Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Nearly done for another year- Derbyshire 23-26 September
freddie tittlemouse 26 September, 2019 16:07
That's about the only thing nice to see. While looking at averages, study those of Higgins R, Lace T, Podmore H, and Rossington A.

I simply believe there there are NO excuses for our performance this season. No doubt mealy mouthed platitudes will be wheeled out by the usual suspects.

MB 26 September, 2019 16:55
Hard to understand how Gubbins was ever present & Eskinazi only missed 2 games in the championship

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2019 17:33
Stuart Law-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Might look to strengthen in the winter, and neatly sidesteps the question about Dawid Malan at the end.

hdo 26 September, 2019 17:46
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
That's about the only thing nice to see. While looking at averages, study those of Higgins R, Lace T, Podmore H, and Rossington A.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

rod/ed 26 September, 2019 17:49
Looking forward to the First Class fixtures being announced.

Jonathan Winsky 26 September, 2019 18:08
It is very disappointing that Middlesex have finished their County Championship campaign much closer to the bottom end of the table than towards the top end, as we finished 26 points and two places above bottom-placed Leicestershire, 49 points and five places behind Gloucestershire who took the final promotion place, and 100 points and seven places behind division two champions Lancashire. At least we appear to have kept the over rate under control in this match! (Sm60)

All I can say is that I hope that this winter is more productive than previous winters in terms of signings, and that next summer is more productive than previous summers in terms of results in the County Championship. With regards to the former, representatives from the club keep on suggesting that there will indeed be signings. With regards to the latter, I refuse to believe that our squad are incapable of rediscovering their form of three or four years ago. Stuart Law has suggested that he spent much of the 2019 season observing how our players perform in certain situations, so hopefully he can ensure that next season our players do better in whatever situations they have underperformed in.

On a brighter note, it bodes well for the future that Ethan Bamber took his maiden first-class five wicket haul in this match.

chunkyinargyll 26 September, 2019 18:13
Most counties have spent the last few weeks signing new players, or releasing players, or giving existing players contract extensions.

I can understand wanting to wait until it's all over because if you make a judgement on someone in mid August you might be wrong (give them a new three year deal, and they have a lousy last six weeks, or release them and see them do well on loan elsewhere).

But by the sounds of things our discussions on Murtagh, Barber, Rayner and anyone else who might be out of contract, or might want to leave a year early haven't even begun. That puts us behind other counties who are well on the way to resolving next years cast list, and if we want to strengthen some of the better alternatives have already been snaffled up.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 08:24
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Forfeit inns?
Great idea,but I thought that was banned some years ago?
I maybe wrong,of course.
Any play is better than no play,but,the off/on/off/on isn't ideal for anyone really.
only in one day cricket Beefy.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 08:24
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Forfeit inns?
Great idea,but I thought that was banned some years ago?
I maybe wrong,of course.
Any play is better than no play,but,the off/on/off/on isn't ideal for anyone really.
only in one day cricket Beefy. Brought about by the then Somerset captain Brian Rose to protect his superior run rate to ensure qualification in the one day cup.
The game was at Worcs and caused outrage at the time. People had bought tickets and travelled to discover there was no game. All from recall btw.

Brian Rose was a bit of a tricky dicky as it was strongly rumoured back in 1986 that he went on the field at Southgate during a seconds game and persuaded his namesake Graham Rose to leave MX.

Reasons he fed G Rose was that he would never get in the MX team of the day which was a lot stronger than our current team.

Happily it worked out for Rose who had a long career with the Cidermen. G. Rose born Tottenham. 1964.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2019 09:11 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 08:31
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
I simply believe there there are NO excuses for our performance this season. No doubt mealy mouthed platitudes will be wheeled out by the usual suspects.
yup congrats to all Fred. Rosso took Northants from bottom to second after Alex Wakely called it a day

