Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Toby or not Toby
Discussion started by freddie tittlemouse , 23 January, 2019 18:08
Toby or not Toby
freddie tittlemouse 23 January, 2019 18:08
Do we have any information on his health/fitness?
It goes without saying that his absence was a major factor in our performance last season.

Re: Toby or not Toby
BeefyRoberts 24 January, 2019 07:44
Towards end of last season,he was seen jogging at ease.
Suppose he,like rest of the available squad are already being put through their paces in training,with The Law maker watching.
Fingers crossed he is fit to start the season!

Jonathan Winsky 13 February, 2019 18:56
An article on Middlesex’s official website says that Tom Helm, Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones are all on course to be fit for the start of 2019 season and that all three bowlers as well as Martin Andersson, Ethan Bamber and Tom Barber will participate in a training camp at La Manga which will run between tomorrow and 23rd February. Also heading there for a separate six-day camp will be 10 members of our Elite Player Group.

It is excellent news that our fast bowlers are set to enter the season in good health, as that would give us a lot of choice in regards to which bowlers would be suitable for the pitches we are presented with, and it would also enable us to rotate in order to keep everyone fresh.

In particular, I am glad to hear good news about TRJ, as he has barely been able to play since the end of the 2017 season, which feels even sadder when it is borne in mind that he went from being highly likely to play at the 2017/18 Ashes to no longer featuring in conversations about fast bowlers on the England radar. Hopefully 2019 will be injury-free for him. If he starts the season well, maybe he will get to play in an Ashes series after all.

The article says that La Manga has “six first-class grass pitches” and that Hampshire, Northamptonshire, Glamorgan and Gloucestershire will all be using the facilities there before the season starts. Some people have suggested that the first round or two of each season’s County Championship matches should take place there (or in somewhere like Barbados, UAE or South Africa), and those calls may grow loader if the facilities there keep on being held in high regard. However, I believe that ECB have no plans to take county matches abroad for the foreseeable future, which will be welcomed by all supporters apart from those attracted by the prospect of watching their county play abroad.

chunkyinargyll 13 February, 2019 19:07
Interesting our academy is now known as 'elite squad' instead.

Sussex appear to have done the same thing, so maybe all counties have done this.

I seem to remember something about the ECB wanting to set up eight 'acadamies' separate from the counties, so the best in the 14-18 age group would naturally gravitate to the bigger counties, with other counties accepting the slightly less talented (but good enough to get a pro contract) players.

Another 'divide and rule' tactic aimed at reducing 18 academies down to eight, in the belief fewer will produce 'more'.

BeefyRoberts 13 February, 2019 23:03
18 down to 8?
Do I smell another ECB rat?
Heading in same direction as the county 1st eleven getting sliced to 8 'super counties'
Let's watch it happen,Mark my words,they try anything to get their own way.

Back to our lads,bowlers heading to La Manga for warm weather training,I presume Toby will be travelling as well.

Jonathan Winsky 17 February, 2019 22:47
On Twitter, Middlesex have posted a short video of Toby Roland-Jones bowling, so that is a welcome sight.

Truckman 25 February, 2019 15:46
With regards to Toby's fitness, I interviewed him late last year for the Seaxe News when he told me that he was in good shape but wasn't going to play cricket abroad during the winter in order to work on his fitness. He will be ready for the start of the season.

Primrose Hillbilly 01 March, 2019 14:08
Word from Richard Goatley yesterday was that Toby has had a slight shoulder injury recently but nothing really untoward and is good to go.

Had we had any fixtures last November, Toby would have been considered for selection........

Jonathan Winsky 19 March, 2019 18:39
Speaking to the Cricketer, Angus Fraser sounds hopeful that Toby Roland-Jones will have a successful season in 2019 and spend little or none of the season on the treatment table. Gus also says that TRJ is capable of being the long-term replacement for James Anderson and Stuart Broad in the England Test side.

The article also says that TRJ is in the last year of his contract at Middlesex, which is something I didn’t realise, as the length of his current contract wasn’t disclosed when the club announced he had signed it. I will have to update the contracts thread to reflect this. Hopefully he will extend his contract in the next couple of months, otherwise people are likely to speculate that he may leave.

freddie tittlemouse 20 March, 2019 13:39
Citing a 31 year old pace bowler as a long term replacement is slightly optimistic. Broad is only 18 months older, and most pace bowlers peak by the age of 30 unless they remain free from injury or have an economical action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net