Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 7 of 19
Re: Somerset at Ciderabad 25-28 Sept 2017
chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 18:33
Stumps at Edgbaston, with Warwickshire 0-0, so 72 runs ahead, with all 2nd innings wickets intact. Weather forecast there is dry for rest of the match, so a result highly probable, and hopefully the result we want.

In a perfect world, I'd like us and Somerset to both stay up, and it may just be possible....

AGod 26 September, 2017 18:44
ECB probably planning to hit Somerset with the deduction only if Hants would otherwise go down... after all, they did everything that they could to keep their pal, Bransgrove, up last year so wouldn't be a surprise if the same this year.

Jonathan Winsky 26 September, 2017 19:13
I couldn’t follow any of today’s play (and I doubt I will be able to follow the remainder of the match), as I started a new job, so I don’t want to get caught attempting to use my computer for anything other than work.

I was disappointed when I saw the score when I returned home. However, the fact that the posts made this morning anticipating that batting would get easier seem to have been proven correct gives me hope that Middlesex can somehow avoid defeat. Failing that, hopefully Hampshire will lose to Warwickshire. I am fairly sure that Kyle Abbott is NOT out of that match, as although he couldn't complete his second over of Warwickshire’s first innings, he came back to bowl five more overs, and he opened the bowling in their second innings.

Well done to Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling on being our only batsmen to make decent scores.

James Harris has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

hdo 26 September, 2017 19:15
If we were in Somerset's position (ie ahead, and likely to survive) I highly doubt I'd be spending my time on their message board baiting their fans. Instead I'd be celebrating the positives with my fellow fans. But each to their own.

AGod 26 September, 2017 19:49
We're counting no chickens, hdo, either in terms of the match itself (track is usually very hard to take wickets on on day four) or in terms of Mr Bransgrove's ability to get the ECHB to do his bidding.

Cried on Sky 26 September, 2017 19:52
Whatever happens from here... we should not forget the facts that it was our own slow over rate against Surrey and the odd tactics in the Essex home that have left us here.

Control the controllables, and we haven’t. Forget (hard though it is) the lack of the follow-on or the lead of 450, I recall Eski and Simmo only needing 40 from 10 overs against Essex for an extra batting point that we failed to get. These things are the reason we are in this mess.

Let’s forget arrows and pitches, those are outside our control. I don’t like being negative which I realise I am being, but we should only look inward if the worst should happen.

We are now entirely in the hands of the bottom team in division one, they have shown a lot of pluck and with two days left and Jeetan Patel up their sleeve I am relatively confident they will do us a huge favour.

But, if they don’t, we should not blame the ECB or Robin Hood or the Somerset groundsman or the umpires in the Essex away game (although, f*** me some of those decisions were horrible).

Not sure what else to say, I hope that in 48 hours everything will be rosy.

Middle Middle Middle!
Warks Warks Warks!

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 19:55
When people start posting conspiracy theories, it is very difficult to know if the poster really means it, or if it is a joke.

Can you give me a clue, AGod?

I expect if the pitch deserves a points deduction it will get one, and if it doesn't, it won't.

That's how these things usually work, unless one set of supporters have a completely unwarranted persecution complex that there is a conspiracy theory to get rid of them, because they don't have a test ground, and it's a damn long drive from Lord's.

Bring back the Crusaders 26 September, 2017 21:13
We might end up creating a bit of History.
Has any other side been relegated the season after winning the Championship?
Are we appealing the points deduction against Surrey and if so when will the outcome of the appeal be announced?
Don't think Yorkshire are completely out of it or are they safe?
Think Gus has to reflect on some of the decisions made this year from the tactical disaster against Essex,the reluctance to bring in new young blood to replace the likes of Franklin and the circus that was our T 20 cricket.

Cried on Sky 26 September, 2017 21:22
Dealing with your questions in order:
Yes, I believe (without looking it up) Notts and Lancs have managed this dubious honour in recent years.
No, that is a done deal, there is no more recourse to appeal (apart from the court of arbitration for sport so who knows....)
Yorkshire are now safe.
Yes, entirely agree sir.

