Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Back in the red
chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 17:15
Post match interview with Dawid Malan.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

At almost 10 minutes it's longer than usual, and very honest.

A shame the noise of the building work makes it a bit difficult to catch every single word.

BREARS 12 September, 2019 17:58
Another dreadful performance today. No fight, no hunger, Id rather 11 Chris Rushworths in my team than some of our lot, Gubbns 24...Eskinazi 19...but undroppable it seems, Maxy has had the confidence drained out of him by being moved up and down the order, in and out the side, for his career he needs a move away from this madhouse. And of course the signing of Cummins, I remember when we signed Imran Tahir....a leg spinner...IN MAY! This signing is almost as baffling. Just a total disaster of a season. Fraser needs to go, the club needs new direction.

Ivor's Tache 12 September, 2019 18:16
Jonathan can probably be efficient in knowing the length of players contracts. But In my opinion, a few current shoe ins need to be moved on if possible. As for new players, we ain't developing England players by a long way, so get passport of convenience players whilst we can?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 18:17 by Ivor's Tache.

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 18:22
I think the only person out of contract (and likely to go) is Tom Barber.

Don't completely rule him out getting another year though, as he played for the 2's this week.

Normally players who are leaving are told by now and don't play the last few matches for the 2's.

Edit- Oh, and I guess Ollie Rayner will be off to kent, although Nathan Sowter gas done worse than Rayner in the championship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 18:26 by chunkyinargyll.

Jonathan Winsky 12 September, 2019 18:23
It is disappointing that Middlesex (unless something dramatic happens over the last two rounds of matches) will have followed 2016’s County Championship triumph with relegation and two seasons of not only failing to be promoted, but barely looking like going up. To illustrate how big a fall it has been, we didn’t lose a division one match in 2016, but have now lost 8 times in 26 matches in less than two seasons in division two.

It hasn’t helped that we have not signed any experienced domestic players over the last few years (in fact, I am struggling to think of many experienced domestic signings other than Steven Crook, Joe Denly and James Harris over the last decade) and are reluctant to sign overseas players. Therefore, it is heartening to hear Dawid Malan suggesting that he expects there to be some changes this winter. It is also heartening to read BBC’s report quoting Angus Fraser as saying that he is ‘angry’ about this performance. I would prefer people from the club to make comments along these lines rather than play down the situation in which we find ourselves.

One bright spot is that I am not aware of us incurring any deduction of points for a slow over rate. I always find my eyes drawn towards the ‘points’ section of the scorecard after the end of each match due to my fear that we may have suffered a deduction!

Deckchair 12 September, 2019 18:44
Woeful. Just a really bad and sad team without any spark, fire or grit. It was Durham, for God's sake! At home! Last five wickets for just 27 runs!
On the plus side, things can only get better.
Maybe.

middleman 12 September, 2019 19:56
Obviously all very disappointing.

In most other counties I would expect to see the Director of cricket to either step down or resign after what has been three poor seasons. But our committee regime seem pretty toothless. All the changes to our structure and financial management doesn't seem to have done the club much good.

Maybe we are just a bit lost as a club at the moment with no real home. When I joined about 11 years ago even though we were not very good then either Lords seemed a more welcoming place. Now it seems that we have the MCC in the pavillion and Middlesex elsewhere. The MCC being more concerned about income from Test matches, T20 and the forthcoming Hundred. I expect De Villiers was sponsored by the MCC to maximise income.

I encouraged a couple of friends to join after our championship success. They are now considering not renewing especially as the number of days at Lords may well be reduced with the new structure next season.

Seaxe_man1 12 September, 2019 19:59
' Back in the red' good heading. Maybe brown a more appropriate colour but hey ho.

Arrived at lunchtime and was told 100 for 4 or thereabouts. Robbo still in.

Prospects said Leon. My reply. You never know with MX batting. I did not expect it to be over by twenty past two however.

Rushworth and Carse bowled straight for Durham which helped and Robbo was undone straight away by one that curved away and taken by a good catch by the keeper.

That dismissal opened the door and Durham rushed through it.

That result (19 points) shifts Durham up to 147 points and currently third before other results are known.

MX with three points puts us on 120 and position unchanged until other results are known. At the moment likely to stay 7th but certainly not upwards.

Seaxe_man1 12 September, 2019 20:05
Taking between one and two million from each MX T20, they (MCC) should sponsor the whole team but looking at the'deal' we have with them, I very much doubt it.

The ground will sell out T20's with or without de Villiers with no disrespect to him intended. The stand with Morgs was a highlight to remember.

Our take per T20 game was circa £23000.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 20:09 by Seaxe_man1.

Bring back the Crusaders 12 September, 2019 20:53
I suppose the only saving grace for the season is that Leicestershire will struggle to finish above us so at least there is a team in the division to deprive us of the wooden spoon.
This has to be the worst Middx team in living memory only run close by last years team by a short head.
With the exception of Malan not one of our players would get anywhere near the Lancashire squad let alone their starting eleven.
Eskinazi would struggle to get a game at Ealing or Brentham and if the future is the likes of Holden & Scott then times are bleak.
Mr. Fraser appears an honourable man and if he truly has Middlesex at heart will resign at the end of the season

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 21:15
The real hard work will be done this winter.

