Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Miguel Cummins
Discussion started by BeefyRoberts , 08 September, 2019 19:54
Miguel Cummins
BeefyRoberts 08 September, 2019 19:54
On facebook,someone has posted a picture of Middlesex kit,and number 41 on it,along with name Cummins on it.
Saying he has signed for rest of season,anyone else seen anything about this?

Re: Miguel Cummins
chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2019 20:06
Don't know.

Not an outstanding record in the 14 tests he has played, but a decent first class bowling average of 210 wickets at just over 25.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

He won't solve our batting problems though.Career batting average of 6.56

Jonathan Winsky 08 September, 2019 21:26
I am not aware of this news, although the only reason why I can see Miguel Cummins being pictured wearing Middlesex kit would be if he was about to be announced as having signed for the conclusion of our season. I would have expected Cummins to have a team in the Caribbean Premier League, but he does not have one, so clearly he is available.

It is a surprise that we are set to sign another fast bowler, as our squad includes Tim Murtagh, Toby Roland-Jones, Steven Finn, James Harris, Ethan Bamber and Tom Barber, and we tend to prefer giving opportunities to players already in our squad rather than bring in players from overseas or from other counties. However, this policy hasn’t exactly helped our County Championship performances over the last three seasons, so maybe Cummins can make an impact and fire us to promotion.

Cummins made an impact when he played 3 Championship matches for Worcestershire in 2016, taking 15 wickets, although as everyone at Middlesex knows, what happened in 2016 isn’t necessarily relevant to what will happen in 2019!

Cummins’ most recent Test appearance for West Indies was v India in Antigua a couple of weeks ago, when he bowled 20 wicketless overs and scored 0 off 45 and 19 not out off 22 as West Indies lost by 318 runs. Although his first innings batting performance meant that he recorded the second-longest duck in Test history, it enabled he and Jason Holder to add 41 for the ninth wicket and shows that he can stick around to frustrate opposing bowlers, while the second innings saw Cummins score quick runs thanks to his two fours and one six.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 05:37
We'll find out later today if this is true or not.

I would have thought we were in a more of a need for a batsman, but you need 20 wickets to win a match.

I'm not aware of any injuries, so I assume TRJ and Murts are certs to play, and Helm has done alright, with 24 wickets at an average of 25.

I'm not sure what this would say to James Harris, 13 wickets at 50.54, or Steven Finn, 10 wickets at 45.80 but I suppose this would be a last throw of the dice in an attempt to get an unlikely third place and promotion.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 10:00
CONFIRMED

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 10:01

antryg 09 September, 2019 10:07
Chuinky I think what is says is that Stuart Law understands what the current bowlers are capable of now. It was inevitable that he would take a little while to get to this point. I am hoping for some personel changes during the off season.

BREARS 09 September, 2019 10:15
A real kick in the teeth for our elite test standard bowling attack. Bad news for Harris and Finn

adelaide 09 September, 2019 10:25
Finn, Helm and Roland-Jones have played all our T20 matches, I think. Many counties have rested one or more of their front line CC seam attack. I know that T20 is intense mentally and physically but I would have hoped that bowling 12 overs a week (OK, OK, I realise they practice a lot too and have to fling themselves around in the field) would lead to big time soreness and niggles.

Ah well, here's hoping that Cummins is like Diamond Three and adds some oomph to out campaign.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 09 September, 2019 14:42
Is this just for 3 games or longer?
Do I sense a certain underlying irony in the statement that we're signing somebody who can bowl with hostility?
And I wouldn't like to miss an opportunity to point out that if we hadn't dispensed with Podmore it wouldn't be necessary to bring in a pace bowler.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2019 14:56
Just the last 3 games, FT.

For now, anyway.

Jonathan Winsky 09 September, 2019 17:53
As well as the hope that Miguel Cummins will bring hostility to Middlesex’s bowling attack, it is interesting that Angus Fraser says that the other intended upshot of this signing is that it will hopefully freshen up our attack, as it seems that the fast bowlers already at the club either have strains or may pick some up strains in our remaining matches. Although I am not aware of there being any injury concerns amongst our fast bowlers, I can understand where Gus is coming from, as the presence of Cummins means that we will be in a position to rotate our fast bowlers for our three remaining matches. Maybe the fast bowlers already at the club will only play two matches each to keep themselves fresh (although it would be great if we could get three matches from Cummins). Maybe the fact we now have an extra fast bowler at the club will enable the other fast bowlers selected for our next two matches to give their all, rather than think to themselves that they need to keep some energy in the bank as a result of them expecting to be asked to play another match the following week.

freddie tittlemouse 09 September, 2019 18:30
I don't follow this line of reasoning at all.The bowlers have hardly been flogging themselves to death. How many overs has Harris bowled, or Murtagh, in the last month?

adelaide 09 September, 2019 22:54
I hope Cummins has a short enough run not to worsen our over rate further.

Adelaide

Bring back the Crusaders 09 September, 2019 23:42
Just when we needed a class batsman to put some runs on the board and accumulate some batting points we sign a fast bowler - I really struggle to understand the thinking behind this.

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 05:46
The thinking is we need 20 wickets to win a game of cricket, and Harris, Finn and Sowter haven't taken many wickets between them, each at a poor average. Sowter will play for the variety he gives, but I can see Law's reasoning.

freddie tittlemouse 10 September, 2019 08:34
No point taking 20 wickets if the opposition scores more runs than us.

Fozzie 10 September, 2019 11:26
A first wicket for Miguel from the opening ball of his second spell. He looks to have quite an easy, rhythmic action, with all the effort concentrated in the delivery. And the length of his run-up is similar to Murts' rather than Finny's, so he shouldn't have a negative effect on our over rate.

Old Enfield Colt 12 September, 2019 08:09
Bowled 19 overs in the Durham 2nd Innings, so can't knock his commitment or stamina. Seemed to ' grow into ' the game and was well supported by the other players, lots of chirp & back slaps.

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 08:55
Kevin Hand on commentary has made a couple of comments that suggest these last three matches might be a try out for a longer contract (although West Indies are over here next summer)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net