Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Middx v Sorry 20/20 Lords
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 22 July, 2013 21:33
Middx v Sorry 20/20 Lords
BarmierKev 22 July, 2013 21:33
After a spate games in various forms, there has been a much needed break for moderators in trying to update the site and equally as important some respite for our players.

Thursday will be sell out crowd, so no gaps in the Pavilion seats then? We are playing our local rivals in a must win game, although potentially we can get away with this if we win at the Rose Bowel.

I've kind of lost the plot with this tournament. As 2 games I've attended I saw us comprehensively beat a poor Kent send and get hammered by a formidable Hampshire side. Yesterday Kent beat Hampshire. Let's hope crucial factors work in our favour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2013 09:12 by The Diamond ruled ok.

Re: Middx v Sorry 20/20 Lords
Jonathan Winsky 22 July, 2013 22:59
I havenít a clue what Middlesex's line-up will be, as Eoin Morgan seems likely to be available, and Steven Finn may be available if the ECB are willing for him to slip out of first-class mode.

If Moggy is available, I can't think of any batsman who have played in the majority of our matches whose form merits being dropped, so maybe a bowler will make way. Paul Stirling hasn't done a great deal in this competition, but he hit Lewis Hatchett for 22 off an over v Sussex at Hove on Tuesday, scored 48 off 41 v Gloucestershire 2nd XI in a Second Eleven Trophy match today and is ultimately a dangerous player in limited-overs cricket regardless of form, and should thus retain his place.

I don't know whether this match will be played on the same pitch as the second Ashes Test. If it is, then it will probably end up taking lots of spin.

After losing their opening match v Hampshire at the Rose Bowl, Surrey won their next four matches but have since lost their last two. This will be the first time in almost four weeks they will have played a Twenty20 match away from The Oval. Hopefully Kevin O'Brien will not be a thorn in our side this time. I think Glenn Maxwell's time with them has ended, although it seems Ricky Ponting is still there.

Considering nearly half of the 18 counties qualify for the quarter-finals, it seems surprising that there is still a lot of work for us to do despite currently having a 63% win percentage, but that is how tight it is.

I will try to sneak out of work at 5:00pm due to the expectation of a full house.

BarmierKev 22 July, 2013 23:05
I wonder how many of their "2nd XI" players will be in their line up.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_Man 23 July, 2013 09:20
Possible team:

Stirlo
Mala
Denly
Voges
Moggy
Rosso
Dex
Bergie
Ollie
Mills
Finn

Batting down to 10. Pace/seam 4. Spin 5 options. All to be spread over 20 overs. Moggy will be a welcome addition in the fielding ring.

Patel
Helm
Sandhu
Wilkins

as back up.

surbitoncrusader 23 July, 2013 09:28
Stirling is having a really bad season he was out for a duck at Guildford last Saturday playing his first match of the season for Sunbury bowled I think three wicket less overs fielded most of the match first slip

Sunbury lost by two wickets and were without John Maunders, Adam London Andrew Balbirnie and Stuart Poynter so we did well to only lose by two wickets,!

SC

lower pavilion 23 July, 2013 09:32
I will of course be going and I am really looking forward to the game and being part of what hopefully will be a huge crowd. It seems 20/20 is alive and well and going from strength to strengh and I for one am delighted.

As it was in The Test Match let us hope The Pavilion is full to capacity and also the behaviour throughout the ground from those attending is as good and pleasant as it was for The Test Match.

Turning to the game itself. One thing 20/20 has taught us is that current form is often a poor guide to working out who will win.

Our visitor's strength so far it seems has been in their bowling and fielding.

As for us, it will be interesting to see if Finn and Morgan can and do play. In my opinion if available I would pick both of them.

However either way, I believe the team we put out should and will be too good for the team from across the river.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2013 09:41 by lower pavilion.

surbitoncrusader 23 July, 2013 09:36
Adding to my earlier post Stirling, Granger and Stanier were all golden ducks batting for Sunbury

SC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2013 10:49 by surbitoncrusader.

adelaide 23 July, 2013 09:49
How quickly we've gone from "Patel must be a fixture" to seeing him as back-up.

Adelaide

WayOutWest 23 July, 2013 09:58
PATEL MUST PLAY!

