Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Pipeman
Discussion started by pantherlike , 18 May, 2019 09:34
Pipeman
pantherlike 18 May, 2019 09:34
Hi all, just thought I’d open this thread, though there may well be one already to pass on my condolences to all the MTWD brethren upon hearing the sad news of Keith’s passing.

I heard last night, and posted the following this morning on FB:

Last night for some reason and for my first time I put on Stirlo’s signed shirt (from a coupe of years back) and my Middx sleeveless to go into town...an hour later I sadly learned of Keith van Anderson’s passing

A sad day for the club, for Lord’s and the cricket community that had the enormous privilege of knowing the Pipeman

RIP Keith

I’ll soon post some photos I have with Keith and could dig up a match report perhaps of the time he cane down under for the WI rest. It was my privilege to have looked after his accommodation whilst down here.

Once again, a sad day for all of us

Pantherlike

Keith The Pipe. RIP
BarmierKev 16 May, 2019 15:50
Keith the Pipe always immaculately dressed no matter the weather recently passed away. An absolute Legend. Lord’s will never be the same again. RIP.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Keith The Pipe. RIP
BeefyRoberts 16 May, 2019 16:23
Such sad news about Keith The Pipe.
A legend of the game,known by many.
One person who would always have the time to chat,shake you by the hand,and look immaculate every time.
His cane,his empty pipe.
Will be sadly missed at games by all who knew him.
Kev and myself saw him in Antigua when the Stanford games took place...he looked and said to us..'What the **** you doing here?!!,then,with a smile said 'welcome to my country,let me buy you a drink.
He made sure we were ok.
Yea,a really top,decent guy.

Rest in Peace Keith the Pipe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 16:26 by BeefyRoberts.

Ivor's Tache 16 May, 2019 19:18
Have just heard this very sad news.

Was always a pleasure to chat with Keith. Thoughts with his family and many friends.

RIP Keith

Jonathan Winsky 16 May, 2019 22:57
This is sad news, as Keith van Anderson was very much a part of watching a Middlesex or England match at Lord’s and often cricket from West Indies. I am sure I even saw him attend Middlesex matches at outgrounds.

Haringey Racer 17 May, 2019 08:09
Sad news. I only spoke to Keith at any length a couple of times (and one of those was in the pavilion at Uxbridge during a rain break, so JW is correct) but we'd nod to each other when our paths crossed on a circuit of Lord's at lunchtime. He was part of the lord's furniture for as long as I can remember (and I picked up my 40-year badge at the start of the season).

tallliman 17 May, 2019 11:01
Very sad news.

668neighbourofthebeast 17 May, 2019 22:22
Have just caught up with this very sad news. Lord's won't be the same. I remember him at Uxbridge too. Always dapper. I'll miss his voice. Had the pleasure to be with him in his natural habitat of various cricket grounds in the WI. He got me some free tickets for the Kensington Oval. He got us into a garden party in Kingston [Botham was there]. I can remember trying fish tea for the first time with him in a cafe in Kingston. And celebrating the WI win there. And and and..... and he loved watching Middlesex too. I think any cricket. A true gentleman. He will be much missed.

pantherlike 18 May, 2019 09:36
Hi BK,

Just found this thread, expect you can add my post on the new thread to this one?

Cheers
P

chunkyinargyll 18 May, 2019 12:52
As I only get to Lord's one match a year, I never knew Keith personally, but of course his face is instantly recognisable as someone who has been seen in crowd shots in televised test matches both here and in the West Indies for as long as I can remember.

Is there any other sport where supporters in the crowd can become personalities in their own right?

It might be unusual to give a fan an obituary in 'The Cricketer' but if anyone deserves it, Keith does.

Hopefully they will.

Re: Pipeman
BarmierKev 19 May, 2019 11:47
I recall a conversation with Beefy where he had to pick Middlesex legends who hadn't played for us. Keith the Pipe was one of the first on our list.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Chesham Steve 01 June, 2019 09:57
I see there is an obituary for Keith in today's Times.

pantherlike 01 June, 2019 11:01
Saw the times article link on FB

Alas, it’s behind a paywall....is it possible to post here, or does that infringe copyright?! Probably....

