Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Alls Wells Ends Not Wells
Discussion started by Middlesex till we die , 20 August, 2019 20:24
Alls Wells Ends Not Wells
Middlesex till we die 20 August, 2019 20:24
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2019 09:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: Alls Wells Ends Not Wells
adelaide 20 August, 2019 21:41
A maiden Middlesex first class 50 for Finn but he did get one for England in New Zealand.

I went to the bother of registering for the Sussex live feed (no charge) on Sunday but found I just couldn't bear to watch it for very long.

Odd match. Despite the first innings we would have been in it if the last three Sussex wickets had not doubled the score. Up to that point the difference was just one partnership.

I hope we did get the over rate sorted, though if Carey had carried on at 24 an over it probably would have made it worse (time lost getting the ball back) rather than better. Which would have rammed home the constant message - don't get into that situation because something may stop you getting it back.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 20 August, 2019 21:54
The over rate finished level with Stirlo and Rabbit bowling.
Sussex do like playing us this year,and,although defeat today I must admit I do like Hove,its a lovely ground and still has a few deckchairs left...long may they stay.

Ebor Gooner 21 August, 2019 01:31
Disappointing. And a recurring theme. A complete inability to make any sort of score in our first innings. This has been the case for two or three years. I've heard Stuart Laws interview - and he says there is talent in the dressing room - but the conversations are feeding negativity. Isn't that Laws job to deal with?

I don't think we will promoted this season now, and I can't see how that can be viewed as anything less than underachievement? Are the people in charge seeing progress? I'm not. It's only a few years since we won the 1st Division Championship. What's gone wrong, and more importantly, how can Middlesex put it right? We need to be in the 1st Division, and preferably challenging at the top. The question is, what needs to happen, for that to be achieved?

adelaide 21 August, 2019 10:34
I am intrigued by Law's negative comments about negative comments. Are players slagging each other off (and meaning it, not the usual dressing room joshing)? Are players disagreeing about strategy? About decisions taken about whether to bat or bowl? About the captaincy (or management)? Are they saying "we're doomed", a sort of cricketing Cassandra?

The converse of course would be if everyone felt obliged to offer a positive opinion, a sort of cricketing Pollyanna. Nobody believes what anybody is saying but hey, nobody can accuse of us of being negative.

There is a difference between negativity and constructive criticism but if Law actually means negative comments in the dressing room during the match, then that probably isn't the time or place.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 21 August, 2019 10:52
I listened to the interview again, and he seems to say something like 'negative comments from those waiting to bat' which could be interpreted as the lower middle order slagging of the efforts of their so called 'betters', or it could just mean that having seen others fail those that were still to follow knew we were heading for defeat and so got in to a 'the whole world is against us' negative mindset, rather than criticising each other.

I wonder if the obvious 'Why did we want to bat first' comment was made.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net