Jonathan Winsky 26 September, 2017 21:26

Cried on Sky 26 September, 2017 21:31
Adam Voges might have found more assistance in the surface if he had landed the ball on it more often.

That from Dobell, having watched a fair chunk, is well deserved.

AGod 26 September, 2017 22:22
Chunky - to be honest, I do not really trust the ECB... I think it would be very convenient for them if the "City based teams," are also the members of CC1 by the time that their T20 dross competition starts.

Wayne Noon said, yesterday, that he'd had a "hot line," all day so it sounds as though he was 'taking representations,' whereas what he should presumably be doing is just making his own determination (in consultation with the umpires) and not receiving 'suggestions,' from interested parties be they Gus Fraser, or Chris Rogers or any other interested (i.e. biased) party.

I'm not at all sure why the time that he was planning to say something keeps changing, either..it makes me wonder whether something odd is happening behind closed doors.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2017 22:32
If Hampshire go down, all the problems go away, because both the crossbow incident (without which Middle would already be safe) and suggestions of 'poor' pitches go away.

Anything else will leave people thinking the outcome is unsatisfactory.

If the leaks are to be believed, the ECB hasn't been seduced in to thinking Jack Leach is the greatest spinner in the land, as he hasn't made the Ashes tour party.

As I said before, the helpful conditions he plays in has given a false impression of how good he is.

AGod 26 September, 2017 22:36
But that nice Mr Bransgrove would throw all of his toys. When he did that last year, he got his way. I imagine that he has altogether too much influence with the ECB though I may, of course, be wrong.

Cried on Sky 26 September, 2017 22:40
Yes, you are wrong, We only have ourselves to blame for this.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2017 08:44
So- What to do today?

Well, for a start I wouldn't bowl Patel, Stirling, Voges or Malan at all today.

They get through their overs far too quickly. We must be well in the blue on the over rate, so a diet of Murtagh, Harris and Finn bowling no more than 28 overs between them in the first session would do me fine.

Set defensive fields. Bowl well wide of the off stump (not wides!!!) so they have to chase the ball, or bowl down the legside a bit. Just be as thoroughly defensive as possible to dry up the runs. I wouldn't even try to bowl them out now. Just try to delay the point when they think they have enough to declare.

This pitch has turned (pun intended) out to be like many at Taunton. Excessive turn early on, and then it all calms down, and becomes the Taunton of old again. Therefore 350, even 400 won't make Somerset totally safe. They need to win- but would they actually make an over generous declaration (because they want as long as possible bowling at us)

Anyway, take our time this morning. No point bowling more overs than we need to. The onus is on them to declare, as they need the win.

Rain will end the day at either 1, 2, or 3 pm, depending which forecast you look at, which means we may not bat till day 4, and now the pitch is so slow, surviving a day on it is not impossible.

Haringey Racer 27 September, 2017 09:14
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
This pitch has turned (pun intended) out to be like many at Taunton. Excessive turn early on, and then it all calms down,

Has it? Or did we, like much of the season, just bowl a load of tripe?

fivestar 27 September, 2017 09:49
Can't help thinking if we had played Max Holden this year we would be better off not only regards to relegation but next season as well. We a bowling club from top to bottom.Need to start thinking RUNS!!! Time for Anderson ,Scott, Holden,White etc etc ( imo)

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2017 09:49
HR- All I know is it is quite common for the innings totals to get bigger as the game goes on at Taunton. I don't pretend to understand pitches, but to get away from the bad old days of 600-5 dec, 550 all out, 300-6 type draws Taunton always used to produce it seems the groundsman has to practically vandalise the pitch (to get the first two innings over in a day and a bit) then it all goes dead again, and batting becomes easier. Because they need a win, I did think this one might be different, but, true to type, batting now appears to be much easier.

freddie tittlemouse 27 September, 2017 09:55
Well we may well get away with it courtesy of Hants but no-one can deny it has been a very unsatisfactory season. I will bang on about not having a decent no. 7. Whoever gave Franklin a 3 year contract when he was over the hill and has failed to tie down Higgins to a new contract has some questions to answer.

Current Page: 7 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net