Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Middlesex v Glamorgan 16-19 June
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 13 June, 2019 14:41
Middlesex v Glamorgan 16-19 June
chunkyinargyll 13 June, 2019 14:41
Smart move to start the game on Sunday, as for some reason Glamorgan's game against Derbyshire started a day later than everyone else, so they have just a one day gap between one game finishing, and our game starting.

At the moment weather forecast reckons cloudy all the time, but at least dry (could easily change though)

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Edit- It's already changed!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2019 07:21 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Glamorgan 16-19 June
Jonathan Winsky 13 June, 2019 19:44
The day that I most have my eye on when it comes to the weather forecast is Sunday, as that is the only day I will be able to attend, and it seems that there is a threat of rain in the afternoon, although I will probably go nonetheless. The worst forecast is for day four on Wednesday, which could thwart the prospects of one or both of the sides pushing for victory, unless there is a result inside three days.

I doubt anyone would have been surprised prior to the season starting that this match would pitch together a side currently 2nd and a side just 7 points above the bottom spot. Unfortunately, Middlesex are the latter, which makes it really important that unless the weather intervenes, we pick up some wins during our four matches before the Twenty20 competition starts.

Unless we are happy to leave the spin bowling to whoever out of Dawid Malan, Sam Robson, Paul Stirling and Max Holden are selected, I hope that Nathan Sowter plays, especially as I have heard that Radlett can be conducive to spin. If Sowter plays, then my fear is that George Scott would make way from the XI which very briefly played v Leicestershire at Grace Road, despite Scott’s two County Championship appearances this season having so far yielded a fifty and - something rarely said of our fielders - a run out of an opponent. Otherwise, we could select one less fast bowler. Aside from that, I can’t see us making any other changes from the Leics match.

Although Glamorgan will take confidence from currently being 2nd, the fact they are due to get a day’s less rest than us and are on the back foot v Derbyshire at Swansea may impede them. The reason I say “they are due to get a day’s less rest than us” is because the forecast for Swansea suggests that Glamorgan’s players will spend some or all of tomorrow watching the rain fall. I would like Derbyshire to bat on tomorrow and force Glamorgan’s bowlers to get more overs into their legs, but Derbyshire probably intend to declare and push for a win.

I am certain that there are plenty of people involved with Radlett CC who will be delighted about the ground staging the holy grail of a County Championship match for the first time. However, I don’t know how supporters of Middlesex feel about the match taking place so far from Lord’s, and indeed in neither Middlesex nor the London zonal system. Unless the forecast dispels fears of rain, Lower Mound doesn’t seem to have any intention of going to this match, even though I plan to go on Sunday. Of course, Leeds-based Yorkshire supporters have it worse when their team play at Scarborough, and the same with Cardiff-based Glamorgan supporters when they play at Colwyn Bay. Hopefully playing a Championship match at Radlett will allow us to do something we seem unable to do in this competition at Uxbridge, which is win.

Seaxe_man1 13 June, 2019 19:55
For Derbyshire Tom Lace made 143 and Godleman on 211 not out.

BarmierKev 13 June, 2019 23:07
I hope the pitch dries out, the rain stays away and we can have 4 days of decent cricket.

A win would be a bonus.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Haringey Racer 14 June, 2019 11:04
Anyone know how well the Radlett outfield drains/dries? It's taken a lot of water this week.

Jonathan Winsky 14 June, 2019 18:47
As plenty of aspects of Radlett CC have received investment over the last decade, I hope the outfield is no exception. The good news is that BBC’s forecast for the period before and during the match suggests there will be no rain, with that good forecast now including Wednesday, although The Met Office’s forecast isn’t as optimistic.

I am not sure if today’s injuries suffered by Eoin Morgan and Jason Roy mean that there is a possibility of Dawid Malan being brought into their World Cup squad - as he would be one of a few candidates - and thus having to withdraw from this match. If that ends up happening, Max Holden would probably return to Middlesex’s line-up.

I expected Derbyshire to declare either before the start of today’s final day v Glamorgan at Swansea or early on, but they actually continued until Glamorgan had bowled 131 overs, before Glamorgan comfortably saw out the rest of the day for a draw.

