Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 5 of 19
Re: Somerset at Ciderabad 25-28 Sept 2017
hdo 26 September, 2017 09:52
Any Somerset fans complaining that we get treated more fairly as a "big" county might wish to have a look at the points deducted column in the league table. The same column which is looking increasingly like it will be the deciding factor in our demise this season.

I'd like to think the ECB will take the opportunity to make up for their enormous Arrowgate error and save us at the last moment with a points deduction for Somerset - indeed this would be a great chance for them to do so - but I very much doubt this will happen.

Re Arrowgate, I'm not sure who's more to blame - the ECB for upholding their stupid decision, the umpires for cocking up the job they promised to do after the game, or the idiot who fired it in the first place.

AGod 26 September, 2017 09:52
It can only be rated 'below average,' if it turns excessively and it is the designation of two such 'below average,' pitches in a twelve month period that would then incur a penalty.

The 'poor,' designation applies only to excessive seam movement or pronounced uneven bounce.

It used to be the case that excessive turn could also incur the 'poor,' designation but this was removed before the start of last season in a bid (by the ECcool smiley to encourage turning tracks.

I think we may have got a 'below average,' designation for the game with Durham last season, but that was in July so no longer within the twelve month time-frame. That was also a rather different sort of track as Durham's seamers absolutely tore through us twice, whilst our spinners took almost all of their wickets - so it was a track that gave abnormal help to all types of bowler.

There haven't been very many big turners at Taunton this season, compared to last. The Lancashire game (played on this same pitch) took some turn but nowhere near as much as yesterday so I think it very unlikely that the turn for the Lancs game would have been deemed 'excessive,' and thus the track designated as having been 'below average.'

So, from a point of view of ECB action in terms of this game (rather than the Oval game) I think your only hope of such action is if there is exaggerated uneven bounce today.

Incidentally, another reason why Mr Noon may be waiting is that his view on yesterday and/or that of the umpires might have been "Rubbish shots from SCCC batsmen caused almost all of the dismissals rather than the unplayable balls," so he may be waiting to see how many unplayable balls come along today, though he can still only hit us with the 'poor,' rap if the unplayability is due to bounce abnormalities. With the ball already 16 overs old, I'd have thought it likely that any abnormalities would have been most likely to show up in that final session yesterday, when the ball was at its newest and hardest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 09:56 by AGod.

adelaide 26 September, 2017 10:07
There is a difference between animosity and disagreement, Jonathan!

One point stood out to em from one of the reports from yesterday, which was that a batsman was dismissed when Patel got sharp turn from footmarks from the previous game, which I believe was two weeks ago. Obviously footmarks from the current match will come into play but sharp turn out of old footmarks on day one?

There won't be a deduction for the pitch unless a whole collection of vipers' nests is discovered. Too sensitive at this stage of the season. There are questions in my mind as to just how far away from the norm it is acceptable to deviate, given that away players have probably played once before, at most, on those conditions, but that is more about "fair play" than the laws and Durham, for one, produced some excessively seamer-friendly pitches at one time.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 10:43
The end of play today, and Mr Noon's verdict is going to be the most important event of the day.

3 possibilities-

1) Mr Noon declares himself completely happy with the pitch, and its preperation.

2) He isn't happy, and declares it 'poor' (or whatever term you wish to use), but says it is the first occurance this year, so a suspended deduction of 8 (or is it 16?) points will be carried over to next season.

3) Somerset have already had a poor rating for a championship pitch this year, in which case a points deduction should apply.

It seems fairly clear if Somerset are deducted points, it will be because of the cumulative effect of preparing this sort of pitch again and again over the last season and a half, so they could hardly complain if the verdict was, 'You've done it once too often, and pushed your luck too far'.

Uxbridge, by comparison, was a one off, and the covers problems were certainly not 'intentional' but the Somerset pitch clearly is 'intentional', because it what they produce time after time.

Now- should Ravi go to Australia? I mean, 7-81 is quite impressive, isn't it?

You see, if he was playing at Taunton every week, he would rack up 70 wickets a season on the evidence of yesterday. I'm not saying Leach and Bess aren't good bowlers- but just how good are they really?

