Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Sir Andrew Strauss
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 10 September, 2019 05:35
Sir Andrew Strauss
chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 05:35
Awarded a knighthood by Theresa May

[www.shropshirestar.com]

Richly deserved for his England career and captaincy, and cancer research fundraising.

Geoffrey Boycott also gets a knighthood which is also fair enough after his long service to cricket.

Congratulations to Straussey. A shame Ruth didn't get to see him knighted.

Re: Sir Andrew Strauss
freddie tittlemouse 10 September, 2019 09:29
The same Boycott who assaults women and refused to play for his country. No thanks.

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2019 11:42
Gus Fraser tribute-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Jonathan Winsky 10 September, 2019 19:13
Congratulations to Sir Andrew.

I felt it was destined that he would receive a knighthood at some point, as his playing career saw him participate in three Ashes series wins (two as captain) and lead England to number one in the ICC Test rankings, while he then played a role in England winning the 2019 World Cup and set up the Ruth Strauss Foundation. However, I expected that it would probably come a few years down the line once the foundation has had time to make an impact, although I suppose this honours list is different considering the recipients were selected by outgoing Prime Minister Theresa May rather than by those who select the recipients in the New Year or for the Queen’s Birthday, which gave Strauss an alternative route to an honour. As May seems to be a big cricket fan (as evidenced by the fact that Strauss and Sir Geoffrey Boycott are about the only beneficiaries from this list to not come from politics), has attended few days of England matches in recent years and her constituency of Maidenhead is not far from Strauss’s home in Marlow, it is unsurprising that she is aware of Strauss’s role in England’s World Cup triumph and work with the foundation.

I actually heard about this news at around the time it was announced at midnight, as I stayed up to find out the result of last night’s motion to call a General Election, which was eventually announced at around 12:30am, which was an hour after it was originally expected to be announced. My decision to stay up turned out to be a waste of time, as the result of the motion was more or less what it was expected to be. As soon as I heard the news about the honours list, I expected that the knighthood of Boycott wouldn’t be universally popular.

Now Strauss and Alastair Cook have knighthoods, with the possibility of some members of the World Cup campaign getting some in the New Year (surely, many members of the side will get some sort of honours), James Anderson really should get one. After all, if Cook can get one for being 1st in the list of most Test runs for England and 5th worldwide, then Anderson deserves a knighthood for trumping that by being 1st in the list of most Test wickets for England, 4th worldwide amongst all bowlers and 1st worldwide amongst fast bowlers.

Jonathan Winsky 12 September, 2019 19:02
It is great to hear that Sir Andrew Strauss is back in employment, as he has been appointed chair of ECB's cricket committee.

Seaxe Boy 02 October, 2019 16:50
Congratulations to Sir Andrew Strauss upon his knighthood and appointment as the ECB chairman of cricket.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net