Paul Stirling has spoken to ECB Reporters Network ahead of this match.

Seaxe_man1 14 June, 2019 20:15
Thanks for the Paul Stirling link JW. Insightful.

Surbiton crusader2 15 June, 2019 10:08
Last time I went to Radlett a few years back I took a bus to the railway station and walked up rhe hill. Unfortunately I can't remember the number. It was the Yorkshire match

SC2

rod/ed 15 June, 2019 10:18
There's a café across from. the station that does a vast range of breakfasts. The 10-15 minute walk to the ground should use up the calories

Surbiton crusader2 15 June, 2019 10:21
Yes rod/ed but what's the bus number?

SC2

chunkyinargyll 15 June, 2019 13:58
Squad named-

Malan (c), Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Helm, Holden, Murtagh, Robson, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling.

Jonathan Winsky 15 June, 2019 20:49
There are not really any surprises in Middlesex’s squad for this match.

Speaking to our YouTube page, Stuart Law has given little indication about whether Nathan Sowter will play, or whether we will have an all-seam attack for the second match running, as although Law acknowledges the pitch has a reputation for turning, he says that our team selection may be influenced by the weather and how the pitch looks tomorrow morning.

Glamorgan have named a 12-man squad for this match consisting of David Lloyd*, Nick Selman, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, Billy Root, Owen Morgan, Tom Cullen +, Daniel Douthwaite, Graham Wagg, Marchant de Lange, Lukas Carey and Timm van der Gugten. They are resting Michael Hogan.

I think there was a bit of rain today, although hopefully it won’t impact tomorrow. However, a bit of rain is forecast tomorrow morning, while Wednesday's forecast has gone downhill.

As far as I can make out, no buses go down Cobden Hill, which is the road the ground is on, and there are no bus stops on Cobden Hill.

adelaide 15 June, 2019 23:55
I think the Borehamwood bus (601) goes via Theobald Street and you would have to get off where it reaches the main road in Radlett, unless there is some footpath down the hill and under the railway.

The Watford bus (602) would not get as close to the ground, I think. Both 601 and 603 serve St Albans, for those coming that way.

Surprisingly, given that it is outside London, there is an hourly Sunday service on the 602. It runs every half hour during the week. The 602 runs hourly during the week.

The moral is - look up the bus times before you go, via
[www.intalink.org.uk]

Adelaide Blakey

Jonathan Winsky 16 June, 2019 09:17
As BBC’s forecast says that the chances of precipitation today are 72-100% until 11:00am and light rain showers until 3:00pm, I don’t think there is any point in me going today. If today’s weather turns out not to be quite as bad as forecast and if the outfield doesn’t take long to drain, then I would have thought there will be play at some point in the next few hours, although I don’t know if there would be enough play to justify me going.

Due to the forecast not being great and due to India playing Pakistan in the World Cup (although the forecast for Manchester isn't great either), I don’t know how many supporters will travel to Radlett today, especially as many of Middlesex’s supporters live in places which are not an easy commute to Radlett. That would surely be a disappointment to those involved with Radlett CC, as I am sure they were hoping to generate a good crowd today.

chunkyinargyll 16 June, 2019 10:47
Stopped raining (for now) but no play before lunch, which has been moved forward to 12.30

Jonathan Winsky 16 June, 2019 10:50
Although it is uncertain whether it is a guess, something which has been written by default, or will end up being 100% accurate, the match centre on Middlesex’s official website says that we will have the same XI as we did v Leicestershire at Grace Road, in which case Nathan Sowter would once again be left out.

chunkyinargyll 16 June, 2019 10:59
It's odd the club have started doing that (if it turns out to be correct), because I can't see any value in letting your opponents know what your plans are until you have too (at the toss).

chunkyinargyll 16 June, 2019 12:09
Don't forget the Nivea Factor 50 sun screen today chaps!

[talksport.com]

BeefyRoberts 16 June, 2019 13:14
Next inspection at 1345.
Covers slowly being removed,we can only wait!

chunkyinargyll 16 June, 2019 14:02
3 pm start.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net