Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Steve Finn signs new contract
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 31 July, 2019 15:59
Steve Finn signs new contract
chunkyinargyll 31 July, 2019 15:59
[www.middlesexccc.com]

until end of 2021.

Hopefully Steve will be a one team man, and Finn-ish his career with Middlesex.

Re: Steve Finn signs new contract
adelaide 31 July, 2019 16:04
Choking noise coming from direction of Primrose Hill!

Seaxe_man1 31 July, 2019 18:01
Adelaide. Plus a further gurgle from the Chesham direction.

Primrose Hillbilly 06 August, 2019 17:40
Yes, he celebrated rather generously with that final over vs Kent, didn't he?

Went back to being the idiot with cow eyes and floppy hair, and found that exact same spot on the pitch for three consecutive balls.

Blake may as well have kept his feet in the same spot for all of them too.

The Lawman and Pothas must see something there, or don't like the look of the other spares. He (Lawman) said he's told Finn he wants him to get back to being that bowler he didn't like facing when he was playing.

Maybe the Lawman shares your definition of "potential", Adelaide, and also has his own thesaurus?

Any news of Harry's comeback?

adelaide 06 August, 2019 20:25
PH

Law could think in Serbo-Croat or teletubby babble. All that matters is that the Lawman has come to his own conclusion about Finn, which happens to be the precise opposite to yours. Fair enough, we all have our opinions, though that cuts both ways.

Was it really necessary to call Finn an idiot though?

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly 07 August, 2019 17:35
Like .............. someone who doesn't engage their brain, doesn't think about where they are going to bowl the next ball, and doesn't even learn from where the previous one - or the one before that - went?

Not strictly "necessary", although I know you have a fairly liberal "you know what I really meant" application of the English language, Adelaide, but I'll stick by my choice of words, thanks.

adelaide 07 August, 2019 18:09
PH

You mean the way just about every T20 bowler looks at some time but, hey, just pick on this season's scapegoat.

There is a difference between saying that something that has been done is idiotic and saying that the person who did it is an idiot. I might say the latter in the heat of the moment but I wouldn't write it once I had put brain into gear (no, not even to Jason Roy on Monday) because I would see it as borderline offensive. Try saying it in a pub near closing time and the "borderline" qualifier might look like a waste of a word.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 07 August, 2019 18:30
You two don't seem to hit it off, do you?

I'm just glad that for once there is an argument I'm not responsible for.

Adelaide- I've seen you post elsewhere that in T20 often the bad ball is a good ball. I know what you mean- the element of surprise and all that. Maybe even the double bluff, as in, 'He's just bowled me a short pitched ball I've dispatched for six, so I don't suppose he'll do the same thing again', but Finn does indeed do the same thing next delivery, and that too goes for six, at which point Finn attempts the triple bluff- batsman thinking 'Three in a row won't be short pitched' but it is, and the batsman has really got his eye in by now. What next- Quadruple bluff, or do you think 'This approach doesn't seen to be working'.

adelaide 07 August, 2019 20:18
Chunky

I know what you mean too. I think our seamers aren't particularly good at outthinking the batsmen in T20 and we regularly pay the price for it. Even if we qualify I think it is asking a lot not to get kyboshed by it in three successive knockout games (or at least for our batting to be good enough to compensate).

My points is that it is not just Finn. Toby suffers similarly. Even Tom Helm does, though not so much as he has better controlled variation. Possibly the similarity in style and approach between Finn and TRJ makes it easier for the batsman but it would be a brave coach who brought in Tom Barber for variety.

As for PH and me, I think it is one of the perils of the forum thing. I suspect that if we found ourselves sitting next to each other we would both idiotically call each other idiots, then shake hands and argue about who should buy whom a pint.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 07 August, 2019 20:33
I think part of the problem for Steven Finn is that at least TRJ, Helm (and if he was picked Harris) all offer a bit more with the bat.

I reckon it is a very very very fine line between being good enough, and getting carted all over the place (maybe just a 5% drop off in pace in Finn's case) and you go from creating all sorts of problems to being easy to get away.

adelaide 07 August, 2019 21:25
Chunky

That's true, though so far it hasn't stopped him being selected., though we are not blessed with many alternatives.

I'm not sure that it is dropping his pace that is the problem, at least in T20. The commentators on Sunday were adamant that pace off the ball was the way to go (at least they were after Taylor and the Overton had bowled - why does Tom Abell not bowl in T20 BTW?). My feeling is that he has not worked out how best to bowl when taking pace off the ball as well as some of the others and that leaves him without the tricks other bowlers might use. Though even if you are tricksy enough sometimes you are just going to go.

chunkyinargyll 08 August, 2019 20:31
Well done Steve Finn 5-16 tonight, and back at his very best.

Speed gun had him at around 87-88, which commentators said was quicker than he had managed of late.

adelaide 08 August, 2019 20:49
Sounded like he wasn't bothering with taking pace off the ball. Pitch suited him perhaps? Or just Surrey's MFI flatpacklike middle order?

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net