Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Fixtures release date
Discussion started by BeefyRoberts , 14 November, 2018 11:07
Fixtures release date
BeefyRoberts 14 November, 2018 11:07
It has been posted on Twitter the fixtures are to be released on 27th Nov.
In two parts,County and 50 over in the morning,and t20 at 5pm.
No idea about whether seeding is included in the county championship,we wait with baited breath!

Re: Fixtures release date
Jonathan Winsky 14 November, 2018 20:15
In the last few seasons, the first few rounds of County Championship matches have tended to start on a Friday and thus offer lots of weekend day, albeit with caveats such as play not being guaranteed due to the weather and state of the match, and the football season still being on. However, once the football season has finished and I am able to devote my full attention to cricket, it seems that most of Middlesex’s remaining Championship matches offer little or no weekend play. I imagine that this issue will arise during the 2019 season too.

At the post-season forum, Richard Goatley said that we are likely to play five Championship matches at Lord’s next season and that we are likely to play one match at Merchant Taylors’ School. He also said how many Twenty20 and Royal London Cup matches we are likely to play at Lord’s, although I didn’t catch what he said, as I was reporting on the forum and was writing down the amount of Championship matches he said we will play there. In 2018, Lord’s staged all seven of our home Championship matches, five T20 matches and one RLC match. However, the ground’s availability will be reduced in 2019 due to it staging five matches at the World Cup and Test matches v Ireland and Australia. It will be interesting to see whether we will have any matches scheduled for there after the Ashes Test in mid-August, as demolition is scheduled to begin on the Compton and Edrich stands at this point, which may impede spectator access at the Nursery end.

If the seeding system is introduced for deciding the fixturelist in division two of the Championship, it will be interesting to see how it will work. I see it as being impossible that a fixturelist will be created which everyone will see as being fair, as some teams will perform to a higher or lower standard than expected, and each team will probably have different ideas of what a fair fixturelist would be. In theory, it would be unfair if any side has to play the maximum amount of matches against the top sides, but I would actually like that to happen to us, as that would give us maximum opportunity to take points off the top sides. However, sides struggling at the bottom will probably have different ideas. What all of the counties will surely agree with is that it would be preferable to have the maximum amount of matches against the bottom sides.

BeefyRoberts 22 November, 2018 08:17
On Twitter,there is a posting with a release time of 10am on Tuesday for the County Championship fixtures.
Does anyone know,with the Counties we played only once last season,is there a reverse and we play those twice next?
Obviously with Warwicks going up,would one of the relegated counties be played just once?
Will there be floodlit county games again?

Jonathan Winsky 22 November, 2018 19:25
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Does anyone know,with the Counties we played only once last season,is there a reverse and we play those twice next?
Obviously with Warwicks going up,would one of the relegated counties be played just once?

I am not sure if this will happen. If a seeding system is introduced, my assumption would be that it will be aimed that the total strength of each side’s fixturelist will be of an equal strength taking into account previous seasons’ performances, i.e. there shouldn’t be a situation whereby one team going for promotion gets to face all of the struggling sides twice each while another team going for promotion only faces the struggling sides once each. If there is to be a reversal of the teams we only played once in 2018, then the teams we will face twice will include Leicestershire, Durham and Glamorgan after we only faced those teams as well as Warwickshire once each.

Since the present format of the Twenty20 competition was introduced in 2014, our fixturelist in that competition has always seen us play each of Glamorgan and Kent once and play the six other teams twice each, so if that continues in 2019, we will have a home match v Kent and an away match v Glamorgan.

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Will there be floodlit county games again?

Despite the overwhelming majority of supporters, players, coaches, club officials and journalists saying that day/night County Championship matches don’t work, I would be surprised if the concept is abandoned, as England’s management claim that these matches prepare players for whenever they play day/night Test matches. In saying that, after England played day/night Tests v West Indies (home), Australia (away) and New Zealand (away) in a short period during 2017 and 2018, they have played none since and appear not to have any confirmed in the future. However, I believe that a few international sides like staging such matches, so I imagine that England’s management will be keen for county players to continue playing day/night Championship matches.

chunkyinargyll 26 November, 2018 13:39
Seems Hampshire will be playing a championship match on the Isle of Wight in May.

Wonder if it will be us

Scrub that.

Forgot they are still in Division one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2018 13:42 by chunkyinargyll.

