Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: CC v Sussex, 4-7 May 2018
Patsy_Hendren 04 May, 2018 11:46
A sound selection. It was a question of where Holden bats. I guess that Barber over Helm accommodates Harris's return.

chunkyinargyll 04 May, 2018 11:48
Sussex want to charge £4 to watch live stream for the match.

I won't do it- because it will encourage other counties to follow. As far as I know, they are the only club to charge.

BarmierKev 04 May, 2018 14:50
I’m just relieved that Sussex have problem catching. Just now the 4th put down.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

middlefan 04 May, 2018 14:53
Deeply depressing. Let's hope the tail can bail us out...

hdo 04 May, 2018 15:39
Quote:
hdo
I'd probably leave out White and Barber, which puts Cartwright at six, Simpson at seven and Harris at eight. Very strong batting, but Cartwright would have to act as the fourth seamer. Not sure what order the top four (Gubbins, Robson, Holden, Eski) would go in.

It didn't go the way I predicted here, but the one thing I got right was the addition of another batsman and Simpson at 7. Very strong batting, I said. Yet the top order failed AGAIN.

chunkyinargyll 04 May, 2018 16:47
Well played Amanda.

Shame he ran out of partners to end on 84 not out.

230 may yet be a good score, particularly baring in mind Sussex dropped six catches.

middlefan 04 May, 2018 16:47
Well batted Max Holden. A brilliant innings. He deserved a ton.

Jonathan Winsky 04 May, 2018 19:44
By taking four wickets before the close, this may have been a good day for Middlesex. However, it would have been nice to have posted a higher total and to have recorded more than 2 batting points in four matches. Unless this match ends in a tie or there is a crossbow fired, the number 2 will surely also feature in either our win column or our loss column after this match, so hopefully it will be the former.

We will surely enter tomorrow’s play with the aim of achieving a first innings lead. Sussex will surely be equally keen to deny this to us.

I am glad about Max Holden making a big score, something which helped both the team’s cause and his future prospects. He has spoken to our Audioboom page about today Hopefully he will remain in the side for the rest of the season, even when Paul Stirling and Eoin Morgan become available. However, it would have been nice had Holden’s team-mates scored more runs. If Sussex find batting difficult, then that would make our batting performance more forgivable, but if Sussex bat well during the remainder of the match, then we would find ourselves wondering we why were all out for 230 inside 73 overs.

I am surprised that Tom Helm is not playing, especially as two of our matches saw him hardly bowl and the other did not see him bowl excessively. Maybe it is to ensure he is totally fit for next week’s match v Gloucestershire at Lord’s, when we will be without Tim Murtagh and may be reluctant to expect too much of Steven Finn if we select him. Helm’s absence is good news for Tom Barber, who I imagine will have a big role to play in this match due to our bowlers not having have many runs to play with.

The Cricketer has produced a report of today.

chunkyinargyll 04 May, 2018 19:53
No idea who The Cricketer's Sam Morshead is, but he does seem a bit clueless- describing Max Holden as 'The former Northamptonshire youngster'

No, you pillock. He's been with Middle since he was about 13 or 14, and we loaned him to Northants for most of last season.

adelaide 04 May, 2018 22:00
Never judge a pitch etc etc.

Charging for the live stream is interesting. Two ways of looking at it, I guess. One is that it provides a reason not to actually attend the match, thus loses income. The other is that it could get a wider audience interested and some of those may come to matches, thus you gain income. People have rightly been claiming that the absence of free-to-air cricket is partly responsible for the decline in the game but it really needs to be publicised much more widely, perhaps by the ECB.

Adelaide

Patsy_Hendren 05 May, 2018 09:49
It is encouraging that Holden has yet again proved his versatility in the batting order. This will serve him well.

hdo 05 May, 2018 11:37
Is anyone watching the stream?

I'm trying to pay my £3.99 but the website doesn't seem to be working. Very annoying.

snicko 05 May, 2018 12:28
Had the same problem yesterday - only works if you purchase 24 hour pass.

Jonathan Winsky 05 May, 2018 12:34
As many counties offer a live stream for free, I don't see why I should pay to watch this match.

Hilton Cartwright's batting has been disappointing during his time at Middlesex, but thankfully he has pleasantly surprised me with his bowling, and has taken both wickets to fall this morning.

I would have liked more wickets in the first 90 minutes of today, but the fact Sussex haven't been able to score quickly so far means that we remain hopeful of a first innings lead.

LegendJMB 05 May, 2018 13:20
Suspect scores for 1st innings won’t be too far apart. This should mean conditions are good when we bat again. However, with the scores this year so far it’s hard too feel too optimistic. Hopefully, more of the batsman will hit form.

snicko 05 May, 2018 16:20
In Tom Barber, Richard Johnson faces his biggest ever challenge. Having watched him bowl 18 overs in this innings, I’m being generous in saying that possibly 5 balls would have hit the stumps !

chunkyinargyll 05 May, 2018 16:30
And that's the problem.

You can bowl at 120 mph, but you won't be a threat if the batsman doesn't have to play anything.

Someone a little slower, but mor accurate, might have picked up a wicket or two.

This is slipping away from us.

chunkyinargyll 05 May, 2018 16:57
Somebody strangle the bl00dy seagull.

hdo 05 May, 2018 17:24
I like Robbo, but he has to be dropped now. Can't buy a run. When he goes out to open the innings it's hard to feel confident.

Seaxe_Man 05 May, 2018 18:21
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
No idea who The Cricketer's Sam Morshead is, but he does seem a bit clueless- describing Max Holden as 'The former Northamptonshire youngster'
No, you pillock. He's been with Middle since he was about 13 or 14, and we loaned him to Northants for most of last season.

Not unusual chunky. The media brigade are often loud on opinions but short on research.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net