Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: Madness
BeefyRoberts 21 October, 2019 12:14
I see some counties are now adding links to this devils game via social media,although,as we know it has nothing to do with county cricket.
Myself,I dont like that,let the franchise rubbish promote their own devils game (sorry Jeff,I must use your description of something else!) and the counties should be just focusing on what they play.
It's bad enough as it is,without being shoved down our throats by the clubs we follow and support.
On Twitter,The Cricketer Magazine has done nothing but go on and on about it,like nothing else exists! On that alone,they have lost me as a customer and wont buy another copy..well done.
That old England captain,Vaughan,is making a complete prat of himself as well.
Wednesday this week will be interesting,those two clowns,graves and harrison are facing a committee to explain the ways forward for cricket after winning the 50 over world cup.This is being held by the DCMS Select committee in the Grimond Riom,Portcullis House,starting at 1430 hrs.
One of the people who will be questioning the clowns is Andy Nash.
I'm going along,to see if can gain access to watch and listen!

Seaxe_man1 21 October, 2019 12:21
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Maybe those of us who can afford it should all become Leicestershire members.
Nothing to stop people being a member of more than one club.

That would swell Leicstershire membership to 10 times what it is now, ensure their financial stability, and enable them to strengthen their squad.

Leicestershire must be top of the ECB's hit list of clubs they'd secretly like to see go under.

Mike- it seems you can pay people on a match by match basis, or give them a short 4 week contract.

You wouldn't want to add to your costs by paying someone for 52 weeks a year when you are only going to need them for 4 weeks.

Leicestershire, Derby, Northants are in a stronger position on that front chunky than Mx..

Leics own the ground and have an indoor sports hall at the end opposite the pavilion which is used by local clubs who I imagine reimburse them with rent year round.

They also have other areas which can be hired out as required.

Derby likewise own the ground and have a huge marquee which they hire out for functions throughout the year. Their members said it was a good earner.

Northants apart from owning the ground, own the pub outside and several properties.

They have also have set up the Northants Trust, with capital that started in at one million which earns interest. This to ensure first class cricket remains at Wantage Road for the future.

Good luck to all of them....

This year had stay overs at Worcester, Derby, Glammy and Lanky. All of whom boast far better member facilities than we have.

Sussex Seaxe 21 October, 2019 15:57
I have no interest in this new tournament. Whether that remains the case, we shall see, as I am a firm believer in people being able to change their mind and sometimes it takes maturity to do so. At present though, I couldn't care less; I avoided watching the draft yesterday in favour of the Strictly results show!

Two points can be made though, in my view.

1) I don't blame the players a bit. If I was a good cricketer, I would do all I could to maximise my earnings for my own and my family's benefit. When I worked regularly (semi-retired now), I would have been delighted if someone offered me a lot of money to do something I was good at, even if it was being paid by somebody other than those who had trained and developed me.

2) To suggest that Worcs, Derby, Glamorgan and Lancs have better member facilities than us, is, with great respect, laughable. It may be true when we play at outgrounds, but to suggest that the Lord's pavilion is not superb is ridiculous. Yes, I know it's not ours, but we have all the privileges of it when we play there and it is one of the benefits of our partnership with MCC.

Seaxe_man1 21 October, 2019 16:29
SS. Have you visited any of those grounds to compare? There is certain criteria to meet to use Lords facilities. At Glamorgan away fans are provided with free tea and coffee before play and at teatime. What is laughable would be the likelihood of being provided that service at Lord's. Food at the others is better priced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2019 16:34 by Seaxe_man1.

Sussex Seaxe 21 October, 2019 16:40
SM - all except Lancashire. I accept that there may be individual things which might be considered 'better' and I'd rather not have to wear a tie to enter the pavilion, but I submit that the view, the service, the range of facilities, the atmosphere and the history are second to none.

Seaxe_man1 21 October, 2019 16:53
The history side I would concede though Lancashire would dispute that I would say. Their pavilion area is large and spacious and has lots of history. A talk was held by one of their former players on the recent passing of an old player. Well conducted. Pie chips and gravy at four quid or so ago had a massive queue. So, SS we will agree to disagree on some aspects.

chunkyinargyll 21 October, 2019 16:53
The history is indeed second to none.

As are the prices for food and drink.

I load up with provisions at the petrol station between St John's Wood station and the ground.

Seaxe_man1 21 October, 2019 17:29
You know the ropes chunky. Most of us stock up at Tesco's on the way down from SJW Stn.

BarmierKev 21 October, 2019 18:15
I'm finding the latest daft more depressing than what is currently going on in Parliament.

My observation for now is how Leicestershire fans must feel having no players in this nonsense. Despite the insult, It might give them a better chance when it comes to proper stuff?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_man1 21 October, 2019 20:00
On paper keV they should be ,50L favourites. Their 1st team against second eleven bolstered sides. Northants are short of only Rossington.

rod/ed 21 October, 2019 20:30
Quote:
BarmierKev
I'm finding the latest daft more depressing than what is currently going on in Parliament.
My observation for now is how Leicestershire fans must feel having no players in this nonsense. Despite the insult, It might give them a better chance when it comes to proper stuff?

