Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 2nd X1 cricket 2019
chunkyinargyll 06 May, 2019 16:58
Just the eight wides for poor old Tom Barber in 6.3 overs.

We lost to Surrey by 7 wickets with 12.3 overs to go in this 50 over match. 209 all out v 213-3

Luke Hollman showed he is a handy lower order bat with 63.

No one else passed 50 (or got that close)

chunkyinargyll 07 May, 2019 12:03
Tom Barber eleven wides in his first three overs this morning.

I feel sorry for him, but as far as the first team is concerned, Ashley Giles has a word for it- Unselectable.

Seaxe Boy 16 May, 2019 06:02
Quote:
adelaide
Mike
We have a promising youngster called Tim Murtagh...

George Scott, Ethan Bamber, Martin Andersson, Robbie White...

I remember John Arlott's Sunday League commentaries when any player under the age of 25 was described as "promising". Sad fact is that an awful lot of promising players don't fulfil that promise, whether because of injury, being not quite strong enough mentally, thinking you've made it before you have, drugs, sheer bad luck or some combination of the above. I think it is even more true in football (*) but in any sport, you can never rely on potential becoming actuality.

Adelaide

(*) You may of course win the Youth Cup but then be loaned out by a big club to the lower leagues for years on end.

You have made a good point about why some cricketers do not endure. Jamie Hewitt made a fine start but started to fade, following the awarding of his county cap. These cases are always disappointing.

adelaide 16 May, 2019 09:26
Ah yes, Jamie Hewitt. Should have stayed away from those royals.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 16 May, 2019 15:13
50 over match between Kent and Middlesex today.

Josh De Caires continues his fine start to the season with 67, and Dan Lincoln 88 in a total of 262.

So far Kent 98-3 in 20.4 overs.

Tom Barber's 5 contains 8 wides and 4 no balls (I assume 2x2 no balls)

chunkyinargyll 16 May, 2019 16:44
Kent won fairly easily 263-5 in 42.1 overs/

Grant Stewart, who loves Middlesex bowling 112.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Jonathan Winsky 20 May, 2019 17:46
Middlesex today played Glamorgan in a Second Eleven Trophy match at Radlett, but lost by 139 runs despite Blake Cullen taking 5-68, Max Holden scoring 50 and Joe Cracknell scoring 46.

Haringey Racer 20 May, 2019 19:01
Not sure which thread this should be on, this one or the football one.

I've recently realised that our Dan Lincoln is the same Dan Lincoln who has been Bognor Regis Town's goalkeeper in the Bostik (Isthmian) League for the past few seasons. And he's quite a good keeper.

Here's one of my pictures from last season

[www.flickr.com]

chunkyinargyll 21 May, 2019 13:24
Robbie White's Essex loan appears to have come to an end (unless it is just because Essex don't have a championship match this week)

Dawid Malan and Steve Finn both playing in the 2's as well, on their way back to first team fitness.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Fozzie 21 May, 2019 15:49
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Robbie White's Essex loan appears to have come to an end (unless it is just because Essex don't have a championship match this week)
Dawid Malan and Steve Finn both playing in the 2's as well, on their way back to first team fitness.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

There's nothing on Essex's Twitter feed about Robbie. However, their 2nd XI currently has a friendly match, though I haven't been able to find a scorecard so don't know who's keeping wicket.

freddie tittlemouse 21 May, 2019 16:32
Blake Cullen went to my old school (Hampton)as did TRJ. Also Dr. Brian May from Queen. Who can beat that?

Haringey Racer 21 May, 2019 18:50
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Blake Cullen went to my old school (Hampton)as did TRJ. Also Dr. Brian May from Queen. Who can beat that?

I can give you one England cricket captain, one UK Prime Minister, a Nobel Prize winning physicist and an NFL defensive tackle (to name four of many).

adelaide 21 May, 2019 21:10
I humbly offer the original female singer with Fairport Convention, the inspiration for Edina in Ab Fab, a NASA flight director, a leading pollster, a famous film producer (think hurdling with champagne), two well-known record producers (think Stranglers and Buzzcocks for one, Madonna and Blur for the other) a comedian, a former Labour MP and one of the old Yorkie delinquents in Last of the Summer Wine! Oh, and me.

Not to mention two sons (at least) of Spurs footballers, back in the day when footballers lived in suburban semis. We also had a cricketer who played for Middlesex Seconds while still at school. It was proudly announced at assembly that he had dismissed Barry Richards, Roy Marshall and A N Other. He never played for the first team.

Alas, the school is no more. It was merged with another school (remember when London's population was falling?). Curiously enough, the council chose to place the merged school on the cramped site of the other one, just next to the North Circular, rather than on the
extensive paying fields of my school well away from the fumes. Loads of houses there now, though the original school buildings survive.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 22 May, 2019 18:18
Captain Max Holden has had a good match, having scored 69 and 100. In Middlesex 2nd XI’s first innings, Robbie White scored 79, Dawid Malan scored 52 and Jack Davies scored 63 not out. However in our second innings, White’s 35 and Malan’s 16 have been our two highest scores from top-order batsmen other than Holden.

In between, Ethan Bamber and Nathan Sowter took three wickets apiece, Steven Finn took 1-39 from 10 overs, and Tom Barber finished as our most economical fast bowler despite his 9 overs seeing no wickets and 6 wides.

As we enter the final day ahead by 351, I imagine we will declare either overnight or early tomorrow and try to bowl Glamorgan 2nd XI out.

Seaxe_man1 22 May, 2019 21:34
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Pinner Grammar. Reg Dwight and Simon le Bon. Harrow County. Gus.Fraser Mark Ramprakash and me.

Exile_in_stockport 23 May, 2019 08:02
John Snow , Barnes Wallis, Mark Thomas and Joe Launchbury... but not at the same time!

adelaide 23 May, 2019 10:06
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Pinner Grammar. Reg Dwight and Simon le Bon. Harrow County. Gus.Fraser Mark Ramprakash and me.

Pinner Grammar has a lot to answer for then.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 23 May, 2019 11:54
Probably Adelaide. Passed it this morning. Now private. Roy Dwight a blond winger played for FFC in late fifties afore moving to Notts Forest breaking a leg which ended his career. He was Elton John's uncle. Rocket Man..

adelaide 23 May, 2019 12:12
I think that final was the first I saw after we got a TV. For a time it seemed like a broken leg was part of the great Wembley tradition.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 23 May, 2019 12:13
There was I hoping a load of people were suddenly interested in how our second XI were getting on.

Glamorgan currently 96-2 chasing 352 to win.

Could be a close finish.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net