Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Lancashire 16-19th September 2019
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 13 September, 2019 17:09
Lancashire 16-19th September 2019
chunkyinargyll 13 September, 2019 17:09
Now that Lancashire are definitely promoted and realistically we won't be, this might be a chance to ring the changes.

It's all well and good being loyal to players who have done it before, but you have to be fair to people who have produced in the seconds.

I'd give Martin Andersson a game, at Steve Eskinazi's expense. Now there's nothing to lose do we give Tom Barber a last chance to prove his worth? I'm guessing not- otherwise why sign Miguel Cummins.

Anyway, a few fresh faces would at least make it a bit more interesting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 12:53 by BarmierKev.

Re: Lancashire 16-19th September 2019
Jonathan Winsky 13 September, 2019 19:46
It is disappointing that Middlesex will enter this match with just pride to play for, although I would like to think that our players will be keen for the history books to show our finish in division two of the 2019 County Championship to have been closer to 3rd than to 10th.

There haven't been many times this season when I have approached a match not feeling particularly confident that we can avoid defeat, and there have only been about three or four occasions that my predicted result on Know Your Cricket has been a defeat, but that is how I intend to predict this match, especially as I don’t think much Manchester rain is forecast. However, if we were to win, then that would give us a lot of confidence to take into the 2020 season.

When we signed Miguel Cummins, the hope was that his signing would fire us to promotion by way of him taking some wickets and his presence allowing us to rotate our fast bowlers. However, as promotion is no longer possible, the point of signing him has been more or less defeated. Still, our fast bowling department is actually a bright spot, as the match v Durham at Lord’s saw us bowl our opponents out for 147 and 191 (although those totals were higher than ours) and not need to do any bowling on the final two days, while we might have Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm back for this match. The only problem with looking so strong in the fast bowling department is that our difficulties in the batting department makes it difficult for the club to argue that they had correctly identified the area that needed strengthening.

chunkyinargyll 15 September, 2019 14:07
14 man squad named-

Malan (c), Andersson, Bamber, Cummins, Eskinazi, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Hollman, Robson, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson, Sowter.

Good to see Andersson in the squad after last weeks big 2nd Xi hundred, and Luke Hollman, who doesn't yet have a contract is also included.

BeefyRoberts 15 September, 2019 14:21
I know we like squad rotation,no Finny,no Murts.

chunkyinargyll 15 September, 2019 14:45
The inclusion of Hollman is interesting. Like Sowter he's a leg spinner, so I assume it's a case of either/or in this match. If, as seems likely Rayner is on his way then at least one new spinner on the staff will be required.

Hope he plays. The only interest in the last two games is getting behind young players if they get a chance.

Bring back the Crusaders 15 September, 2019 19:35
Lets hope we can take it into the 4th day and achieve a batting point or two.
Wishful thinking I know!

Seaxe_man1 15 September, 2019 19:50
Probably not a good idea to bat first.

Jonathan Winsky 15 September, 2019 20:09
It is great to see that there is a possibility of Martin Andersson adding to the three County Championship appearances he made for Middlesex in September 2018 and of Luke Hollman making his professional debut. Ethan Bamber will also hope to play to give himself an opportunity to look back at the 2019 season with fondness. If those players don’t play tomorrow, maybe they will get a go the following week v Derbyshire at Lord’s.

I would say that Andersson and Bamber both have a good chance of playing tomorrow. However, Hollman will only play if we select two spinners or if we play one spinner, with Hollman being preferred over Nathan Sowter. We didn’t play any spinners last week v Durham at Lord’s, so either of those scenarios would cause us to change the balance of our side.

One of the reasons why we brought in Miguel Cummins was so we could rotate our fast bowlers across what was hoped would be three important matches as we battled for promotion. It seems that despite promotion no longer being a possibility, we intend to continue this rotation. The official line is that Tim Murtagh and Steven Finn are rested and that Tom Helm remains on the sidelines due to ‘a hamstring niggle’. However, at least Toby Roland-Jones is in the squad after a calf injury ruled him out of the Durham match, in which he was apparently due to play until five minutes before the toss.

Dawid Malan will enter our final two matches of the season needing 67 more to pass 1,000 Championship runs for the season, a feat that no Middlesex player has achieved since Nick Gubbins scored 1,409 runs in 16 matches in 2016, which is 885 more runs than Gubbo has scored in 12 matches 2019.

Lancashire have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Dane Vilas (c), Tom Bailey, Josh Bohannon, Steven Croft, Alex Davies, Richard Gleeson, Keaton Jennings, Rob Jones, Danny Lamb, Liam Livingstone, Saqib Mahmood, Graham Onions and Matt Parkinson.

BeefyRoberts 15 September, 2019 20:12
Just arrived at Manchester,and can confirm its raining,not heavy,but its soggy

BarmierKev 15 September, 2019 22:38
Those hardy souls there enjoy as much as you can. I'm hoping Hollman, Andersson and Bamber are playing in this game where result will not effect either team's status for next season. Perhaps out of thios game we can gain some hope for the future.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 08:37
Should be dry all four days (allegedly)

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 10:22
Martin Andersson and Ethan Bamber play, but Luke Hollman will have to wait for another time.

Eskinazi and Scott the other two left out.

Uncontested toss, so Lanky bat first.

Seaxe_man1 16 September, 2019 10:23
Murky at Milton Milton Keynes and since but dry.

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 11:06
Yessssss.

Izzy Duncan gets in there with the fascinating news that Ethan Bamber's dad played Hitler in a film.

(Sm126)

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 17:37
The commentators seem to have forgotten that with a 10.30 start the official close should be at 5.30/

They keep congratulating both teams because they think the overs will be completed by 6, and are speculating if Lancashire will slow down.

4 out now.

BeefyRoberts 16 September, 2019 17:57
Looks like no batting points this time round.

Fozzie 16 September, 2019 17:58
34-6.

I really y do think we need to bring in some batting recruits...

MB 16 September, 2019 18:09
i ll be the first on this thread to provide the oft used adjective when describing Middlesex batting

Pathetic !!!!!

chunkyinargyll 16 September, 2019 18:11
The live stream for this match is very good quality.

A clear and undeniable gap in class between the two teams.

I know the momentum is all in favour of blaming the batmen, but some of the deliveries Bailey in particular bowled looked damn near unplayable, so I still think it's relevant to question whether our bowlers put the opposition batsmen under as pressure as they should.

I have a feeling day four won't be needed!

Jonathan Winsky 16 September, 2019 19:04
As Middlesex ended day one of last week’s match v Durham at Lord’s on 87-7 after bowling Durham out for 147, I knew that the fact we today bowled Lancashire out for what initially didn’t seem a particularly imposing total of 259 didn’t guarantee that it would go down as a good day for Middlesex. Indeed, when I left work with Lancs 9 wickets down, I had a big fear that I would come home to find us a few wickets down. Unfortunately, those fears ended up being realised.

Unless we can nearly treble our score from 39-6 to reach 110, Lancs will either enforce the follow-on (and be in a position to beat us inside two days) or be in a position to set us a difficult target. Even if we pass 110, the latter scenario would be very much possible.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net