BeefyRoberts 26 November, 2018 15:45
I heard it's a deal with Hampshire playing on Isle of Wight for 4 years,so a chance yet for us.
Tomorrow is the day,excitement with my diary ready,annual leave form to fill in after checking shift pattern,2 or 3 away trips with luck.

Sussex Seaxe 27 November, 2018 10:24
Fixtures out. No evening Championship games, hurrah. Just one evening RLI game, at Canterbury. Championship games at MTS and Radlett. Even a couple of games in July!

adelaide 27 November, 2018 11:23
I thought that the Radlett ground had been considered unsuitable for a four day match hitherto. I expect that the match will do quite well from locals though, just because of the novelty. I might be doing my cross-country walk from the wastelands if Borehamwood again.

One oddity is that both the outgrounds mentioned so far are not actually in Middlesex! Admittedly OMT is only a short distance outside (yes, I know its postal address included Middlesex but it has always been in Hertfordshire).

Uxbridge and Richmond to feature in the T20, I would imagine.

Adelaide

stockmos 27 November, 2018 11:28
"on March 26, when a new era of cricket for Middlesex under head coach Stuart Law gets underway with a three-day first-class game against the university students of Oxford MCCU at Merchant Taylors’ School in Northwood."

Is this right?

chunkyinargyll 27 November, 2018 11:37
Stockmos- Yes. First couple of games v Universities count as First class.

This looks a better balanced fixture list than I had feared, with the championship better spread out, and at least this year we get to play Glamorgan twice. Please don't let it rain on those eight days, as we need the points.

3 out of 4 50 over matches at Lords rather than the one in 2018.

BeefyRoberts 27 November, 2018 11:48
Not one outground to visit next year.

Annual leave for is on table to fill in,diary filled along with shift patter.

Glamorgan,Worcs,Lancs are main ones to visit

stockmos 27 November, 2018 11:52
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Stockmos- Yes. First couple of games v Universities count as First class.

Thanks. But not listed here:

[url=https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/english-mcc-university/fixtures][/url]

Edgedtothekeeper 27 November, 2018 11:54
Not sure why people are moaning about Radlett getting a 4 day county game, just because it's just outside Middlesex. Richmond are in Surrey, and we all know why they get a 20 over game. It's called games for the boys.....

chunkyinargyll 27 November, 2018 12:01
[www.middlesexccc.com]

If we've got a three day fixture v Oxford Uni (which we clearly do) it will be First class.

This only applies to the first two university matches (because the assumption is counties will be putting out their best XI)

Once the season 'proper' starts, the assumption is counties will at best only put out 'half a first team' so after that such fixtures aren't considered 'first class'.

adelaide 27 November, 2018 12:44
Quote:
Edgedtothekeeper
Not sure why people are moaning about Radlett getting a 4 day county game, just because it's just outside Middlesex. Richmond are in Surrey, and we all know why they get a 20 over game. It's called games for the boys.....

I'm not moaning about it! Just pointing out that until now (I thought) that Radlett was considered unsuitable for anything beyond a one day match. The "outside Middlesex" thing for both outgrounds is a curiosity rather than something to moan about, though presumably Uxbridge is considered a worse option and the relationship with Southgate seems to have gone belly up a good few years ago.

Adelaide

stockmos 27 November, 2018 13:25
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
https://www.middlesexccc.com/news/2018/11/2019-championship-and-one-day-cup-fixtures-announced
If we've got a three day fixture v Oxford Uni (which we clearly do) it will be First class.

This only applies to the first two university matches (because the assumption is counties will be putting out their best XI)

Once the season 'proper' starts, the assumption is counties will at best only put out 'half a first team' so after that such fixtures aren't considered 'first class'.

Thanks, that seems to be 100% correct. So there will be first class cricket played (weather permitting) on March 26. Before the clocks go back, so it's going to be pretty gloomy by the scheduled 6.30pm close, with sunset at 6.22pm.

Edit - the game will start at 10am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2018 13:58 by stockmos.

BeefyRoberts 27 November, 2018 15:58
County start days for 2019
Saturday 1,Sunday 3,Monday 6,Tuesday 2,Weds 0,Thursday 1,Friday 1

The one Saturday start is Glamorgan away.

tallliman 27 November, 2018 17:02
Can anyone find the ical link the e-mail says is available?

WayOutWest 27 November, 2018 17:10
Delighted with a return to Cheltenham.

London Leprechaun 27 November, 2018 17:24
I found the link on the website and it worked fine.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net