Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Should they stay or should they go
chunkyinargyll 30 September, 2019 20:21
Announced at the forum Ollie Rayner and Tom Barber have left.

And Nathan Sowter signs until September 2021.

Jonathan Winsky 30 September, 2019 21:46
When Middlesex signed Tom Barber, there was a lot of hope on the part of the coaches at Middlesex and ECB that he could become a good fast bowler thanks to the pace he possesses. However, it didn’t seem to work out for him at Middlesex, as his accuracy wasn’t at the same level as his pace. We will have to see whether he can go on to become the latest player who goes on to have a good career after leaving Middlesex.

I foresaw that Ollie Rayner’s time at the club would end, although what took me by surprise was when Angus Fraser said at the forum (although it is not shown on the article) that Nathan Sowter will become our number one spinner in all three formats, as the fact Sowter’s 7 Championship appearances yielded just 14 wickets made me doubtful that the club would persist with him in that competition. However, I remembered that Rayner’s statistics were not impressive until he took 15 wickets v Surrey at The Oval in 2013 on his way to 41 wickets that season, before he took 51 wickets the season we won the title. So, the hope will be that Sowter can eventually reach those heights if he can get a run in the side and learn a bit more about the craft of bowling in the Championship. Now Rayner has left the club, it gives hope that Luke Hollman and Thilan Walallawita may come closer to our 1st XI next season. Stuart Law spoke highly of the latter two at the forum, as well as of a few other youngsters.

chunkyinargyll 01 October, 2019 11:33
Gus's comments on Ollie Rayner's departure are rightfully of fulsome praise.

So much so that I'm thinking, 'If you loved him that much, why are you letting him go?'

[www.middlesexccc.com]

freddie tittlemouse 01 October, 2019 13:34
Shame about Barber. Had all the right attributes except that of being able to pitch the ball on the right square.

adelaide 01 October, 2019 15:30
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
So much so that I'm thinking, 'If you loved him that much, why are you letting him go?'

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Because those praiseworthy performances have become less and less frequent?

Adelaide

hdo 01 October, 2019 18:39
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Shame about Barber. Had all the right attributes except that of being able to pitch the ball on the right square.

Someone on Twitter has said that Middlesex will regret releasing Barber as he's a future England player. I wish him all the best, but I had to rub my eyes in disbelief at that one.

chunkyinargyll 01 October, 2019 18:47
Dear old Tom Barber.

As accurate as a Michael Fish weather forecast.

Seaxe Boy 02 October, 2019 16:42
I sincerely hope that Tim Murtagh will stay, even if he accepts a new registration category. With 700 first-class wickets for Middlesex during his career to date, he will be a good overseas signing. He was easily our leading wicket taker during a disappointing county championship season.

Jonathan Winsky 04 October, 2019 17:11
Speaking to ECB Reporters Network, Stuart Law says that Middlesex will look to add experience to their side this winter, while the article also says that Dawid Malan is expected to leave.

With regards to the possibility of us adding experience this winter, we have already brought in Miguel Cummins, and I know that it seems that our sights are set on bringing in an overseas player as a batsman, although I don’t know how likely it is there will be any signings in addition to that, e.g. someone who played for another county in 2019.

With regards to Malan, I really don’t know where he will play next season, as he told Lower Mound at today’s end-of-season dinner simply that he is contracted to Middlesex next season, and he didn’t give any indication to Kevin Hand during his most recent post-day’s play interview, so in other words, Malan seems reluctant to say definitively that he will remain at Middlesex or to say definitively that he will leave Middlesex. I think that it is known as a ‘diplomatic response’.

chunkyinargyll 04 October, 2019 17:25
Despite being under contract until the end of 2021 I expect Dawid Malan will be looking at a pay cut if he stays with us. That is on the assumption that the responsibility of being captain carries extra pay.

That alone may mean that if he wants to leave Middlesex won't be able to stop him (because we could well be cutting his pay if he is returning to the ranks).

adelaide 04 October, 2019 18:22
Not sure if it makes any difference but he resigned the captaincy so technically he has volunteered for any pay reduction! In practice he probably resigned before he was pushed and if a player is unhappy you don't want to keep hold of him on technicalities.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 04 October, 2019 20:52
Not worth starting a new thread over, so it can go on here.

I see Tom Lace has been voted our 'Emerging player of the year', even if he did do over 90% of his 'emerging' for Derbyshire (I think it was ten championship games for them, and only one for us).

[twitter.com]

All the other awards are also on twitter, including white ball player of the year Nathan Sowter, Boys youth team player, Josh DeCaires, and player of the year Dawid Malan.

freddie tittlemouse 05 October, 2019 08:58
Oh the irony of having an emerging player who played nearly all his games for another county. Sums it all up in a nutshell.
Was there also an award for "submerging player of the year?" There are a few candidates.

chunkyinargyll 09 October, 2019 18:12
This could just as easily go on the 'On the move' thread (in fact I'll put it there as well) but Reece Topley has turned down a long term deal at Sussex, suggesting he has something better lined up.

[sussexcricket.co.uk]

Bearing in mind he trained with us in March I wonder if we are the 'better offer' although we now have Cummins as well, and would leave us over stocked in the 'seamers who can bat a bit' department.

BeefyRoberts 09 October, 2019 19:23
Myself I wouldnt want Topley at our club after the way he treated Sussex.
Sussex took him on,and helped him after back surgery and was without a club for 2 years.
Also,reading a lot of tweets by his father as well,I doubt he would be on top of the 'like to meet' list!

chunkyinargyll 09 October, 2019 19:34
Maybe he's after a division one club with a hundred team.

Warwickshire usually hoover up anyone who is available.

We shall see.

Topley senior is a crushing bore on commentary. Only Bob Hunt is worse.

Seaxe_man1 13 October, 2019 09:00
Quote:
adelaide
SM
Higgins's fate sealed? He wanted to leave us. OK, that may have been because the coaching staff didn't rate him that highly but I don't think Middlesex wanted him to leave.

Adelaide
some didn't but Scott and Johnson did.

Seaxe_man1 13 October, 2019 09:03
Quote:
adelaide
That would be toffs like Johnson and Rees-Mogg, would it?
G
One of the most depressing aspects of all this is the way that using labels like toff, racist or traitor has become the norm, replacing rational debate. That and it no longer being shameful for a politician to be found to be lying. The infection is in both sides and is going to be very hard to eliminate.

Adelaide
when I hear a painter and decorator being interviewed on that subject by the BBC chatterboxes I will believe that Adelaide.

Seaxe_man1 13 October, 2019 09:08
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
chunkyinargyll

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Because those praiseworthy performances have become less and less frequent? N

Adelaide
Gus was equally full of praise for Tom Barber. Saying he was sorry he never worked out with Mx. Adding he was a nice bloke.

chunkyinargyll 13 October, 2019 09:19
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Quote:
adelaide
Quote:
chunkyinargyll

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Because those praiseworthy performances have become less and less frequent? N

Adelaide
Gus was equally full of praise for Tom Barber. Saying he was sorry he never worked out with Mx. Adding he was a nice bloke.

Gus has been known to say nothing at all (James Fuller's departure) presumably on the basis of 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything'.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net