Perhaps someone might keep a copy in at the Middx office and I’d collect in August? Will be over for the test....

Any assistance would be muchky appreciated!!

P

Chesham Steve 01 June, 2019 15:57
Here goes. From The Times today.

Growing up in poverty in Guyana, Keith Van Anderson climbed coconut trees to watch games of Cricket. In the last years of his life he could be found in the members' enclosure at Lord's dressed in Marylebone Cricket Club's natty livery. His bow tie, the handkerchief in the pocket of his blazer and the band around his panama hat all displayed the club's red and yellow.
To his fellow members he was known simply as "the Pipeman", on account of the implement that hung permanently from his mouth, even though he has long given up smoking it. His passion for the sport together with this distinctive outfit made him as cherished a part of the experience at the greatest of all the cricket grounds as the Old Father Time weather vane and the futuristic media centre.
Van Anderson had the proud distinction of having attended every test match at Lord's since watching his beloved West Indies thrash England by an innings and 226 runs in 1973. He was overjoyed to see them win further series in 1976, 1980, 1984 and 1988. His favourite memory was the Lord's test of 1984 when on the final day West Indies bludgeoned 344 runs to snatch victory.
Van Anderson was usually a laconic man, but his bass West Indian accent would get louder as he waxed lyrical about the sport. Many players found that a chat with Van Anderson who was for many years a steward at Lord's helped to calm their nerves in the moments before the start of a test. Hearing of his death, several players tweeted tributes. Stuart Broad, simply said "Ahh no. Top Man"
Keith Van Anderson was born in Guyana in 1951. Money was so tight while he was growing up that eggs were a luxury - he got to eat one a week - and his parents moved to Britain in search of a better life.
His father Charles found work as a carpenter and his mother Gwendoline as a machinist. Van Anderson arrived to join them on October 30 1964 at the age of 13. It was a cold day and he recalled his wonderment at being able to see water vapour as he exhaled 'I thought it was smoke' he recalled. Other new experiences included seeing chimneys billowing smoke and white people doing menial work 'sweeping the streets and serving on market stalls'. Until then the only white people he had seen were the privileged colonial types he had glimpsed in Guyana.
The family settled in East London where he attended Upton School in Clapton and showed some promise as an off spin bowler and top order batsman. After leaving school he found a job with the Greater London Council where he would remain for the rest of his working life, ending his career as a finance manager in charge of housing projects.
Although cricket was his passion, he could afford to attend only the occasional game, so at a friend's suggestion he became a steward. 'To be able to watch free of charge was fantastic' he said. Not long afterwards he married Dolores Redman, a nurse. She survives him as do his four children.
In the summer months he would leave the house early to catch a morning game, carrying a bag full of food that he had cooked the night before, along with a flask of tea and a Bible. He would spend hours after a game bantering over several beers in Bowlers, the bar at Lords. But back at home in East London any thoughts of square cuts, googlies, bouncers or cover drives were banished. When the door closed it was strictly family time.
Van Anderson would help to prepare the Lords ground two days before a Test Match and also started to make friends with the players. Clive Lloyd became godfather to van Anderson's daughter and sponsored his application to became a member of MCC. Van Anderson joined the waiting list and 18 years later finally received his membership card. He said that he valued it more than his passport which is unsurprising considering he spent all his available holidays at the ground.
His proud record of Test Match attendance was four times threatened by cancer. In 2003 he more or less absconded from hospital so he could watch England play Zimbabwe at Lords. In 2014 whilst being treated for esophageal cancer 'I somehow got out of hospital on the third day'.
An assortment of pills was added to his bag of supplies. After the first diagnosis of cancer he stopped smoking his pipe. However his trademark remained firmly attached to his lips as he avidly watched many more test matches at his spiritual home.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net