Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 10 of 55
Re: Football thread another new one
BeefyRoberts 21 September, 2014 18:07
Putting rivalry aside, Frank Lampard is one true professional player.Was on the cards he would score, kept his feelings to himself.
End of game was great scenes, and he just gave a superb interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2014 18:08 by BeefyRoberts.

Seaxe_Man 25 September, 2014 09:11
Typical Fulham. Bottom of the 92 clubs with one point but in the last 16 of the Cap One Cup while a lot of the Big Bozo's have gone.

With the departure of The Cat, stories are now coming out from former Fulham players. Hangeland told of how with his hamstring trouble, he was advised by The Cat to sleep with a lump of cheese strapped to his leg as a cure.

In addition to speed the cure, he was advised to speak to his mother, as the cheese re-acted favourably to that.

Danny Murphy also had a middle page spread in The Standard on Tuesday which confirmed much of what the punters thought during the Jol Era.

Spillage 27 September, 2014 12:17
On the way for a pre match beer before our game this evening.

Oh When The Spurs Go Marching In

COYS
FOGS

adelaide 27 September, 2014 13:08
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Putting rivalry aside, Frank Lampard is one true professional player.Was on the cards he would score, kept his feelings to himself.
End of game was great scenes, and he just gave a superb interview.

Full marks to the Chelsea supporters as well.

Years ago, Pat Jennings was carried off in a Spurs vs Arsenal cup game, to the most tremendous applause from all corners of the ground. I think everyone feared that at his age it might have been his last game (it wasn't). His rick had let Garth Crooks score the only goal earlier, so it would have been a sad way to finish.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 29 September, 2014 16:38
Due to Oscar Garcia requiring rest after recent health problem, Watford have appointed ex-Fulham coach Billy McKinlay as head coach. It is a shame that Garcia had to be admitted to hospital the day after what turned out to be his only match in charge, and remained there for a couple of weeks, before being able to watch Saturday's 2-2 draw at Blackburn Rovers from the directors box. McKinlay was only brought to the club on Friday, so I am not sure whether he came to the club realising there was a possibility he may soon after find himself in the top job. As Garcia's problem was with his heart, some people speculated the club may find themselves once again searching for a head coach within weeks of Garcia's initial appointment.

In the first two seasons subsequent to the Pozzo family taking over the club in the summer of 2012, two Italian head coaches and several players from Udinese and Granada were brought to the club, and it was accepted that our squad didn't quite have the 'Britishness' required to grind out results in the Championship. Therefore, it was great that this summer saw Lloyd Dyer, Keith Andrews (Republic of Ireland may not be Britain, but it is part of the British Isles) and Craig Cathcart brought to the club, alongside Heurelho Gomes and Gabriel Tamas, who had both played in the Premier League, while Friday's installment of McKinlay to the coaching staff was also great to see.

The resignation of Beppe Sannino and uncertainty about Garcia has made it an unsettled season so far, but the fact we currently sit 4th and hopefully no longer have to worry about the head coach position gives hope of the remainder of the season being smoother and the team remaining at the top end of the table.

For some years, I had been hoping that I could see Watford play Brentford at some point, mainly because the Bees are the only Football League club whose badge contains the Three Seaxes. My wish will be granted at Vicarage Road tomorrow evening. However, I will be unable to end the next match at The Vic v Brighton & Hove Albion due to Yom Kippur taking place this coming Saturday. Therefore, I have informed the club of this, meaning that if my seat is sold to someone, the club will donate half of the price of a standard ticket to The Peace Hospice and the other half to the club's Community Sports & Education Trust under the Say No To No Shows scheme. Those two charities stand to make £13 each.

The Diamond ruled ok 30 September, 2014 21:15
Huge game on at the moment and my BBC score thingy won't update it!!

Anyone know the score in the Watford v Brentford game ?

Jonathan Winsky 30 September, 2014 23:40
I am relieved Watford secured a hard-fought 2-1 win v Brentford, especially as we tended to draw or lose these type of matches last season. Both goalkeepers had to be at their best to keep the score down.

The Bees should be able to retain their Championship status this season, and it would be nice if they go on to establish themselves in the division and then achieve their ambition of getting into the Premier League once they move into their new stadium, although hopefully that won't be at Watford's expense!

BeefyRoberts 04 October, 2014 10:48
Fan owned Portsmouth pay all their debts off 2 years early, incredible considering the club was on their knees and close to going out of business.Still get over 16,000 in the fourth division.
Well done all, shows not every club needs an overseas sugar daddy.

adelaide 04 October, 2014 12:12
"All their debts" may be technically correct for the current Portsmouth club, Beefy, but I think you'll find plenty of creditors of former regimes who have been at least partially shafted.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 04 October, 2014 12:35
Sadly, as we know when a club goes into administration its always the bottom of the chain that suffers.
The ex-owners always get away with the mess they leave behind, one person I know of still carried on going to other clubs and causing financial melt-downs.He has now disappeared from the radar.I suppose he has creamed off the clubs he was involved with and doesn't need to be in the game anymore.... Peter Ridsdale.

adelaide 04 October, 2014 13:11
Beefy - We should not forget that it was precisely the sugar daddy phenomenon that got Portsmouth into a mess (as well as the Cup) in the first place. The cry goes up about FFP - but then clubs cannot break into the elite. If the sugar daddy is in it permanently, the club would remain financially OK. If they lose interest, lose their fortune, get put inside, financial meltdown is inevitable if the club itself is not generating anywhere near enough income to pay the bills.

The problem with allowing the permanent sugar daddies to spend what they wish is that it encourages other clubs to take financial risk that they should not, with or without the involvement of sugar daddies (most of whom seem to be anything but permanent).

Before LP chimes in, I think the presence of FFP has concentrated his club's mind wonderfully. They have bought well, funded by selling well. We could argue about whether they should have been able to get the players they sold well in the past, but this summer's dealings look like excellent business in all senses.

Adelaide

The Diamond ruled ok 04 October, 2014 20:23
Bees win Fulham lose.....normal Saturday service resumes.

lower pavilion 05 October, 2014 18:30
(Sm46)(Sm46)(Sm46)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 18:52 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 05 October, 2014 18:47
LP - You're one short if that is meant to be the selection panel for the new Fulham manager.

Adelaide

lower pavilion 05 October, 2014 18:54
Adelaide

I changed it because I thought blue looked better.

adelaide 06 October, 2014 00:42
You're now two short, LP. Or you should be showing the three red cards your manager says should have been given to the Pushy One's team.

Adelaide

Beeamazed 06 October, 2014 06:33
The mighty Barnet now 5 points clear and
nowhere near top gear yet.
Funny old game...(Sm105)

adelaide 06 October, 2014 10:27
And they can do it even though their ground is apparently controlling my heating at home...

Adelaide

Beeamazed 06 October, 2014 13:08
Elaborate please old chap..(Sm55)

adelaide 06 October, 2014 14:17
Ah yes - Barnet ground now The Hive, I believe, which according to an advert is controlling my heating at home while I roller-skate with an elephant or something.

Seemed like a good idea to post at the time but perhaps it's got more in common with the Word Association thread!

Adelaide

Current Page: 10 of 55

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net