Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Other County Matches
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 05 April, 2019 08:10
Other County Matches
BarmierKev 05 April, 2019 08:10
This thread for matches not involving Middlesex.

My first rant on the radio stating "Stuart Broad's Nottinghamshire v Joe Root's Yorkshire". What about the other 10 most of who will be available for the whole season!?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Other County Matches
hdo 05 April, 2019 08:16
Totally agree. Assuming that fans only care about seeing the top international players, who are rarely available for these games anyway, devalues county cricket and the contribution of all the other squad members who make the Championship what it is.

Bagpuss 05 April, 2019 10:28
Just a prequel to Stuart Broad's Nottingham Numpties v Joe Root's Leeds Locusts in the competition that shall not be named. Even though the named players aren't actually playing.

Fozzie 10 April, 2019 21:21
James Fuller scored an unbeaten century for Hampshire Reserves today. He was never likely to make the first team v Yorkshire after the Hands seamers' performance against Essex, but will presumably be in their RLC team.

BarmierKev 17 April, 2019 17:36
Interestingly in all 5 today’s matches the team batting first had comprehensive wins.

Barmy Kev

BarmierKev 18 April, 2019 07:53
I can add 6 after the day/ night game. Not sure if this is co-incidence.

Barmy Kev

adelaide 18 April, 2019 11:09
Kev

What else can it be? The pitches are unlikely to get worse to bat on as the day goes on.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 26 April, 2019 14:29
Robbie White keeping wicket for Essex at the moment, wearing his Middlesex helmet (seaxes taped over) as Essex clearly can't afford to lend him a helmet!

chunkyinargyll 26 April, 2019 14:31
Oh- and Sam Billings may well be out for the entire season (prognosis 3-5 months) after dislocating his shoulder yesterday.

chunkyinargyll 26 April, 2019 16:57
And now it seems Alex Hales has been given a 21 day ban for failing a second drugs test.

Rocks&Boulders 02 May, 2019 12:27
I'd think that Hampshire winning today v Sussex would be the best result for us.
Going well they are.

Whilst at The Oval, the mexicans have been bowled out for 127 by Kent.

Fozzie 21 May, 2019 10:25
Somerset were dismissed for a mediocre 209 yesterday. Top scorer with the bat was Josh Davey with 36 - though he was comfortably out-performed by Extras, who racked up 47 (including 16 byes and 22 no balls) to ensure that Somerset at least picked up a batting bonus point.

adelaide 21 May, 2019 11:24
Quote:
Fozzie
Somerset were dismissed for a mediocre 209 yesterday. Top scorer with the bat was Josh Davey with 36 - though he was comfortably out-performed by Extras, who racked up 47 (including 16 byes and 22 no balls) to ensure that Somerset at least picked up a batting bonus point.

As I said on another thread, we should really have made more effort to retain Extras after some fine contributions last year.

Adelaide

Fozzie 21 May, 2019 15:37
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
Fozzie

As I said on another thread, we should really have made more effort to retain Extras after some fine contributions last year.

Adelaide

Perhaps Extras is only on loan to Warwickshire and we should consider recalling him?

Jonathan Winsky 22 May, 2019 19:55
I have noticed that Liam Dawson’s call-up for England’s World Cup squad has caused him to be substituted out of Hampshire's match v Nottinghamshire, with Mason Crane coming in. As Crane is surely a better bowler (albeit surely a weaker batsman) than Dawson, it is not exactly like-for-like, so I don’t think Notts will be pleased if Crane spins Hants to victory tomorrow.

Dawson and James Vince's call-up has also caused them to be unavailable for Hampshire in Saturday's Royal London Cup final v Somerset due to it clashing with an England warm-up match. It would have been nice had the FA prevented Raheem Sterling and Manchester City's other England internationals from playing in last Saturday's FA Cup final! Not that that would have made much difference to the destination of the FA Cup!

Bagpuss 22 May, 2019 22:06
Dawson and Vince's absence is due to an ICC directive which prohibits players named in World Cup squads from taking part in any domestic matches from 23 May. In their defence I believe the ECB tried to get them to allow the Hampshire players to take part in the final, but without success.

Why it meant Dawson had to be substituted out of the match today is anyone's guess.

chunkyinargyll 23 May, 2019 06:13
Because the rule comes in 'with immediate effect'

And it would be unlikely a county would have an exact, identical replacement. Inevitably the replacement would be perceived as either a slightly better bowler or batsman, but it's near enough.

This isn't even concussion. It would be wrong to say. 'You can only play with ten men', so clearly the nearest like for like had to be accepted.

Jonathan Winsky 23 May, 2019 17:43
Hampshire indeed beat Nottinghamshire, although the presence of Mason Crane made no difference considering the only wicket he took was the last one to seal victory by 244 runs.

A match in which substitutes had great influence was Northamptonshire v Sussex, as Northants saw both Alex Wakely and Luke Wood suffer concussion, which allowed them to bring in Josh Cobb and Brett Hutton. Cobb scored 62 and 68, while Hutton saw off 104 balls in the second innings to secure a draw, which is good news for Middlesex.

I imagine that the reason why ICC do not allow players named in World Cup squads to play domestic cricket during the tournament is because it would give an opportunity for players from a host nation’s squad to stay in form, which could be an unfair advantage. However, that doesn’t quite prevent host nations from getting an advantage, as they would be better-placed than other nations for the potential of having to bring in a player mid-tournament if there is an injury. For example, in 2015, co-hosts New Zealand brought in Matt Henry mid-tournament after an injury to Adam Milne, which was an advantage considering Henry had lots of recent cricket under his belt. If England, Ireland or Scotland had to make a such a change that year, I doubt the replacement would have been in as good a condition as Henry.

BarmierKev 23 May, 2019 21:31
I couldn't understand why Sussex did not declare overnight. Give them more time to take 10 wickets, while giving Northants something that was gettable but improbable to chase at. Safetey first I guess is the answer.

Barmy Kev

adelaide 30 May, 2019 18:32
Remarkable goings on at Edgbaston. Batty takes an eight-for, finishing up with a hat trick occupying the last three balls before a declaration (is that a first?). Then Patel gets hsi own eight-for with eight wickets that really count. 8-36b in 31 overs.

Adelaide

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net