Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 21 of 24
Re: Madness
chunkyinargyll 29 May, 2019 06:55
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
In the Evening Standard, it is reported that the proposed name for the team which will play in The Hundred at Lord’s is ‘London Spirit’. About the only clue there is about the proposed names for the other seven teams is that the team which plays at The Oval is likely to include ‘London’ in their name too.

How about 'Lord help us' and 'Ovaload' for the two London teams.

tallliman 29 May, 2019 07:38
London Spirit is surely Fuller's attempt at entering the gin market not a cricket team?

chunkyinargyll 29 May, 2019 07:47
Headingley sand for the yorkie franchise.

Edge of Darkness for Edgbaston,

chunkyinargyll 29 May, 2019 13:09
Some completely uninspiring names for six of the teams has been decided.

[www.standard.co.uk]

Months to come up with names, and this is the best they can do.

dingy bags 29 May, 2019 19:03
Absolutely, Chunky. What happened to the idea that the names would reflect something of the modern cultural significance of the regions these teams represent?

One long conveyor belt of drivel.

chunkyinargyll 29 May, 2019 19:05
One of the better twitter suggestions (bearing in mind Middlesex will be joining forces with Northamptonshire) is London Cobblers.

Jonathan Winsky 29 May, 2019 23:21
In the Daily Mail, it is reported that the reason why the name of the team based at The Oval is yet to be announced is because Surrey and Kent could not agree on a name, despite being given the options of London Fuse, London Rebels, London Union and London X. Well, I refuse to rebel against orders from my union who discourage me from buying tickets for this tournament.

The headline of the article reporting this started with ‘ECB's Hundred plans scuppered by name farce’, which gave me hope that the article might have been to announce that the competition had been cancelled. Sadly not!

One of the comments I have heard about the team at Lord’s being named ‘London Spirit’ is that Londonders used their spirit to see off the blitz, so they will use their spirit to see off The Hundred too.

BeefyRoberts 29 May, 2019 23:30
Having seen these fantasy names,this 100 madness just makes me even more angry.
What are the ecb drinking/smoking?
It's more drivel that continues to baffle me.
What next? Ground name changes?
I dispare,I really do.
Going to try and sleep now in Worcester with these franchise teams running through my head.

Our game,our lovely,poor game is slowly getting ruined by a bunch of fools 🙁🙁😥😥

chunkyinargyll 30 May, 2019 07:32
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
In the Daily Mail, it is reported that the reason why the name of the team based at The Oval is yet to be announced is because Surrey and Kent could not agree on a name,

London Kents?

adelaide 30 May, 2019 08:40
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
[url=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7083981/ECBs-plans-new-100-ball-tournament-scuppered-farce-Oval.html]The headline of the article reporting this started with ‘ECB's Hundred plans scuppered by name farce’, which gave me hope that the article might have been to announce that the competition had been cancelled. Sadly not!
One of the comments I have heard about the team at Lord’s being named ‘London Spirit’ is that Londonders used their spirit to see off the blitz, so they will use their spirit to see off The Hundred too.

"London Pride" would have been the obvious link to wartime but perhaps Fullers and the estate of Noel Coward objected.

Adelaide

adelaide 30 May, 2019 08:57
Oval Teenies?

Adelaide

Haringey Racer 30 May, 2019 10:18
"Welsh Fire" may cause problems with/for the existing Cardiff Fire ice hockey team (not the full-time Cardiff Devils, but the team currently in the third tier of the sport). I bet the ECB haven't even heard of them.

Bagpuss 30 May, 2019 18:29
Southern Brave are a Texan rockabilly group with a website (southernbrave.com), Facebook, Twitter and youtube presence, which I doubt the ECB nor their costly marketing brainstormers noticed.

Southern Brave's 2018 album? Bringing You To Hell. The title track could become the Rose Bowl team's walk on music!

chunkyinargyll 28 June, 2019 08:34
South London franchise to be named Oval Grates Greats.

Apparently Surrey wanted 'OVal Rebels' as they still don't want the hundred, but ECB vetoed it.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

BeefyRoberts 28 June, 2019 09:21
Oval Greats?
Yep,and good luck to them,as franchise CC news slowly seeps out,and Warne has been linked to the franchise CC side that has been invented for Lords as team.coach.
And,a figure of £65,000 was also mentioned as the wage.
No wonder so many media,ex players from home and overseas have been banging their drums about how good this rubbish is/will be once the £££ carrot is dangled.
It still amazes me that the fool known as Harrison says it's already a success.
How can anything that hasnt even taken place be a success?

You can guarantee that even if the grounds dont (hopefully) get filled,they will say record ticket sales.
I hope that any merchandise they flog to the hundred public doesn't get shown on display at county grounds before or after this circus has taken place,as it has nothing to do with the county game.
You will be seeing ticket offers at fast food chains,cereal boxes,probably at petrol stations as well...buy 4 litres of un-leaded and claim 4 tickets to a game..buy at a petrol station in Southampton,get 4 tickets to see a game in Manchester!
The more rubbish pushed out by ecb,the more of a bitter taste I get in my mouth about all this.

Haringey Racer 28 June, 2019 10:30
If they're going for the family audience maybe it could be the Oval Teenies.

adelaide 28 June, 2019 10:50
Oi HR, no! Look a few posts up...

"Oval Greats" grates and will look stupid if they are consistently bottom. But my main feeling is that it should take something other than being selected for a match to become a Great. The true Oval Greats of my time. whether or not I liked them as players - Edrich, Barrington, Laker, the Bedsers, May...

Adelaide Great

BeefyRoberts 28 June, 2019 12:00
I have just sent I fo of this 100 rubbish to my cousin in Australia,asked him to send to his cricket friends,and clubs,so they can see the disaster the ecb are setting up.
He will spread the word about this massive mess on the horizon.

Haringey Racer 28 June, 2019 13:31
Quote:
adelaide
Oi HR, no! Look a few posts up...
"Oval Greats" grates and will look stupid if they are consistently bottom. But my main feeling is that it should take something other than being selected for a match to become a Great. The true Oval Greats of my time. whether or not I liked them as players - Edrich, Barrington, Laker, the Bedsers, May...

Adelaide Great

Oops. Great minds and all that. Must be the Southgate air.

chunkyinargyll 30 June, 2019 07:25
I've decided to put this link on the madness hundred thread, even though at first glance there may not seem to be any connection.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

It seems like good news for the players, but look what the ECB have agreed to. Minimum a county can spend on playing staff doubles to 1.5 million, with the maximum up to 2.5 million, increased retirement packages etc, presumably funded by the 1.3 million each county will receive from the hundred.

So- if the hundred goes down the pan, as it surely will, then all counties have significantly increased their outgoings for ever more.

The increase in wage bills for the smaller counties (many of whom currently only spend around a million on playing wages) will surely see them go under if the hundred fails, and the extra income dries up.

Current Page: 21 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net