Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Should they stay or should they go
Bring back the Crusaders 15 September, 2019 19:02
If we ever leave the EU I have read somewhere (could be the Cricketer) that Kolpak players would not be eligible to play in the UK.
I believe Kolpak is a European Court of Justice ruling which would not be applicable after Brexit

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2019 19:44
Quote:
Bring back the Crusaders
If we ever leave the EU I have read somewhere (could be the Cricketer) that Kolpak players would not be eligible to play in the UK.
I believe Kolpak is a European Court of Justice ruling which would not be applicable after Brexit
you are correct and we will be leaving shortly. No great stomach apart from the toffs to stay in that dodgy club. I imagine convenient passports will replace kolpak.

adelaide 18 September, 2019 07:25
That would be toffs like Johnson and Rees-Mogg, would it?

One of the most depressing aspects of all this is the way that using labels like toff, racist or traitor has become the norm, replacing rational debate. That and it no longer being shameful for a politician to be found to be lying. The infection is in both sides and is going to be very hard to eliminate.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 18 September, 2019 09:31
Quote:
adelaide
That would be toffs like Johnson and Rees-Mogg, would it?
One of the most depressing aspects of all this is the way that using labels like toff, racist or traitor has become the norm, replacing rational debate. That and it no longer being shameful for a politician to be found to be lying. The infection is in both sides and is going to be very hard to eliminate.

Adelaide
Totally agree although I think this forum should be one place (possibly the only place) where we can escape from Brexitty arguments.

adelaide 18 September, 2019 10:20
Agreed in turn. Keep it off and if we can't, keep the insulting terms off!

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2019 10:26
Hypothetically (and it is hypothetical at this stage) if Leicestershire were to release Neil Dexter, would we want him back for a couple of years?

freddie tittlemouse 18 September, 2019 11:58
Having missed out on getting Gareth Berg back you mean? I don't quite see him as our elusive all rounder at this stage, but at least we could field a geriatric pace attack - Dexter Harris TRJ Finn Murtagh all 30 or over next season.

Darren Gosling 20 September, 2019 22:42
I found Gus' comments bizarre - knee jerk reaction after three years of failure by the same batting group? How is that knee-jerk after so long - knee-jerk to me would be jettisoning players just 12 months after winning the title. 3 years and counting - how long does Gus want to give them?

As for developing players from within we have, as Seaxeman says.
Godleman, Higgins & Lace all scored 800+ runs elsewhere and Podmore and Higgins took 40+ wickets.

Gus should be the first to go....same players, same results and same excuses for 3 years.
It's been the same post match interview for 3 years now - just the person delivering it changes.....

freddie tittlemouse 21 September, 2019 10:12
Higgins was condemned by some on here for joining a second rate county instead of staying here and fighting his way into the team. Wel it looks as if he'll be the one playing in the first division next season.

adelaide 21 September, 2019 12:01
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Higgins was condemned by some on here for joining a second rate county instead of staying here and fighting his way into the team. Wel it looks as if he'll be the one playing in the first division next season.
Might be a one season stay though.

Players under contract do move these days when it suits all parties. Sometimes it is a swap. Freezing a player out is one way of encouraging someone to move on mid-contract.

Players don't always see out their contracts either and I am apprehensive that players we do want to keep don't want to stay.

Adelaide

Ebor Gooner 21 September, 2019 22:51
I'd be delighted if Godleman, Higgins, White and Lace were scoring runs and taking wickets for Middlesex. Someone, somewhere decided they weren't' good enough for Middlesex. Have they been? If so, surely the management team need tomlookk at the decisin. They are not, in the cases of Godleman and Higgins, because our management deemed them not as good as our incumbents. Discuss.j

Add in sending Lace out on loan (presumably because the management feel the incumbents are better) He has done much, much better than those who were retained. Doesntbsaybmuvh for those decision makers.

My XI for the start of next season. Lace, Robson, Holden, Malan, Scott, Simpson, Harris, Roland-Jones, Sowter, Bamber, Murtagh. Gubbins and Eskinazi as back up batsmen, and Finn and Cunnins to back up the bowling. I'd hope Robbie White would pressure Simpson for the WK spot. My fear is that Eski and Gubo will be given yet another chance to show they aren't quite up to the task.

Jonathan Winsky 21 September, 2019 23:41
The Mail on Sunday report that Dawid Malan may move to Yorkshire as despite being contracted to Middlesex until 2021, his position at Middlesex “is under severe threat with a season review pending”.

