Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Other County Matches
chunkyinargyll 22 August, 2019 21:17
Quote:
Bagpuss
And the following week was the second trial of Alex Hepburn. Think that had quite an effect on Joe Clarke.

Absolutely correct.

He's done nothing since the text messages were made public.

But there must be some young Notts batsman in the 2's who deserves a chance. It's all well and good showing loyalty, and 'He'll come through in the end' but there comes a point when that is unfair on some youngster in the 2's who'd like a chance. They could hardly do any worse.

I will give credit to whoever moderates Nottinghamshire's Facebook and twitter. All the negative comments (and there are literally hundreds per match) are left in place, and if you have a spare couple of hours it is always fun enjoying another teams misery.

One allegation is made again and again (not Clarke related) and never removed, so I guess it must be true. All I will say is it explains why Mick Newell's job is safe, no matter how bad the results are.

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 13:38
A hundred for Darren Stevens.

Rumours Kent may be having a rethink and might offer him a new contract after all.

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 14:39
I posted that Stevens had got his hundred the moment it clicked up on Cricinfo, so has scored another 90 in an hour (not sure how many balls)

Closing in on a double hundred at tea.

191 not out.

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 15:19
Double hundred.

(Sm128) (Sm152)

Three hundred unbroken partnership with Sam Billings.

tallliman 16 September, 2019 15:57
Finally dismissed for just shy of 250. Kent partnership record for the 6th wicket.

Fozzie 16 September, 2019 16:51
Stevens also scored 88 and took 10 wickets v Notts last week. The word is that he is rather miffed not to be offered a contract extension by Kent.

tallliman 16 September, 2019 18:32
Quote:
Fozzie
Stevens also scored 88 and took 10 wickets v Notts last week. The word is that he is rather miffed not to be offered a contract extension by Kent.

His batting in the first innings turned that game and showed that Ashwin could be got at. His bowling got more lateral movement than anyone, it was a joy to watch.

hdo 16 September, 2019 19:14
Quote:
Fozzie

I've heard that practically everyone at the club, both inside and outside the dressing room, feels the same.

Fozzie 17 September, 2019 15:40
Sky Sports are advertising live County Championship cricket on TV today. And what's actually on? Yet more Ashes reruns.

chunkyinargyll 17 September, 2019 16:09
I know they're covering Somerset v Essex next week.

I was wondering if Worcestershire were trying to lose inside two days against Gloucestershire, in order to give themselves plenty of rest before T20 finals day.

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2019 10:01
I wonder if Darren Stevens will play for Derbyshire on T20 finals day?

He was with them at the quarter-final, even though he didn't play, as he was spotted on the players balcony.

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2019 15:11
17 wickets in the match for Kyle Abbott, as Hampshire beat Somerset.

The Rose Bowl has been renamed 'The Abbottoire'

Jonathan Winsky 18 September, 2019 18:42
For a long time, I have felt that if there was a team other than Middlesex who I would most like to win the County Championship, then it would be Somerset. Therefore, their result v Hampshire at the Rose Bowl coupled with Essex’s win by an innings and 40 runs v Surrey at Chelmsford is a big disappointment, as it puts Essex 12 points clear going into next week’s title decider at Taunton. Thankfully, my experience as a Middlesex supporter reminds me that strange things can happen in the final round of matches at Taunton, so I wouldn’t quite resign myself to Essex winning the title for the second time in three seasons.

It will be interesting to see if a spin-friendly pitch is prepared next week at Taunton. I don’t know if Jack Leach will be available (I don’t see why ECB would make him unavailable), but if he can play, then I am sure that he and Dom Bess would enjoy bowling on a spin-friendly pitch. However, no doubt Simon Harmer would relish such a pitch too, especially as he took 7-58 today.

Of course, the plaudits today have to go to Hampshire’s Kyle Abbott.

In division two, the season started with it looking likely that the promoted teams would be three out of Lancashire, Middlesex, Sussex and Worcestershire, but now it looks like Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire will be joining Lancs in going up.

Fozzie 19 September, 2019 10:06
And another five wicket haul for Darren Stevens...

hdo 19 September, 2019 10:52
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
For a long time, I have felt that if there was a team other than Middlesex who I would most like to win the County Championship, then it would be Somerset.

Why???

Jonathan Winsky 19 September, 2019 18:21
The reason why I would like Somerset to win the County Championship is because there are a few connections between them and Middlesex, as a few players have represented both clubs in the last couple of decades, and both clubs have a messageboard on Sportnetwork. I feel sorry that those involved with Somerset have never been able to see their club win the Championship, especially as they have gone close a few times in recent seasons. I feel a bit guilty about the circumstances of how the 2016 season finished, so it would be nice if those involved with Somerset are able to put those feelings to bed.

hdo 19 September, 2019 22:21
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
The reason why I would like Somerset to win the County Championship is because there are a few connections between them and Middlesex, as a few players have represented both clubs in the last couple of decades, and both clubs have a messageboard on Sportnetwork. I feel sorry that those involved with Somerset have never been able to see their club win the Championship, especially as they have gone close a few times in recent seasons. I feel a bit guilty about the circumstances of how the 2016 season finished, so it would be nice if those involved with Somerset are able to put those feelings to bed.

Well, all I can say is - you're a better man than I am!

chunkyinargyll 20 September, 2019 05:33
Wonder what sort of pitch will be prepared next week.

Somerset must win, and time is expected to be lost to rain, so ideally they need the kind of pitch that will produce a result within two working days.

Haringey Racer 20 September, 2019 08:07
Somerst have plenty of experience of producing those pitches while staying on the right side of the regulations. Although the regulations are now a bit tighter and 'Cricket Liaison Oficers' (aka Match Referees/Pitch Inspectors) are in attendance from day 1 of all matches, so the scope for creativity on the part of the groundsman may be less than in previous years.

Fozzie 21 September, 2019 18:01
Always entertaining to see a team completely choke and throw away a victory they were seemingly coasting towards (unless it happens to the team you support, of course). Difficult to tell who looked more stunned and disbelieving at the end of the first T20 semi - the victorious Worcs team, or the Notts players who contrived to lose when needing just 11 off the final 2 overs with 8 wickets in hand. Blind panic is fun to watch for the neutral.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net