Seaxe_Man 23 July, 2013 10:05
You need to add Adelaide, WOW. Instead of whom? I think you will find as I did. A tricky choice.

One of those situs, where for once, we are spoilt for choice.

And as lp said. Good luck to those who make the final call. The pitch probably the decider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2013 10:08 by Seaxe_Man.

WayOutWest 23 July, 2013 10:36
Berg or Rayner, I don`t care whom, PATEL MUST PLAY!

dingy bags 23 July, 2013 10:47
Does depend on the wicket - if it is the test pitch, as JW suggests, then Ravi has to play.

If you want me to nominate who drops out - Bergie this time.

[This assumes that Finn can play]

chunkyinargyll 23 July, 2013 11:16
Morgan didn't play in yesterdays second XI trophy game, and isn't named in todays 3 day match.

I'm sure he could have played the first day or two of the 2nd XI match, and then been substituted.

So- if he does play on Thursday he will be going in cold after a fairly lengthy lay-off.

Anyone else would need an outing in the 2's to acclimatise.

Is he such a special case that he plays with no sort of a warm up at all- and- if he plays- will he be playing for himself or playing for the team? Playing for yourself means showing off by attempting to reverse sweep your first delivery rather than playing the situation.

lower pavilion 23 July, 2013 11:59
In my opinion Morgan is a very special talent indeed and hopefully he will play if deemed to be fit and ready.

It surely goes without saying, as with all our players, when picked they will of course put the team first in front of individual glory etc. In 20/20, batsmen at times have to take chances and sometimes it backfires. I was at Radlett and the general feeling was that Morgan was extremely unlucky to be given out first ball.

As regards one spinner or two, for me it is impossible to predict, as of course it depends on the wicket that is to be used on the evening

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2013 12:25 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 23 July, 2013 12:58
Initially I thought "instead of Finn" as fast bowlers tend to go for a few in T20, but that would leave us a bit short of bowlers. Perhaps Ollie, unless it is an obvious spinner's pitch, or perhaps Stirlo, though I'd be reluctant to lose the chance of the impetus he can give us.

So yes, difficult. To be honest, it was more that I was struck by the contrast between posts from before the Borewickshire match and now!

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 23 July, 2013 15:04
chunky. Many moons ago there was a Burt Lancaster Film called 'The Sweet Smell of Success'. Did you ever watch it?
Morgan was'nt available as you desire, as apparently he was practicing with the England squad at that time to test his fitness.

With a broken finger on the mend. I guess no further risks were warranted.

Once you are called by the England Hierarchy, only the Lord is a higher calling.

Ok he is going in cold. Is that reason enough to leave him out when every man and his dog, including yourself, are saying he needs time in the middle however brief?

If the EH give us the nod. Cannot see we will not select him.

Patel I agree has a v.strong case for inclusion. The tricky bit as I opined, is for whom?

Goes without saying as every match in the 'Group of Death' has been. A must win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2013 15:09 by Seaxe_Man.

freddie tittlemouse 23 July, 2013 18:45
Morgan's time in the middle could not be any briefer than his previous visit. Very special talent maybe (although not as special as he and some others seem to think). Committed to Middlesex success? Maybe not.

Haringey Racer 23 July, 2013 19:32
Quote:
adelaide
Initially I thought "instead of Finn" as fast bowlers tend to go for a few in T20, but that would leave us a bit short of bowlers. Perhaps Ollie, unless it is an obvious spinner's pitch, or perhaps Stirlo, though I'd be reluctant to lose the chance of the impetus he can give us.
So yes, difficult. To be honest, it was more that I was struck by the contrast between posts from before the Borewickshire match and now!

Adelaide

I'll stake what little reputation I have around these parts by saying there's no way we'd ever leave Stirling out of a T20 if he was available and fit.

middle_luke 23 July, 2013 19:44
Seconded, HR. no chance of Stirlo being dropped!

dingy bags 24 July, 2013 14:50
Finn not in the squad, so it looks like:

Malan
Stirling
Denly
Voges
Morgan
Rossington
Dexter
Berg
Rayner
Mills
Patel

Can't see Davey or Sandhu playing.

Plenty of firepower in the batting and we have all seen the answer in the bowling - plenty of slow overs.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net