Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Lord's in 1948
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 08 September, 2019 13:34
Lord's in 1948
chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2019 13:34
As the Compton and Edrich stands are about to be demolished I was thinking how much of the ground has been rebuilt since I first saw my first game in 1970.

This 17 minute film from 1948 features a lot of crowd and ground shots. It is mostly about the 1948 Ashes test, but with plenty of diversions.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Lord's in 1948
freddie tittlemouse 08 September, 2019 15:41
I remember the Old Warner stand being built, can't remember the year but it was considered very state of the art. I also remember the seats at the Nursery end were so uncomfortable that everybody used to hire one of those dark green padded cushions to make them bearable. I also remember the bottle blonde who ran the ice cream van behind the sight screen - she was there for years.
How long is this rebuilding of the Edrich and Compton stand going to take? It was bad enough when they built the media centre.

Surbiton crusader2 08 September, 2019 17:30
How long? too bloody long that's my reckoning. Remenber the current Warner stand construction

SC2

BeefyRoberts 08 September, 2019 21:08
I'm still at a loss why they couldn't start the rebuild work in a couple of weeks after the season ends.
No doubt it will be like sitting in a building site.
Will the main demolition be halted during the two remaining games?

BeefyRoberts 10 September, 2019 11:09
The building works have started,obviously!
But......to everyone's dismay the toilet block behind The Edrich stand has been demolished.
Built in 1926,just a pile of rubble now.
The Porcelain Palace is no more,all who spoken about it to said thought it was a listed building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net