County cricket is a bit like an actor in repertory theatre.

It's non stop. For 6 months every day is a playing day, or a travelling day, and the few that aren't are much needed rest days. There just doesn't seem to be the time (except off season) to work on totally changing your technique. Some people clearly need to work out a better way to survive and score in conditions when the ball is moving around under typical english cloud . It's not like growing up playing the game in Australia and it never will be.

Maybe I'm more generous than most, but everyone gets one more year to improve. Real hard work in the winter. (I assume bowling machines whilst they might bowl at 90 in indoor nets can't replicate seam movement on a damp, miserable April morning, so maybe they look a million dollars in the indoor school in February, but can't do it when it counts in April. But they must put some thought in to what they need to do to overcome the days they regularly face like today.

So a winter of real hard work for some people, which hopefully bears better fruit next year.

BREARS 12 September, 2019 21:17
Excellent post

Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
I suppose the only saving grace for the season is that Leicestershire will struggle to finish above us so at least there is a team in the division to deprive us of the wooden spoon.
This has to be the worst Middx team in living memory only run close by last years team by a short head.
With the exception of Malan not one of our players would get anywhere near the Lancashire squad let alone their starting eleven.
Eskinazi would struggle to get a game at Ealing or Brentham and if the future is the likes of Holden & Scott then times are bleak.
Mr. Fraser appears an honourable man and if he truly has Middlesex at heart will resign at the end of the season

Ebor Gooner 12 September, 2019 22:46
Dawid sounds despondent, disheartened and frustrated in this interview. Very similar to how Stuart Law sounded in an interviewer earlier in the season. I find it extremely concerning that these two (and presumably the other coaches) have been incapable of getting the players to perform anywhere close to their potential.

I worry that Mala will decide he'd be better off playing Div 1 cricket elsewhere. Especially as Middlesex must now be very close to deciding it's time to give youth a chance - which inevitably means a couple of years of rebuilding.

Seaxe_man1 13 September, 2019 06:40
Most Mx youth are doing well elsewhere mate.

MiddleToWest 13 September, 2019 08:13
When we won the title all those hundreds of years ago, the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. Now it's the opposite.

That year Eskinazi looked special; with Gubbins it was a question of when (not if) he'd play for England, the bowling unit was good too. We had a steady, if unostentatious all-rounder captain.

Seven of the team that beat Yorkshire on that final day played against Durham. None of them has gone past what should be the peak of their careers in that time - bar Murts, but he defies time and logic. Robbo is decent but has too many lean spells but what on Earth has happened to Gubbins and Eskinazi? They don't seem anywhere near good enough to be county cricketers these days. They should be piling up the runs against div two attacks but look like they'd struggle in a local league.

As others have said, our players thrive away from Middlesex. Why?

And where can we get another Rogers and another Franklin?

freddie tittlemouse 13 September, 2019 10:07
The number of players who have met or exceeded expectations this year can be counted on the fingers of one hand - Malan Murtagh Simpson TRJ (after dodgy start) All over 30. The rest have either gone backwards or failed to kick on. They can't all be out of form. There are hardly any players in the seconds really kicking the door to the first team down. Players who were being bigged up as having England potential (Gubbins Holden Helm Harris) are not even on the radar.
I feel as despondent as I was during the dark days under Hutton. After 20 years of dross prior to 2016 surely we deserve better.

chunkyinargyll 13 September, 2019 12:26
Here's an interesting stat.

Somerset may well win the championship this year but their best batsman (Bartlett) is only averaging 35.2. Two others have an average above 30,

Crucially they have seven bowlers with averages below 25, and another three below 30.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Compare with our averages.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

We actually have five batsmen with averages above 30 (two of 50 or above) , but the thing that stands out is we only have four bowlers with an average under 25, and one more between 25-30

So you could say it is our bowlers that are letting teams off the hook in low scoring matches. We lose close games by about 50 runs. It's easy to look at a low scoring game and say 'Blame the batsman' but maybe the bowlers aren't capitalising in helpful conditions.

Bartlett would only be fourth in our batting averages, but he might end up with a championship winners medal.

Edit- and two of our 'bowlers' who are under 25 are Stirling and Robson with two wickets each. Take them out and we only have two under 25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2019 12:30 by chunkyinargyll.

freddie tittlemouse 13 September, 2019 13:15
In 2016 we had 9 (yes 9!) Batsmen averaging over 40 in a higher division.
How are the mighty fallen!

Jonathan Winsky 13 September, 2019 18:05
Speaking to ECB Reporters Network, Angus Fraser has suggested that Middlesex will seek to make at least one signing in the batting department this winter (whether that be an overseas signing or a domestic signing), although he says that the way the 2020 season will be structured may impede our efforts.

Bring back the Crusaders 13 September, 2019 19:28
With regard the averages and batting points - we are joint bottom with 19 points with an average of just over 1.5 points per game which is pretty pathetic and has been for the last few seasons - our best batting performances seem to be reserved for the second innings.
Even Leicestershire have achieved 22 batting points.
Not pleasing to see Mr. Fraser already making excuses for the 2020 season before this one is finished.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net