I would have thought Malan would be the last player we would like to see leave the club, and it would be a big blow for our plans for next season if he leaves. If he does go, I could understand it coming as a result of him pushing for a transfer in the hope that playing in division one could get him back into the England side (although it could also be interpreted as deserting a sinking ship). However, the way the article is written suggests that the move could be the result of this season review conducted by the club concluding that the team would be better off without him, which would be a very surprising decision to make, as he has been arguably our best player this season.

About the only bright spot is that we are having a season review, as that is better than not taking any steps to address our various shortcomings this season.

chunkyinargyll 22 September, 2019 06:43
That would be a disaster if true.

I could understand Malan wanting out, because he clearly wants to get back in the test side.

I wouldn't be happy letting someone with 2 years left on their contract go.

Maybe we could promise to let him go this time next year if we don't get promoted, if he agrees to stay for 2020.

chunkyinargyll 22 September, 2019 08:04
Started separate Malan thread as I know not everyone bothers to look at every thread.

Mark Drukker 22 September, 2019 19:49
Davies starred as both opener and keeper as Berkshire won the Minor Counties final for the 4th time in a row in a low scoring game. Lincoln failed, but scored lots of runs in the previous game.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2019 06:17
Over the next couple of weeks we will find out what will happen with Rayner, Murtagh and Barber. As far as I'm aware those three (along with Morgan) are the only ones whose contracts have expired.

But what would people do about Andersson, Scott and White?

Their contracts expire this time next year, so do you offer them a contract extension now, or sit back and see what sort of a season they have next year?

I can't conceive of a situation where all three will still be with Middlesex in say 2023, because they are all fighting for a maximum of one place in the first team. Offer them a one year extension now and you have them until the end of 2021, even if by this time next year you've decided they won't make the grade. On the other hand sit back and see what 2020 brings and one of them makes a significant advance and gets their maiden hundred and a number of fifties, and (in the case of Andersson and Scott) picks up a few wickets as well. You then want to keep them, but as you didn't give them an extension now they are free to join Gloucestershire.

In short, exactly the same situation we got into with Ryan Higgins, where we have to try and anticipate now what sort of a 2020 season they will have, when really we would sooner sit back and see which one of the three does best next year, then stick with that person, and say good-bye to the other two.

So I reckon the hardest decisions Law, Fraser and Goatley have to make concerns those whose contracts run out in a years time. They won't want to be stuck with someone until the end of 2021 if they've written them off by this time next year- but they won't want to run the risk of another Higgins either.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2019 12:47
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Hypothetically (and it is hypothetical at this stage) if Leicestershire were to release Neil Dexter, would we want him back for a couple of years?

No longer hypothetical- released by Leicestershire.

I suppose taking a Leicestershire reject might show how far we have fallen, but he might be a handy sticking plaster for a couple of years.

freddie tittlemouse 27 September, 2019 15:52
There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth by almost all on this board when Higgins left as you can see from the original thread. I do not envisage quite the same level of anguish over Scott White or Andersson. What we have seen in the past is our coaches failing to recognize talent and failing to bring the best out of talent. We don't know if Higgins would have kicked on like he has if he had stayed at Middlesex.

Seaxe_man1 30 September, 2019 14:50
I doubt that any of the recent departures were last minute decisions.

Podmore's goose was cooked early in 2017 when someone on the recently departed coaching set-up, recommended his departure, as not good enough.

He was subsequently loaned out to Kent that season.

Higgins fate must have been decided before the T20 match at Cheltenham, early season, which alerted Gloucestershire's subsequent interest.

Again, the recently departed coaching set up have to be 'in the frame''. on that.

One hopes Fred, a little more patience will be shown with your trio.

Andersson dogged by injury scored a decent 80 at Old Trafford against a strong bowling attack.

Subsequently two of whom, Mahmood and Parkinson, have been selected for the NZ tour.

Pringle in the Cricket Paper was critical of those picks on the basis they were second division players.

Seems to have overlooked Labuschagne's 1114 second division runs including 5 centuries for Glamorgan.

He slotted into the Aussie Test side after Smith's injury and after Smith, looked to be their soundest batting technician.

But then Pringle,when on the Telegraph described the England Captain at that time, Andrew Strauss, as a 'Meat and two Veg' captain.

Straussey damned with faint praise. He captained England 50 more times than Pringle, who maybe is'nt the sharpest tool in the box.

In that he shares judgemental characteristics with our former staff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/09/2019 15:29 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 30 September, 2019 15:29
SM

Higgins's fate sealed? He wanted to leave us. OK, that may have been because the coaching staff didn't rate him that highly but I don't think Middlesex wanted him to leave.

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net