Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 3 of 120
Re: ON THE MOVE OR GOING NOWHERE.
chunkyinargyll 25 November, 2011 10:33
Hamish Marshall will be staying at Gloucestershire according to Chief Exec Tom Richardson.

Two different contracts have been drawn up- one based on planning permission being granted, the other not. The length of the contract will be less if planning permission denied.

Still no news on Chris Taylor (source BBC)

Jonathan Winsky 29 November, 2011 23:12
Varun Chopra has extended his contract at Warwickshire until 2014.

Incidentally, the article mentions that Dougie Brown has been named in the recently launched Cricket Scotland Hall of Fame, although what it doesn't mention due to the fact the article is Warwickshire-centic is that Gregor MacGregor, who kept wicket for Middlesex between 1892 and 1907 and played eight Tests for England, was also named.

adelaide 30 November, 2011 00:27
I sincerely hope that Gregor MaGregor qualifies as "going nowhere" rather than "on the move" - that would be a bit scary...

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 30 November, 2011 19:38

Jonathan Winsky 08 December, 2011 14:44

Jonathan Winsky 12 December, 2011 13:03
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on 25th October
Alviro Petersen may return to Glamorgan as a Kolpak player as he appears not to currently be part of South Africa's Test side

thecricketer.com today report that Alviro Petersen's inclusion in South Africa's squad for Thursday's first Test v Sri Lanka implies that his international days are far from over, something which would make it unlikely that Glamorgan will be able to sign him as a Kolpak player in 2012.

Jonathan Winsky 12 December, 2011 14:45
Phil Hughes will represent Worcestershire in the second half of the 2012 season, and Middlesex supporters will be able to pay homage to him when the teams meet for a Clydesdale Bank 40 match at Uxbridge on Sunday 5th August and a County Championship match at New Road beginning on Tuesday 28th August.

Beeamazed 12 December, 2011 15:14
I certainly WONT be paying homage to him.He only played a handful of games.
Homage is for heroes and legends.

The Diamond ruled ok 12 December, 2011 20:09
Homage to Phil Hughes? JW you do have a strange turn of phrase on occasions.

Homage is for God's not bit part overseas players.

Jonathan Winsky 12 December, 2011 21:15
I am not sure how better I could have phrased the post, as my instinct was to write something like "Middlesex supporters can applaud Phil Hughes" or "Middlesex supporters can welcome Phil Hughes on his return to Middlesex soil". However, the first of those options doesn't sound as right as "pay homage", while the second option would be showing a lack of acknowledgement to the likely amount of vermin who will be travelling to the County Championship match at New Road.

Yozzer has a place in my heart after his 574 runs in five County Championship innings (which gave him a lead at the top of our list of run scorers in that competition which lasted for a few weeks after he left) and 308 runs in eight Friends Provident Trophy innings in 2009, and for that to change, he would probably have to sign for Surrey or a surgeon would have to remove him from my heart. I am sad that he has found it difficult to translate the form he showed in his short spell at Middlesex into his international career. However, I acknowledge that his spell at Middlesex was a very short one and hardly makes him worthy of being considered amongst the greats to have represented the club or to have made an impact at the club, and I have no intention of considering him as such. There again, I can name three people who are likely to remember his spell at Middlesex and to continue talking about it for many years: myself, Lower Mound (who enjoyed watching Yozzer bat) and the player himself.

I guess I will have to include writing the word 'homage' amongst the list of things that I have a policy of not doing unless the situation definitely merits it. Other things on that list include dialling 999 (not that I have ever dialed that number) and using the words 'legends' 'tragedy', 'disaster' and 'depressed' (the last four of which are arguably the four most overused words in sport).

Anyway, there is no guarantee that Yozzer will play in the one-day match at Uxbridge.

chunkyinargyll 14 December, 2011 09:33
Well he's said all the right things, about how everyone has made him feel very welcome, and he's looking forward to the challenge. They always say the same thing, don't they- probably the county press officer.

I would love it, if, just for once, someone said something like "To be honest I was hoping to join Lancashire, as that's where I learnt all my cricket, but they didn't think I was good enough, so I've ended up here instead. To be honest, you're my fifth or sixth choice, but this was the only offer I was going to get".

Beeamazed 14 December, 2011 11:22
In his photo he looks about 50 .
A late developer obviously....

chunkyinargyll 14 December, 2011 12:38
I think the photo is David Capel (northants coach), who is indeed, about 50.

Jonathan Winsky 14 December, 2011 16:27

Jonathan Winsky 14 December, 2011 17:25
Simon Cook has put to bed rumours that he may be leaving Kent by signing a contract for 2012.

chunkyinargyll 14 December, 2011 17:30
This will be for considerably less than he was earning before. Another fansite reckons he used to earn 90k a year, and Kent were only willing to offer 24k which is an insulting drop. Maybe Kent improved their offer in the end, but it won't be anything like what he was earning before.

Jonathan Winsky 14 December, 2011 18:53
The latest participant in this sudden spree of players extending their contracts is Jonathan Trott, who has signed a contract at Warwickshire taking him to 2015.

Current Page: 3 of 120

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net