Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

David Gower and Ian Botham dropped by Sky
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 12 September, 2019 12:03
David Gower and Ian Botham dropped by Sky
chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 12:03
The final test at The Oval is their last.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Just as players reach a point when they can't produce the goods anymore, so do commentators.

Willis seems to have survived the cull.

Re: David Gower and Ian Botham dropped by Sky
Fozzie 12 September, 2019 13:30
Gower still seems to me to be doing a very good job as anchorman. Botham could have been put out to grass years ago. I've never much liked Willis, but he's more palatable in the Debate slot than as a commentator.

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2019 13:35
Like all broadcasters Sky have been cutting costs in recent years.

Long standing people like Gower and Botham will have been on big bucks.

Someone like Ian Ward or Isa Guha to front the programme will be cheaper than Gower.

Botham always used to moan if a game went in to a fifth day, as it ate in to his golf or fishing.

Seaxe_man1 13 September, 2019 10:47
Sky directors too obsessed with panning the crowd for nonentities (celebrities) known only to them.

By the time we get back to play, it has moved on. This applies to all sports.

The two mentioned have been around a long time.

As mentioned no longer cheap to employ.

Suggests subscribers are getting more selective.

freddie tittlemouse 13 September, 2019 17:23
Can't we just have Bumble and Isa Guha and get rid of the rest?

Stephen1973 19 September, 2019 06:11
I always liked Gower, he has been constantly good and relaxed and not over-excitable. I don't think Botham has ever been good commentator, I remember being instantly disappointed by him... naively thinking he would be something like as good a commentator as he was a player.

I know it's always been the case to a degree but I miss the days when there were actual commentators rather than former sport stars who broadcasters think can commentate. I think Snooker is the worst for this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net