Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Sussex at Hove 18-21 August
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 15 August, 2019 09:30
Sussex at Hove 18-21 August
chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2019 09:30
Fairly easy to predict most of the team (if all fit)

I would go for- Robson, Eskinazi, Gubbins, Malan (c), Stirling, Harris, Simpson (wk), Roland-Jones, Helm, Sowter, Murtagh.

It's a big game. I don't want to rest any of the bowlers who have been playing T20, but Harris and Murtagh are clearly part of our first choice championship side. I'm going to say Finn misses out, but his extra pace that has recently been rediscovered might get him the nod over Helm.

Number 5 is the other debatable slot, with Stirling/Holden/Scott all having roughly equal claim. Stirlo did get a hundred in his one championship outing this year, so I suppose he is in 'possession' of the place, so I have him in my side.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2019 09:15 by BarmierKev.

Re: Sussex at Hove 18-21 August
Seaxe_man1 15 August, 2019 13:57
Plus it was a very good ton.

Primrose Hillbilly 15 August, 2019 18:32
Right now, Chunky, I think that's our best team for the 4 day format.

Another experiment / selection from expediency to fail last year was to press Stirlo into trying out as a 4 day opener. He is so much better being what he is at a place in the side to which he is suited - possibly coming in against a tiring attack, with the ball over 40 overs old, and smiting them hither and yon quickly.

Harry and Toby coming on simultaneousy after Timmy and Tommy almost gives you a double opening pair....

I have to give credence to the conspiracy theory that someone hatched to the effect that a word in our ear had been had to give Gubbo a run at #3, otherwise, why would you not want a Left- Right opening combo that his old alliance with Sam affords?

I shall rise at an unseemly early hour on Sunday to head down there via Victoria.

Can't wait.

chunkyinargyll 15 August, 2019 18:50
Who's Victoria?

Jonathan Winsky 15 August, 2019 19:41
For me, it feels strange to engage in an isolated County Championship match more than two-thirds into the Twenty20 group stages. I dread to think what it is like for the players! Perhaps it is just as well that Middlesex’s XI will probably include around three players who have played little or no part in our Twenty20 campaign, although I would have thought Sussex’s XI will be in a similar situation. Our players will enter this match with their techniques having not been contaminated by Twenty20 in seven days, whereas Sussex have matches in that format tonight and tomorrow.

It is great that we have competition for places, which hasn’t always been the case in the Championship this season, so whichever XI gets selected, it is likely that there will be a few players who will look at their form or look at the amount of Championship matches they have played this season and feel disappointed to miss out. If James Harris makes his first Championship appearance in six matches, then that would hopefully help the team’s resources in not only the bowling department, but in the batting department too.

Although we have won our last two Championship matches, our form prior to that means that we don’t have much margin for error during our final four matches, which makes this an important match, especially as there is no guarantee that the weather or pitches will be conducive to achieving wins in our final three matches. At least the forecast suggests that the weather will be helpful for the chances of there being a result in this match.

Nathan Sowter has spoken to ECB Reporters Network about how his season is going.

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2019 13:57
13 man squad named-

Malan (c), Bamber, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Murtagh, Robson, Roland-Jones, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Stirling.

tallliman 17 August, 2019 14:36
Bambi and Holden to miss out?

chunkyinargyll 17 August, 2019 14:47
I reckon.

They don't say why Helm is missing, so I assume it's just to manage his workload.

Jonathan Winsky 17 August, 2019 23:21
It doesn’t seem that Middlesex have any injuries or fitness concerns that I wasn’t aware of, so that is good news. Hopefully Tom Helm’s absence is indeed simply to manage his workload, as it seems strange to see him out of the squad and Ethan Bamber in, despite Bamber haven’t not quite scaled the heights of 2018. As I have said, it was highly likely that there will be a few players who will not make our XI for this match despite feeling that they have a good claim to play, so that reflects well on the strength of our squad.

I doubt that many supporters were hoping to see Eoin Morgan included. He had been part of our County Championship side for 2 matches earlier in the season, but it isn’t a great surprise to him not included as not only do we have other batting options available, but he has recently had back problems and recently said that he could do with the season ending soon, meaning that playing a four-day match might not be the best of ideas. What would be a bit of a surprise would be if he plays further first-class matches in his career.

Sussex have named a 15-man squad for this match consisting of Ben Brown (capt./wk), Will Beer, Danny Briggs, Alex Carey, Tom Clark, Harry Finch, Tom Haines, Elliot Hooper, Chris Jordan, Ollie Robinson, Abi Sakande, Phil Salt, Jared Warner, Luke Wells and David Wiese.

BarmierKev 18 August, 2019 10:00
Well I didn’t see this coming. Currently in Hove it’s peeing down and according to my phone going to continue lunch.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 10:04
The not particularly accurate BBC site reckons rain will have stopped by midday, then clear for rest of the day (and half an hour can be made up on each of the first three days. Tomorrow could be dodgy, but site keeps changing its mind.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 10:25
Sussex have just tweeted 'No play before lunch'.

snicko 18 August, 2019 10:57
I’m at the ground - they won’t play today and tomorrow must be in doubt. Outfield ruined by pop concert - this morning’s heavy showers have made it a quagmire. Shocking by Sussex, who didn’t even have the wicket covered for this morning’s heavy shower !

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 10:59
I honestly thought we would get a full days play today, but going by comments of some Sussex fans on social media there may be very little play today.

Something about a high water table after heavy rain on Friday, and maybe a bit slow getting the covers on when it started chucking it down at about 10.00.

So not just a case of 'When the rain stops it will take an hour to get everything ready'

Hopefully not a 'No play today' scenario, because the rain should stop by midday.

Edit- Snicko posted whilst I was typing this.

If we wind up losing two days over a pop concert Sussex need a points deduction to teach them a lesson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2019 11:01 by chunkyinargyll.

BarmierKev 18 August, 2019 11:28
It’s stopped raining the suns out inspection at 130. The locals are confident will be some play, WTF couldn’t they have had this morning weather as forecasted during 20/20 here.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky 18 August, 2019 12:17
More about the conditions will surely become clear after the 1:30pm inspection, because if no rain has fallen in the couple of hours prior to then, it should mean that play can start at around 2:00pm. If further inspections are ordered, then obviously the conditions are not as playable as everyone hoped they would be, and maybe not simply because there was rain this morning.

I assumed that there would be an early lunch and an inspection earlier than 1:30pm, but instead we have to wait.

If the effects of the concert cause a lot of restriction in the amount of play in this match, then it could be a big controversy.

adelaide 18 August, 2019 12:19
Though a Sussex points deduction won;t do us any good if other matches end with a positive result.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 13:50
Play to start at 2.30

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 13:54
Right, put them in, and Murtagh to have them 60-5 by tea.

chunkyinargyll 18 August, 2019 14:03
Oh well.

We've had a toss, and Sussex have put us in.

Holden and Bamber miss out.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net