Deckchair 27 September, 2019 08:36
Of course Middlesex have to recruit this winter. The team desperately needs an injection of talent and energy. But I suspect that we will not be the attractive proposition that we might have wished or hoped for. We have a seemingly entrenched top order batting line-up in name only, a strike attack that are all the other side of thirty, a captain who seems to want to get out, off and away, a club atmosphere that is far from together, happy or motivated and it is all overseen by the dead hand of a severely out of touch and past sell by date management. On top of which we are still in the bowels of the Second Division and occupying a place where no aspiring or potential Test player will want to be.
Can't see too many cricket blades and lancers will be eager to join us next year.
Love to be proved wrong though.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 09:12
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse

I will go and listen on Monday at 6pm Fred.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 09:19
Quote:
Deckchair
Of course Middlesex have to recruit this winter. The team desperately needs an injection of talent and energy. But I suspect that we will not be the attractive proposition that we might have wished or hoped for. We have a seemingly entrenched top order batting line-up in name only, a strike attack that are all the other side of thirty, a captain who seems to want to get out, off and away, a club atmosphere that is far from together, happy or motivated and it is all overseen by the dead hand of a severely out of touch and past sell by date management. On top of which we are still in the bowels of the Second Division and occupying a place where no aspiring or potential Test player will want to be.
Can't see too many cricket blades and lancers will be eager to join us next year.
Love to be proved wrong though.

Have to say Deckchair. You have not missed out on much there in your post on what potential recruits may be thinking.

Lifer 27 September, 2019 10:37
There is one thing we do have going for us …. we play at at Lord's . As I recall Rogers took a pay cut to play for us for that reason.

Defcon1 27 September, 2019 10:46
Well, thank goodness that's all over. A disaster from start to finish, although people will point to modest improvements in the whiteball stuff. However, even there we were hardly convincing. For outsiders it's difficult to discern exactly where the club's problems lie, although there is a sense of deep divisions and our results testify to wide-ranging issues. The seeds of this year's hopeless performance were sown a number of several years ago, and signs were evident even in our Championship year.

After last season's wretched showing I was hopeful that, under Stuart Law, things would improve. However, Law didn't really get involved until the back end of last year, far too late, I would suggest, to influence this season. He will certainly know what he's up against now.

chunkyinargyll 27 September, 2019 13:08
I'm not going to start another thread over this, because it's nowhere near definite- but interesting comments from Ravi Bopara, which imply he might be moving.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Realistically he is the kind of person we might be able to get.

Good for another three years, but Essex might be looking to give chances to younger players.

Neil Dexter also available as surplus to requirements at Leicestershire.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 13:38
It's rumoured that Bopara has signed a two year deal with Sussex a couple of weeks ago. If true, count him out. He is winding down red ball cricket by all accounts.

Seaxe_man1 27 September, 2019 13:48
[quote Lifer]There is one thing we do have going for us …. we play at at Lord's . As I recall Rogers took a pay cut to play for us for that reason.[/quote for/) Dan Vettori on a hundred big ones certainly did not. The incoming 100 merchants of London Spirit will be looking for a big pay cheque even if it at Lord's.

Jonathan Winsky 27 September, 2019 17:11
The County Championship averages suggest that Middlesex had just 4 players who both featured in at least 11 matches and had a good season in this competition, namely Dawid Malan, Sam Robson, John Simpson and Tim Murtagh. 3 more players featured in at least 11 matches in the form of Toby Roland-Jones, Nick Gubbins and Stephen Eskinazi, but TRJ’s campaign was somewhere between good and bad considering he took 19 wickets in a 2-match spell but just 14 wickets in his 9 other appearances, while Gubbo and Eski certainly didn’t have good campaigns. If we are going to go up in 2020, we will need either an increase in the amount of mainstays in our side who have a good campaign or an increase in the amount of players who come up with important cameos.

It will be interesting to see whether the transfers activity conducted by other counties will cause players surprisingly becoming available for Middlesex or for other counties. For example, I am not sure how pleased Liam Dawson and Mason Crane will be about Hampshire appearing to fully intend to sign Nathan Lyon or another off-spinner next season, as there can surely not be room for all three players in their side. For the moment, a lot of other counties are doing business, while Middlesex watch on.

Martin Andersson has spoken to ECB Reporters Network about his season.

dingy bags 27 September, 2019 18:10
I am pretty sure that we are doing a bit more than just watch on. Changes will occur.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net