll 28 August, 2020 16:46
I never said Somerset were top of the wage league- I said 'near the top' and more than Middlesex.

This was proved when someone posted a list of each counties spending on players a couple of years ago. It wasn't guesswork. It was the actual figures supplied to the ECB. I've got better things to do with my time than make it up.

Anyway- this is supposed to be a thread about players moving, with maybe the odd comment on an individual move.

chunkyinargyll 02 September, 2020 20:40
Stuart Whittingham (Gloucestershire) has announced his retirement after persistent back problems.

[www.thecricketer.com]

Current Page: 125 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net