Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 6 of 117
Re: ON THE MOVE OR GOING NOWHERE.
Jonathan Winsky 26 January, 2012 10:44
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on 17th November
In 2011, Derbyshire's overseas player for the first half of the season was Martin Guptill and for the second half it was Usman Khawaja, and they are clearly keen for those two to return in 2012, as Guptill has signed until 12th June and they would like to sign Khawaja for the remainder of the season

Usman Khawaja has indeed signed for the second half of Derbyshire's season.

Jonathan Winsky 26 January, 2012 14:47

Beeamazed 26 January, 2012 15:55
Not unduly worried about that.
Methinks we had the best of the Diggler.

Jonathan Winsky 31 January, 2012 09:48
Muttiah Muralitharan's return to Gloucestershire to play in their 2012 Twenty20 campaign has today been confirmed, even though the deal was always meant to include this year anyway.

Quote:

Phil Jaques has now received a UK passport, so he can play for Yorkshire as a domestic player. I expect they will try to sign someone else to fill their now-vacant overseas berth.

chunkyinargyll 01 February, 2012 15:23
Middle old boy Scott Styris will play for Sussex in this years T20, having also played T20 for Durham and Essex in the past.

Beeamazed 01 February, 2012 15:48
Well past sell by date imho....

chunkyinargyll 07 February, 2012 08:22
Gloucestershire have NOT offered a new contract to Chris Taylor (source official Gloucestershire site) It seems he had an offer conditional on planning permission being granted (which it hasn't). Even if short of money this is a poor way to treat such a loyal player.n It seems Taylor is considering legal action (and who can blame him?).

adelaide 07 February, 2012 12:06
If Chris Taylor was completely out of contract, how can he have a legal case against Glos? Certainly not nice, but almost certainly legally OK, I would have thought.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 08 February, 2012 15:06
The Chris Taylor situation is interesting. If it does go to court I'm not sure who would win.

I remember Chris Schofield taking Lancashire to court when his contract wasn't renewed. He won the magnificent sum of £2,000 but at the time I felt he was very badly advised. The result was that no county offered him a contract for several years (till Surrey stepped in), as a way of letting other cricketers know their chances of future employment would not be enhanced by frivolous action. Apparently Lancashire had failed to interview him and tell him his performances weren't good enough. However, the fact that he was in his final year, and had spent almost the entire season in the seconds should have told him the axe was about to fall, and he would have been much better advised to contact other county coaches for a second chance, rather than thinking he would get tens of thousands from a legal claim.

Apply for any job now and one of the first questions is likely to be 'Have you ever taken legal action against a previous employer?' which they will find out when they take references anyway, so even if you think you have won the battle (with a payout), you have lost the war, as a future employer will be put off at the thought you might take legal action if your contract is terminated for any reason.

The reason Taylor is interesting is because before christmas Gloucestershire Chief exec Tom Richardson haid said they had enough funds to make three signings. This led to me speculating on the signings thread (on 22/12) that they might sign Dan Housego, which ofcourse, they duly did. The point is that makes it difficult for Gloucestershire to plead poverty. Clearly they have decided on a change of direction (three youngsters, rather than a senior pro), but they can't say 'No money' they have just decided to spend the money differently.

The fact they 'conditionally' offered Taylor a contract means they cannot have been dissatisfied with his performance. Also it's now late in the day for Taylor to fix himself up elsewhere, as most county's have done their winter shopping, so his desire to be loyal has been thrown back in his face. I think it will probably be an out of court settlement, as niether side can be sure if they will win- 2 or 3 months pay probably.

Jonathan Winsky 09 February, 2012 09:34

Beeamazed 09 February, 2012 10:12
It's only 4 overs a game don't forget.
It's only our desperate recent batting thats pushed him to the forefront.

The Diamond ruled ok 09 February, 2012 20:43
Wouldn't mind seeing Stirlo play Ajmal.I'll just have to wait for Finals day in Cardiff then.

Jonathan Winsky 10 February, 2012 14:07

chunkyinargyll 10 February, 2012 14:22
Also, Leicestershir have appointed Paul Nixon as 'club ambassador'. Got that story from Grockles. Like them I'm gobsmacked!!!

Mart 10 February, 2012 20:10
Apply for any job now and one of the first questions is likely to be 'Have you ever taken legal action against a previous employer?' which they will find out when they take references anyway, so even if you think you have won the battle (with a payout), you have lost the war, as a future employer will be put off at the thought you might take legal action if your contract is terminated for any reason.

If a reference is asked for an employer cannot give a bad reference. They can give an open reference confirming that the individual worked for the company betweeen this date and that date. I have never been asked that question by an interviewer. As an employer if you know how to treat your employees properly and act within the bounds of the law you have nothing to fear. I'm guessing from your view that your are an employer rather than an employee.

chunkyinargyll 10 February, 2012 20:24
No Mart- get any job application, and it will be one of the questions on the form, before you even get to the interview stage. Many employers won't be interested whether you were justified in taking your last employer to court- They will just think 'trouble'. All I meant was unless you feel there has been an outrageous, major, injustice, you shouldn't do it, because it WILL, even though it shouldn't, count against you if two people are up for a job, and the other hasn't taken legal action. That's what I meant when I said Schofield was badly advised, and it was several seasons in the cold before surrey gave him another chance.

You are right, they cannot give a bad reference, but they can, and will, mention you took legal action against them. Even if you 'won', and got a payout of, say £5,000, the potential new employer will think 'Trouble' Shouldn't, but it's true.

And no, I'm not an employer- it's just wise to think throgh ALL the consequences before taking legal action. even if you win your court case you will find getting another job that little bit harder.

Jonathan Winsky 11 February, 2012 19:18
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky on 11th January
The fact that Glamorgan will be unable to sign Alviro Petersen means that Essex may instead sign him as an early-season overseas player

Several Tweets are saying that Alviro Petersen has indeed signed for Essex as their overseas player for the start of the season, although I can't find any articles with the news

Jonathan Winsky 12 February, 2012 15:40
Although it has yet to be confirmed that Alviro Petersen will play for Essex as an overseas playing in April, May and June, BBC have written an article about the Tweets he made last night on the subject.

Confirmation of the move will probably come when the working week starts tomorrow.

Jonathan Winsky 13 February, 2012 18:41
Essex have now confirmed they have signed Alviro Petersen, although Cricket South Africa have not cleared it yet.

Current Page: 6 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net