Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Lancashire 16-19th September 2019
Westrock 17 September, 2019 17:02
A career-best 167* for John Simpson as Middlesex record the highest first-class total by a team that lost their first six wickets for fewer than 40!

freddie tittlemouse 17 September, 2019 17:04
My flabber is truly gasted. This thread has gone from despair to ecstasy in 6 hrs.

Deckchair 17 September, 2019 17:39
Yet hope springs ever eternal

Seaxe_man1 17 September, 2019 17:53
Best I have seen from a Mx keeper for many a long year. Chanceless well done Simmo. Nashy scored 10/11 tons for Mx. A target for you Johnny Boy. A miraculous day for The Middle. He was well supported by Harris. Rojo. Sowter and finally Banner. Well done to all.

Seaxe_man1 17 September, 2019 17:56
Even Bamber.

Jonathan Winsky 17 September, 2019 18:27
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Unless we can nearly treble our score from 39-6 to reach 110, Lancs will either enforce the follow-on (and be in a position to beat us inside two days) or be in a position to set us a difficult target. Even if we pass 110, the latter scenario would be very much possible

As the height of my ambition was for Middlesex to treble their score from their overnight 39-6, it was way beyond my wildest dreams for us to end up reaching a total which was just shy of 10 times the score we were on when we lost our sixth wicket, which was 34. It got me wondering what the record would be for the largest figure by which a side has multiplied their total in a first-class match after losing their sixth wicket, and it would surely follow that today’s performance has broken that record considering this is the highest first-class total by a team that lost their first six wickets for fewer than 40.

I was brought in mind of two previous Middlesex matches. One match was v Lancashire at Lord’s in the Royal London Cup in May 2019, as that match saw John Simpson and James Harris take us from 24-5 to 221-6, while this match saw that pair take us from 34-6 to 141-7 to give us both some momentum and a base for Toby Roland-Jones, Nathan Sowter and Ethan Bamber to also share in some important partnerships with Simmo. The other match was v Yorkshire at Lord’s in the County Championship in September 2015, as that match had a few parallels with this one, as it was our penultimate match of the season, our opponents were confirmed as divisional champions during the match, and we recovered from a very poor start to turn the match around. However, it remains to be seen whether today’s turnaround will ultimately be completed by way of Middlesex winning like we did in the 2015 match, or if Lancashire can once again get on to the front foot and be the winning side. We may have passed 110, but the scenario of Lancashire setting us a difficult target is still possible. It will obviously come down to how tomorrow goes.

Well done to Simmo on his role in the turnaround.

The only negative is that I am not sure how our batsmen’s confidence will be impacted by their collective poor performance being followed by four of the last five in our order scoring runs and sharing in a big partnership. In fact, had Bamber scored another couple of runs, I would have been able to phrase that differently by saying that all of our last five shared in a good partnership and each achieved a score better than any of our main batsmen, as none of our main batsmen passed 8.

Simmo has spoken to our YouTube page about today.

BarmierKev 17 September, 2019 18:31
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Even Bamber.

Thought it was spelt Ethan .

But what do I know?. I was giving advice to our faithful on Manchester tourist attractions for two days. What a turnaround.

An interesting match report from Beefy to be followed tomorrow morning with no health warnings,

chunkyinargyll 17 September, 2019 19:07
It seems that although Simmo was born in Bury he was more specifically brought up in Ramsbottom (which I think is part of Bury)

So- The Ramsbottom Ramprakash!

hdo 17 September, 2019 19:57
Lanky fans on Twitter are bemoaning the fact that they let Simpson go, in a somewhat delayed version of our Higgins issue. I suppose fans are all the same really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2019 19:58 by hdo.

Jonathan Winsky 17 September, 2019 21:53

MiddleToWest 18 September, 2019 07:29
Quote:

I notice in that match we lost our first three wickets in each innings at the same score - 0 & 87.

freddie tittlemouse 18 September, 2019 09:25
Eight of that team have played regularly this season, the exceptions being Compton Franklin and Dexter. That's a low turnover in 4 years.

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2019 16:35
Quite handy having bad light.

I wouldn't have wanted us to take the last 2 wickets and found ourselves needing to survive about 4 overs!

Could be a good finish tomorrow.

Jonathan Winsky 18 September, 2019 18:18
After day one was unquestionably Lancashire’s day, and day two was unquestionably Middlesex’s day, I suppose both teams could be happy about elements of today. We ended the day on a bright note by taking five wickets in the final 15.4 overs of the day’s play, something which was helped by the dismissal of Keaton Jennings just before the second new ball became available.

It will be interesting to see how we get on in our run chase, as our target would be less than any of the previous totals in this match if Lancs don’t add at least 48 more runs, and the frequency of wickets falling has slowed after 16 wickets fell on day one, as that was followed by 5 on day two and 7 on day 3 (indeed, only 2 wickets had fallen today until the aforementioned late flurry of wickets). However, not many of our batsmen will begin the chase in high confidence, as our target will be higher than some of the totals we have posted in previous matches and will be a few times higher than the total of 40-70 that it at one stage looked like we would end up posting in our first innings.

As Nathan Sowter has bowled 32.2 overs in this match and Max Holden has bowled 4, I would like to think that our over rate is not a concern.

Ethan Bamber has spoken to our YouTube page about today.

mglinert 19 September, 2019 10:20
Shouldn't be a problem chasing down 270 - it's not as if we were inconvenienced by 190 last week...oh wait ...

chunkyinargyll 19 September, 2019 10:47
Oh dear.

Both those dismissals were people totally lacking in confidence.

What do we do next week? Give Robbie White a game and give Paul Stirling a chance to say goodbye in front of the home crowd.

As I type, 3-3.

Best of luck Andersson!

hdo 19 September, 2019 10:50
Wonder if Simmo can dig us out of this one. All that hope and expectation for a run chase today, particularly when wickets were tumbling yesterday evening - only for our top order to instantly succumb meekly once again.

Lanarkian 19 September, 2019 10:52
This season cannot end quickly enough. Full of hope (rather than expectation) at the start of the season. Turned to dust by September. I suspect (hope?) that a clear-out will happen over the winter but where will that leave us for 2020?

freddie tittlemouse 19 September, 2019 13:46
Who can be "cleared out"? All the players in this match as far as I am aware are under contract for next season as are Murtagh Finn and Eskinazi. The question that really has to be answered is why Gubbins Eskinazi Holden and to a lesser extent Robson are so dismal. A good batsman in this division should average over 40.
I can see Malan, who prospects of getting back in the England team are melting away by being in Div 2 becoming thoroughly fed up.

chunkyinargyll 19 September, 2019 14:17
Very well played Martin Andersson.

Let's hope he doesn't have to spend next summer waiting for everyone else to fail first before he gets another chance.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net