Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Nearly done for another year- Derbyshire 23-26 September
chunkyinargyll 24 September, 2019 14:05
Dawid Malan stuck on 999 championship runs at the moment.

Hopefully they'll get a few more overs in today.

Surbiton crusader2 24 September, 2019 15:51
Play called off around 430pm

SC2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2019 22:14 by Surbiton crusader2.

Jonathan Winsky 24 September, 2019 22:22
I didn’t expect any play today, so I was surprised when I saw that there was hope that play could start at 11:30am, although it turned out that everyone had to wait a bit beyond that for a start.

The forecast for tomorrow morning isn’t great, although it is a bit better in the afternoon.

If Dawid Malan can score the one further run he requires for 1,000 County Championship runs for the season, it would only be the third time he would have achieved the feat after 2010 and 2014. The fact he has still not quite scored the 67 runs he required from Middlesex’s final two matches (and would be unlikely to get another chance if he fails to add to his overnight score) reminds of his battle to get there in 2010, as he required 10 runs from our final match v Worcestershire at Lord’s, but was out for 9 in the first innings, and although he reached the landmark in the second innings, he didn’t get much further as he was out for 2.

BeefyRoberts 25 September, 2019 07:55
Thankful for the tripod lights at Lords,at least we should get some play today.
Without tripod,no play would be an odds on favourite.
But,with the autumn equinox passed,and county cricket still be played..what do we expect?

chunkyinargyll 25 September, 2019 08:37
Looking at tomorrow's forecast and it's possible today could be the last day of our season (forecast tomorrow has 30%-50% showers all day, which for a cricket fan is useless- as in might get a lot of play, or none at all).

Two possibilities-

Bat for 110 overs (if they don't get us out sooner) and both sides go for most number of bonus points they can get

Or-

Use some imagination and declare on 300 (if not out sooner) Derbyshire forfeit first innings, we forfeit our second, and it becomes a straight run chase for Derbyshire.

Nothing in it for either team and doesn't affect any other county, so why not try to make a game of it?

BeefyRoberts 25 September, 2019 08:52
Forfeit inns?
Great idea,but I thought that was banned some years ago?
I maybe wrong,of course.
Any play is better than no play,but,the off/on/off/on isn't ideal for anyone really.

chunkyinargyll 25 September, 2019 09:39
if it is I don't see how you could stop a team declaring after one ball, but that just wastes time and overs.

Delayed start- drizzle.

chunkyinargyll 25 September, 2019 10:40
Kevin Hand giving the impression he thinks that was Malan's last innings for Middlesex.

Maybe those at the ground can comment on if his acknowledgement of the crowd as he walked off implied that was his last innings for us.

chunkyinargyll 25 September, 2019 17:47
Interview with Dawid Malan.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Again mentions Lord's pitches, and gets a bit cagey and defensive when asked about Yorkshire.

Jonathan Winsky 25 September, 2019 18:09
Well done to Dawid Malan on getting his tally of County Championship runs for the 2019 season into four figures. However, similar to what happened in 2010, he was out just a few runs after passing 1,000.

Well done to Tim Murtagh on taking his 700th first-class wicket for Middlesex.

About the only hint Malan gave in the above interview about his future is that he said that Middlesex is where his future lies. Lower Mound remarked to me that the way Malan saluted the ground after being dismissed hinted that today's innings was his final innings for the club.

I wouldn’t have thought that either Middlesex or Derbyshire will have a great deal of desperation to set up a match tomorrow. Derbyshire would be happy with a draw due to that enabling them to maintain their pre-match position, which makes it doubtful that they would co-operate were we to attempt to set a match up, while I don’t know how much desire we have to aim to win. Sussex v Worcestershire looks like being drawn, so Worcs shouldn’t overtake either ourselves or Derbyshire.

It remains to be seen what will happen with the weather and the match situation, but maybe Malan and some of his teammates will get another bat tomorrow.

Haringey Racer 25 September, 2019 18:41
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Kevin Hand giving the impression he thinks that was Malan's last innings for Middlesex.
Maybe those at the ground can comment on if his acknowledgement of the crowd as he walked off implied that was his last innings for us.

I don't think so - he seemed to be acknowledging the applause for the announcement that he'd passed 1000 runs for the season. KH may not have heard that.

Seaxe_man1 25 September, 2019 19:07
Chunky. As in all sports today all of the chatterboxes need something to chatter about. Growth industry. About 95% of their predictions don't happen. Personally can't see any advantage there for a bloke at this stage of his career moving up there. Heard he's getting married soon. Suspect the soon to be Mrs Malan will have a big say.

chunkyinargyll 25 September, 2019 19:18
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Heard he's getting married soon. Suspect the soon to be Mrs Malan will have a big say.

Maybe she's a Yorkshire lass.

[nora-battys.co.uk]

Seaxe_man1 26 September, 2019 08:24
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Heard he's getting married soon. Suspect the soon to be Mrs Malan will have a big say.

Maybe she's a Yorkshire lass. You seem keen to see him move there. Had a few quid on it chunky.

[nora-battys.co.uk]

Seaxe_man1 26 September, 2019 08:29
Yesterday the entertainment was enhanced watching the mechanical dinosaur chomping its way through the Compton Stand. Some decent shot play by the Derby middle order as well.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2019 08:34
Seaxe_Man.

I'm not 'keen on it'

But he could have ended the speculation in that interview and hid didn't really.

Yes, he said something about being under contract, but once again he mentioned Lord's pitches and it was a surprise to score runs (because at Lord's)

If he's fed up with the pitches and wants to get back in the test side he may well be considering a move to division one.

I interpreted that interview as meaning he hasn't decided yet. Maybe the end of season review will decide him. If he cops criticism from the coach for his captaincy (or has it taken off him) he may well leave. Stuart Law has said he doesn't like negative comments from the batsmen (defeatist attitude) but Dawid never misses the opportunity to make negative (defeatist) comments about Lord's pitches.

mglinert 26 September, 2019 10:01
Interestingly both teams have now been stuck on 199 during this match

Seaxe_man1 26 September, 2019 11:51
As he is still under contract to Mx chunky. Unlikely to air his inner thoughts. Doubt his agent would be enamoured either. Back in England T20 set up so likely to assauge his complaints about batting tracks. A more pleasant subject. Particularly if his fiancée is a T20 fan.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2019 15:02
All done for another year.

Final Middlesex averages-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Seaxe_man1 26 September, 2019 15:28
Nice to see Stirlo top of batting and bowling cc averages.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net