Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 55 of 55
Re: Football thread another new one
chunkyinargyll 29 February, 2020 19:07
Heartiest leap day congratulations to our good friends Winsky and Finnsky on a famous victory,they'll no doubt be dancing in the streets of Watford tonight (Sm60)(Sm60)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 00:37 by Gezza of the middle.

BeefyRoberts 02 March, 2020 21:50
10 games left,Forest drew tonight.
10 games for my nerves to hang on.
Huddersfield (H),Cardiff (A),Fulham (H),Luton (H) are the next four.

Followed the team for 48 years,since 1972,when watched the FA Cup final and after winning 1-0 I turned to my mum and dad and muttered those immortal words....I'm going to start supporting Leeds now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 21:53 by BeefyRoberts.

chunkyinargyll 03 March, 2020 07:46
Back in the day when the only live soccer match on TV was The FA Cup Final, everyone looked forward to it with great anticipation. It was viewed as a national event and of great significance.
It was the first and only opportunity for children to watch soccer at the top level and it was not unusual for them to ignore family loyalty and local allegiance and commit to a lifetime devotion to one or other of the participating clubs. One often encounters this explanation today.
It's very different today with a daily diet of live soccer from all over the world on our screens and laptops, many clubs treat the competition with undisguised contempt and an irritable intrusion in the season.
Think yourself lucky Beefy that Leeds did not lose that final, or you might have committed yourself to a life of unmitigated shame and embarrasment following their opponents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2020 13:18 by Gezza of the middle.

Quiz time
chunkyinargyll 04 March, 2020 00:08
Couldn't resist another quiz question, not to difficult.

He is the all-time record goalscorer for a current Premiership soccer team, as well as scoring over twenty thousand runs in county cricket who was he?

I've tried to set up a cricket quiz thread on here in the past with little success. , Should anyone be interested in participating perhaps they could start a separate thread for that purpose and see how we get on.(Sm55)

-Wally Mendelsohn---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------===============================================================================+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==================================================================================================--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 00:18 by Gezza of the middle.

New Boy 2 04 March, 2020 17:16
Seagulls!!

I didn't know that until just over a week ago when I was chatting to a bloke who is a BHA fan who told me that their record scorer successfully played county cricket.

Sadly, he wasn't as successful in the travel business as his company went bust last year... ;-)

chunkyinargyll 04 March, 2020 17:38
Not as unsuccessful as the bloke we're talking about Newbie who topped himself soon after his sporting career ended, and whom you still haven't named.

chunkyinargyll 06 March, 2020 02:55
He was, of course, Tommy Cook, and if you google him you'll see what a fascinating bloke he was and details of a play recently written about his life.

BeefyRoberts 17 July, 2020 21:13
Just thought I would mention it....
LEEDS ARE GOING UP.

I was 8 yrs old, watched the 1972 cup final and didnt follow a team, we beat Arsenal and I just said to my mum and dad...I'm going to support Leeds now.
I cried on my bed in 1973, my dad said.. it's only a game.
Followed every result.
We had friends in Huddersfield (how ironic!) we visited them, I was about 13/14 I suppose. Saw how close Leeds was and just kept on, and on, and on about wanting to see Elland Road, they took me, I fell in love with the ground.
Roll on a bit..started work and started to go by train to the occasional game.
Moved jobs and joined the Underground, and my dream was fulfilled, I bought my season ticket had that for 3 years in the N/E Upper stand.
I cried when we went down in 2004, we had numerous owners who just wanted to kill us off, we had to sell the ground and training ground to survive, we had 3 years in the 3rd division ( that REALLY hurt me), we had the worse managers you can imagine, I include Wise in that, and Warnock, and many others!
We got bought again a few years ago, and 2 years ago a guy called Marcelo Bielsa turned up, used most of the squad who finished 14th the year before, and got them to nearly go up last year, I watched the play-off on my tablet in Vegas, how i didnt throw to off the balcony i don't know.
And, now, 16 years later, and being Leeds for 48 years, we have done it! We have gone up.
The smile on my face putting the last bit you cant imagine!
So, there is my life as Leeds, as they say.
One Leeds, always Leeds.
Our anthem goes...... And we've had our ups n downs. We sure have had that.

Waffles a bit, but felt I had to!

MARCHING ON TOGETHER.

MB 17 July, 2020 22:14

BeefyRoberts 20 July, 2020 19:38
Promotion Friday, Champions Saturday, beat Derby Sunday.
Think that's called a rather decent few days in football.

Am I milking this? Yep, milking it enough to open a dairy!
One last hurrah on Weds evening, home to Charlton. Lee Bowyer back for last game in Championship.
My Moet is still chilling in beer fridge, the cork will pop after the game when trophy is lifted.
🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

BeefyRoberts 23 July, 2020 00:17
And there you have it, the season has ended.
We wave goodbye to the Championship at long last and get ready to start in the premier league.
Some sing the song...'Leeds,Leeds are falling apart again'
We laugh.
Our anthem of 'Marching on together' is much better.
Our anthem has been played at home many times since last weekend.
It's time for bed, sleep off the Moet, dream of the past season, and what's to come.

MOT my friends..MOT

Current Page: 55 of 55

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net