Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ashes to Ashes 2019
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 01 August, 2019 09:46
Ashes to Ashes 2019
BarmierKev 01 August, 2019 09:46
The Ashes are about too start. Currently not too excited as with me is club before country. However., no doubt there will be some talking points of mutual interest.

My main concern is the Roy, Burns, Denly failing and Mala being called up as replacement.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Ashes to Ashes 2019
pantherlike 01 August, 2019 09:58
Good luck with @#$%& all my MTWD brethren!!

Toss won and we’re batting ✅
But Siddle playing??!😲🤯

That’s 3 right arm quicks- at least they're fast enough - but there ain't no Massie in this lineup

And Starc is fine from all reports. But he and Hazelwood who have carried our attack all year are not playing! Interesting lineup

Add to that all 3 of those confounded miscreants are selected. Interesting to see how Paine goes keeping the dressing room in line....and how the Edgbaston cauldron reacts to them - well that bit is easily predicted!!

Early Ashes prediction: England 3-0

We could win Lord’s but it’ll be a tall order. Let’s hope that the older poms get tired and jaded!!

At least you have Burns in there for us to feast on.... let’s see if his technique stands up to the challenge!

chunkyinargyll 01 August, 2019 11:41
Warner should have been out caught down the leg side to the first ball he received, but England didn't review.

A few over later given out LBW, and if he had called for a review he would have been reprieved.

So two poor umpiring decisions evened each other out.

pantherlike 01 August, 2019 12:24
Agree that Warner should’ve been gone first nut

Good session for England.

But wait: Jimmy Anderson may have fallen over! Off to get scans...there could be hope for us yet!?

pantherlike 02 August, 2019 10:21
If Cummins continues too bowl leg stump dross to Burns we'll make him look like a star

chunkyinargyll 02 August, 2019 13:03
Apparently the umpires have now made five errors each.

What we need is a super over of LBW and caught behind appeals to decide who is worst.

BarmierKev 02 August, 2019 17:22
Given all these detected umpire errors I’m wondering how many occur at our level presumably with less competent umpires.?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide 02 August, 2019 17:31
I'm country before county on cricket and I'm delighted that Mr Burns has a century. Unleash the hounds.

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky 02 August, 2019 18:08
It was unclear whether yesterday was a good day for England, as although many of their supporters would have probably been happy had they been told that they would bowl Australia out for 284, it made for a recovery from 122-8. Also, it seems like yesterday saw the last of James Anderson’s bowling for the match (and possibly for some time), just 7 overs into the day.

However, today was unquestionably England’s day, as they are within 17 runs of a first innings lead, and will hope to bat for much of tomorrow to achieve a big lead and thus impede Australia’s hopes of setting a challenging 4th innings target. If Anderson cannot bowl again in this match, then it becomes even more important that England achieve a big first innings lead.

Rory Burns' century will thwart Jack Leach's hopes of playing in this series. Maybe Leach will have to see if he can break into the side as a spinner instead, unless Jason Roy gets dropped.

With Anderson’s participation in the remainder of the series uncertain and Mark Wood out of the series, it seems that Olly Stone, Sam Curran and Jofra Archer are next in line, although a side problem means that Archer is another injury concern.

Seaxe_man1 02 August, 2019 20:55
Quote:
BarmierKev
Given all these detected umpire errors I’m wondering how many occur at our level presumably with less competent umpires.?
the run-out lastnight looked iffy. Not shown on screen which means the camara director has seen the replay.

chunkyinargyll 03 August, 2019 14:53
Warner in a two and eight as he's dismissed for 2 and 8.

Another wrong decision given out on appeal.

pantherlike 03 August, 2019 16:37
Really must apologise for my teams paltry bowling gifilting your ‘opener’ with an Ashes test hundred. Really if they bowled the same line as Ireland Burns couldn’t make 20....(sigh)....

Anyway, at least there’s a semblance of a match. Think we need to set 250 to be a chance. Home team to go 1-up at this stage

chunkyinargyll 05 August, 2019 11:13
More appalling umpiring this morning.

Root twice 'given out' by Joel Wilson. Not out on review.

Then Root given 'not out' because Aleem Dar decided he had a played a shot (when he was hiding the bat behind his pad) As umpire had decided he had played a shot a review would have been pointless (as apparently you can't review a 'did he play a shot' decision, as that is subjective).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 11:16 by chunkyinargyll.

chunkyinargyll 05 August, 2019 11:39
Aleem Dar just got a decision right.

thumbs down

Earlier Roy showed why he isn't a test match batsman.

Lyon only had to look at him, and he was running out of his crease like it was T20.

chunkyinargyll 05 August, 2019 11:58
15 mistakes so far (I would say 16 if you include Dar deciding Root had played a shot)

[wwos.nine.com.au]

BeefyRoberts 05 August, 2019 14:55
A fairly abysmal performance today from what I saw and read about.
A few players might be bit worried about their places for next test.
Giving players constant reminders of sandpaper is just putting fuel into their engines to get stronger.
And,we suffer!
Anybody at Somerset care to send ecb Jack Leach phone number?

How will things change? I know,let's put it to the ecb think tank and ask them...Answer,let's introduce a competition next year that will punch county cricket down the ladder of importance.

Back to this series,its a mess at the moment and I think changes are due.
Is Anderson fit enough?
Joe Denly still get selected?
Jofra Archer fit?
Are injuries due to not playing enough games?
Why rest players? They need to.play 1st eleven cricket to stay fit.

It's first blood to the Aussies,they will be buzzing for lords,where,as we all know,England dont play well at!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 17:25 by BeefyRoberts.

tbl 05 August, 2019 17:23
Terrible performance today. As Beefy says our CC is not producing test match cricketers, and the Hundred will make things a lot worse!

chunkyinargyll 05 August, 2019 18:37
Imagine if there was no DRS.

Joel Wilson was responsible for ten clear errors (that's an entire innings worth)

Specsavers tweet-

[twitter.com]

Seaxe_man1 06 August, 2019 09:53
Roy charging down the wicket at Nathan Lyon as mentioned not a good idea on a turning track.

But Batting Coach Thorpe did say pre play, play your natural game. But again, charging a bloke with 350 Test wickets likely not the best of options even with a stick of rhubarb.

adelaide 06 August, 2019 09:57
I didn't think that Malan had an earthly of getting back in but now I'm starting to wonder.

Adelaide

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net