Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Back in the red
Discussion started by Deckchair , 06 September, 2019 12:15
Back in the red
Deckchair 06 September, 2019 12:15
With the season turned to the red ball we must hope that our batsmen can finally turn around their seasons too. They will need to if we are to best Lancashire, Durham and Derbyshire in the upcoming matches.
With only two of our batsmen in the top 40 of the Division Two averages (Malan and Simpson) (more than 5 innings) and our opening bats currently lying at numbers 45, 80 and 116 in the table it is going to be a big ask. Let's hope they can do it.
If not then its over to the bowlers to bat us up to a competitive score, as it seems they have done for most of the season.
Promotion is still possible. But we need the batsmen to step up and do the business.
And, of course, for the weather to be kind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2019 03:11 by BarmierKev.

Re: Back in the red
chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2019 12:31
This may as well become the Durham match thread.

A reminder of the table, All teams have completed 11 matches.

Lancashire 181
Gloucestershire 152
Northants 138
Glamorgan 133
Durham 128
Sussex 122
Middlesex 117
Derbyshire 112
Worcestershire 94
Leicestershire 89

We play Durham
Gloucestershire v Sussex
Lancashire v Derbyshire
Leicestershire v Northants
Worcestershire v Glamorgan.

A good 22 point win for us (I'm not going to assume we score more than 349 in our first innings!) would take us up to 139 and keep Durham down to something like 135.

We could do with Gloucestershire beating Sussex (accept Gloucs get 2nd promotion spot) keeping Sussex at around 130, and Worcestershire to beat Glamorgan, keeping Glammy to around 140, and Leicstershire to beat Northants (unlikely!) to keep Northants to about 146.

Unlikely all the other matches will produce the results we need, but before we start worrying about what happens elsewhere we must beat Durham, otherwise we can forget promotion for another year.

Jonathan Winsky 07 September, 2019 18:28
It would help Middlesex’s chances of getting into good match positions and achieving batting points if our batsmen get themselves started and convert their starts into big scores, something which opposing batsmen seem to have done more often than ours this season.

The only day of the match that doesn’t have a good weather forecast is Wednesday, so there is a decent chance of a result.

Due to the development of the Edrich and Compton stands, there will be some disruption for those attending this match and our match v Derbyshire at Lord’s two weeks later, as the ground can only be accessed from the Grace Gate (which will result in a long walk round for those arriving from St. John’s Wood station), the view from the Allen stand may be restricted due to the groundstaff’s equipment being moved to the Pavilion end, the Compton stand scoreboard has been decommissioned, and I imagine that it will not be possible to take a full walk around the ground.

As the scheduled start each day will be 10:30am, I don't think there would be much point in me setting my sights on attending the conclusion of each day’s play.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 08:00
The not very reliable weather forecast is currently suggesting there may be rain interuptions on Wednesday and Thursday.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 14:06
14 man squad announced-

Malan (c), Cummins, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Murtagh, Robson, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter.

Fozzie 09 September, 2019 14:43
Just the six pace bowlers included, with all those involved in the T20 campaign presumably fit...

Seaxe_man1 09 September, 2019 15:00
Two of our opponents are interested promotion candidates themselves, points wise, with a healthier points bank account than THE MIDDLE.

BeefyRoberts 09 September, 2019 17:04
Helm,Scott and Sowter to have rest this game.
Batting points,we require Batting points!

Jonathan Winsky 09 September, 2019 18:54
Despite Middlesex signing Miguel Cummins, the interesting omissions in our squad do not come in the fast bowling department, as all of the fast bowlers whose place in our side was made vulnerable due to Cummins signing are included (indeed, Ethan Bamber and Tom Barber are our only fast bowlers with 1st XI experience not included). Instead, the interesting omissions come in other departments in the form of Eoin Morgan (not that I really expected him to be involved, especially as he has previously said that he was looking forward to the season ending due to his back problem), Ollie Rayner (despite Nathan Sowter being yet to impress) and Paul Stirling (despite scoring 138 v Glamorgan at Radlett to give him an average of 50.00 to sit ahead of all of the rest of our squad bar Dawid Malan, although admittedly Stirlo’s three other innings have yielded just 12 runs).

It will be interesting to see which three players will miss out. I imagine that our line-up will cause some debate when it is announced.

Durham have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Chris Rushworth, Gareth Harte, Brydon Carse, Alex Lees, Angus Robson, Nathan Rimmington, Cameron Steel, Liam Trevaskis, Scott Steel, Matt Salisbury, Peter Handscomb, Ned Eckersley (c, wk) and Ben Raine.

Eckersley seems to often do well when he plays against us, while Cameron Steel (who, as I far I am aware, is not related to Scott Steel) is set to play against the side who opted against selecting him for the 1st XI. Angus Robson was also previously on our books, and will play against brother Sam if our batting line-up contains no surprises and if Durham don’t make mass changes to the batting line-up which posted 544-9 dec in their previous County Championship match v Leicestershire at Chester-le-street. One member of that batting-line up that won’t play however is second top-scorer Jack Burnham, who made 86, but is ruled out of tomorrow's match due to a niggle.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match.

I saw a Tweet saying that Morgan has unveiled a repainted postbox next to St. John’s Wood station to honour England winning the World Cup, so I was going to write that people attending this match (and future matches for that matter) will be likely to notice it if they come out of the station. However, as the post box is on Acacia Road, I am not sure how many people who use the station will notice it. Then again, the fact that everyone attending this match will probably have to enter via the Grace Gate means that they may notice the postbox near this gate, as I believe that has also now been repainted.

[edited to correct grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 22:04 by Jonathan Winsky.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 19:03
JW- I think Ollie Rayner is back on loan at Kent.

I don't know if our attitude now is that Paul Stirling is history, as he won't be here next year.

Max Holden's big hundred in the 2's last week means he deserves a recall.

Eski a trifle fortunate to retain his place.

I'm going to guess Cummins plays ahead of Finn (clearly at least one other seamer will also need to be left out as well).

Seaxe_man1 09 September, 2019 21:09
Rayner signed to play eight games for Kent on loan.

antryg 10 September, 2019 09:56
I wonder how Bamber feels not even in the squad

freddie tittlemouse 10 September, 2019 10:20
Y no TRJ? Or Helm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 10:22 by freddie tittlemouse.

GPM 10 September, 2019 10:34
Same old rubbish bowling from Finn and Harris. Why is Helm not playing?

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 11:35
Tom Helm awarded county cap.

(Sm152)

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 13:53
147 all out.

Will we do any better?

Come on Middlesex!!!!

adelaide 10 September, 2019 13:57
Quote:
GPM
Same old rubbish bowling from Finn and Harris. Why is Helm not playing?

Bump...

Fozzie 10 September, 2019 14:42
And a nice green 0 on the over rate.

antryg 10 September, 2019 15:29
Pleased to see Holden at 5. He seems to do a lot better at 5 or 6 rather than opening

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 15:37
Quote:
antryg
Pleased to see Holden at 5. He seems to do a lot better at 5 or 6 rather than opening

Well-

not a lot better.

About five runs better.

(Sm43)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net