I'm sure Kev would think Cosgrove would be a shirt sponsor's pick !

adelaide 21 October, 2019 21:58
SM

Belongs on the football thread really but in response to your post, Sessegnon has been injured for most of the season, or I think we would have seen him. Poch played Dele Alli almost immediately when he was available and if Sessegnon looks good enough (and he struggled in a poor team last season) he'll be in; Spurs can't afford to stockpile talent (if they could, some of the five replacements needed would already be there). Speaking of which, if LP is lurking I'd like to say how good it is to see some of the Chelsea youngsters getting a decent run under Lampard and it is clearly him as well as the transfer ban.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 21 October, 2019 22:53
Back to the intend thread please,no room for football.
Let's look at the ramifications of what is happening to our wonderful game.
The wrecking ball driven by the ecb is swinging and is needed to be stopped

BeefyRoberts 22 October, 2019 09:17
Isa Ghua (probably spelt wrong),has put an article on twitter,sadly I cant do the link,if anyone can.
Talking about all the negativity towards the franchise rubbish,and is 'sick of it'.
Few have backed her,but the majority are still against it.
She cant see it's not the players who are wrong,anyone would jump at an extra income,its the ecb clowns who have caused all these arguments and will cause divisions in cricket.
Will the counties whose grounds are used,try and tap up players of other clubs to sign for them...
Come and join us,will make sure you get another franchise contract next year for £££??

Sussex Seaxe 22 October, 2019 09:34
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
The history side I would concede though Lancashire would dispute that I would say. Their pavilion area is large and spacious and has lots of history. A talk was held by one of their former players on the recent passing of an old player. Well conducted. Pie chips and gravy at four quid or so ago had a massive queue. So, SS we will agree to disagree on some aspects.

That's absolutely fine SM. Civilised disagreement is a healthy sign on for a such as this.

BeefyRoberts 22 October, 2019 10:49
A thought.......
Players in this franchise thing will be missing for longer than first thought from clubs.
1 Practice and get use to a new format
2 Meeting up with new team mates
3 Will the players be staying away from home for the duration of this rubbish?
4 Once this rubbish has finished,will the clowns at ecb want players rested before rejoining their real clubs?
5 Will form be affected,just like when one CC game is played between t20 games?
6 Will the grounds taken off counties be ready to accept the real clubs back after the rubbish finishes?
7 Will every ground holding this rubbish have promotional material on show during county games?
8 At Lords,they dont advertise Middlesex games inside grounds on posters,will they for franchise rubbish?
9 Will counties advertise this rubbish during the real season?
10 Will counties be selling the dreadful shirts in club shops during the real season?
Just a few questions!

chunkyinargyll 22 October, 2019 12:03
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Isa Ghua (probably spelt wrong),has put an article on twitter,sadly I cant do the link,if anyone can.
Talking about all the negativity towards the franchise rubbish,and is 'sick of it'.
Few have backed her,but the majority are still against it.
She cant see it's not the players who are wrong,anyone would jump at an extra income,its the ecb clowns who have caused all these arguments and will cause divisions in cricket.
Will the counties whose grounds are used,try and tap up players of other clubs to sign for them...
Come and join us,will make sure you get another franchise contract next year for £££??

Isa works for Sky, so obviously she thinks it's fantastic (even if she doesn't)

Watching on Sunday I got the impression some of the Sky people were a bit sheepish about it, because I'm sure they've all had more negative responses than positive.

So they knew they were hosting something that the majority of real fans are dead against.

adelaide 22 October, 2019 13:47
Beefy - My attempt at answers in capitals below.

I don't see the format of the Hundred as a big issue, or one presenting different demands of players. At least, much less difference than that introduced by T20 itself. The franchise competition could easily have been T20, or T16 to cut down the time for TV.

The real objection is in the first three words of the previous sentence - it is a franchise competition that cuts across and threatens some of the existing counties. If (say) the existing county T20 competition had simply been Hundredised, we might moan about it (as many did when T20 came in) but it would not have been the end of the world.

Adelaide

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
A thought.......
Players in this franchise thing will be missing for longer than first thought from clubs.
1 Practice and get use to a new format - WHY? - DEMANDS ARE SAME AS T20
2 Meeting up with new team mates - DOUBT IT. T20 PROS PLAY THE DAY THEY FLY IN!
3 Will the players be staying away from home for the duration of this rubbish? WHO CARES? - UP TO THEM
4 Once this rubbish has finished,will the clowns at ecb want players rested before rejoining their real clubs? CONTRACTS SURELY WITH FRANCHISES, NOT ECB
5 Will form be affected,just like when one CC game is played between t20 games? WON'T HUNDRED BE CONTINUOUS?
6 Will the grounds taken off counties be ready to accept the real clubs back after the rubbish finishes? EXPECT SO - IT'S ALL SUPERFICIAL
7 Will every ground holding this rubbish have promotional material on show during county games? PROBABLY - THEY ADVERTISE POP CONCERTS THEY ARE HOSTING
8 At Lords,they dont advertise Middlesex games inside grounds on posters,will they for franchise rubbish? PROBABLY, GIVEN MCC IS EFFECTIVELY ONE OF FRANCHISEES.
9 Will counties advertise this rubbish during the real season? UP TO THEM - YES IF THEY ARE PAID OR ARE MORE FEARFUL OF HUNDRED FAILING THAN OF IT SUCCEEDING.
10 Will counties be selling the dreadful shirts in club shops during the real season? YES IF IT EARNS THEM MONEY?
Just a few questions!

Seaxe_man1 22 October, 2019 14:07
Apparently some bloke called Warren Ladd has gone on Twitter saying the 100 will be great stuff. Reckons T20 is just a pxss up.

BeefyRoberts 22 October, 2019 14:20
Had latest Glamorgan email/news.
Stating in early January,members can obtain franchise rubbish tickets at a reduced rate!

Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net