It completely skews their career figures, and makes them look like worldbeaters. Leach might well get picked for Oz, and then we'll see if he is really as good as those artificially inflated career stats say he is.

My guess is Noon will go for option 2- suspended sentence, but it will at least mean Somerset won't be able to continue with this skullduggery net season.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 10:52
Adelaide- Durham's seamer friendly conditions were more to do with overhead atmospheric conditions. I remember one day (the one sunny day of 2015 or was it 14? in Durham) we put them in, and watched them make something like 320-2 on day one (can't be bothered to check exactly what it was)

5 down (i agree a run out is 'self inflicted')

Surbiton crusader2 26 September, 2017 11:38
Follow on avoided now edging our way to the magic 250 target

SC2

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 11:50
I can't see us getting to 200, but speculation 200-8 dec might be in order- follow on avoided by a considerable margin, and 'trying to move the game forward (not deliberately throwing the match), Plus, we can ask umpires first if it is 'in order'.

tallliman 26 September, 2017 12:15
Not sure that'll happen 118/8. Need a deduction for the pitch.

AGod 26 September, 2017 12:28
Well your cause will not have been helped by a run out and an attempted hit over the top from Voges right at the start of the day.

Since then you received a questionable lbw decision against Malan that *might* play in your favour viz the pitch. I think it was questionable because I didn't think it turned enough that it should have been given.... but for the umpire to have given it he must have thought it turned a ton..

Primrose Hillbilly 26 September, 2017 12:47
This is a great one for controversy, isn't it?

The Exterminate Cricket Bureau have issued an edict that spin friendly pitches are to be encouraged (- so next year let's play the Champion County vs MCC in Mumbai for the first two days, then relocate it to Galle for the second two ! - it's not as if they have the paying punter's interests at heart at all, is it ??)

So, now, we have a debate as to whether this pitch is just a little bit too spin friendly .......

AGod 26 September, 2017 13:06
Quite so, Primrose..... I might be wrong but my impression is that the ECB have done everything they can to egg Somerset on over the past couple of seasons....... the ECB are desperate for prospective Test players to see a sharply turning ball before they get to Galle or Sydney, and hence the change...

Certainly, whenever there has been any question of our pitch being reported over the past two seasons, the ECB have been quick to scotch any suggestion of it being a problem..

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 13:10
We'll find out around 6 pm (half an hour or so after play finishes for the day)

Wayne Noon must have something to say, otherwise he wouldn't have told the media he'll speak to them then.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 13:22
Right-

Bowl them out for 100, and chase 200.

Primrose Hillbilly 26 September, 2017 13:35
Time for a clear out.

I've never thought much of Voges. All I saw of him was to flog Crane's bowling around at MTS two years ago, which the stick of rhubarb could have done on its own then. OK, no one else wanted the captaincy in Franco's absence, but I've been very disappointed with his almost un-Australian batting.

Not sure what the use of Compton's been for for a few years, apart from to eye up anything in a skirt in the Tavern.

Franco scored a crucial tom vs Essex early in the season, but what's he done since?

If they're good enough, they're old enough, so let's give Holden, Higgo, Helm, Harris all long goes in the first team, and be prepared for a few failures early on in return for a bit of long term investment in our home grown's. Oh, and Harry Podmore, (and Havi Hatel too).

AGod 26 September, 2017 14:53
Poor old Compdog still not found a replacement for Lady Posh, then?

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 14:58
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly

Not sure what the use of Compton's been for for a few years, apart from to eye up anything in a skirt in the Tavern.

[www.yorkmix.com]

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 15:02
Anyway, better to have won the county championship 13 times, and get relegated, than to have never won it at all.

SouthgateEmerald 26 September, 2017 15:28
Pitch playing ok now.......I think we've blown this......

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 15:40
One of Somerset's 'defences' is that many times the pitch becomes easier to bat on as the game goes on.

Clutching at straws, but who knows?

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 15:54
Might be rain from 3 pm tomorrow- but dry Thursday.

As Somerset HAVE to win, how far ahead will they want to get before they think about a declaration?

If no play after tea tomorrow, it might be a case of 'Is there any way we can survive four sessions?' (if batting gets easier). I reckon they will bat till lunch tomorrow (assuming not bowled out).

Current Page: 5 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net