Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
chunkyinargyll 08 November, 2019 14:01
Quote:
hdo

There have been some interesting comments on social media this week, especially from Nick Compton (whose tweets have now been deleted). One could fairly easily infer that Malan wasn't quite such a popular leader in the dressing room as we fans might've thought. If there are any signs next season that the dressing room malaise has lifted, it'd be a simple case of deduction to work out who might've been responsible for some of it.

Oh, do tell.

Difficult to know what to make of that. Maybe Compton feels he has a score to settle. After all, there must be some reason we paid him for all of 2018 without picking him once (not even for the seconds). I assumed that was more of a Fraser/Scott decision, but maybe the (then) new skippers views were taken in to account. Compton has never really spilled the beans as to why he was completely frozen out.

Shah posted something along the lines of, 'Lots of people leaving Middlesex, but one person always stays' (I assume he means Fraser, but again that can be dismissed as score settling, as he was one of the ones who I think was described as 'thinking we should be glad to have him, rather than honoured to play for us' (not exact words, but it was something like that) meaning he was more concerned with himself than the team and results.

Anyway, Malan was captain, so if he thinks we were 'plodding along' some of that must have been down to him. Going on about bad pitches gives others a ready made excuse when they fail, so I guess even if it is partly justified it's a bit defeatist to talk like that.

Hopefully Handscomb is a bit more positive.

freddie tittlemouse 08 November, 2019 14:44
No doubt all will be revealed in Malan's autobiography which surely will be called "Plodding along".

Seaxe_man1 08 November, 2019 15:48
Chunky. Can confirm Owais was considered a bad influence at that time though he, like Malan now, was our best batsman. This was said publicly at a forum.

tallliman 08 November, 2019 18:43
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Chunky. Can confirm Owais was considered a bad influence at that time though he, like Malan now, was our best batsman. This was said publicly at a forum.

My 2 favourite Mx players....

Jonathan Winsky 08 November, 2019 23:39
Dawid Malan’s career stats for Middlesex were:

First-class: 163 matches, 9,887 runs, best score 199, batting average 38.62, 23 centuries, 48 fifties, 175 catches, 52 wickets, best bowling figures 5-61, bowling average 39.53.

Twenty20: 131 matches, 3,318 runs, best score 117, batting average 32.85, 3 centuries, 14 fifties, 47 catches, 18 wickets, best bowling figures 2-10, bowling average 27.27.

List A: 105 matches, 3,266 runs, best score 156*, batting average 35.50, 5 centuries, 16 fifties, 39 catches, 28 wickets, best bowling figures 2-4, bowling average 38.42.

Although it is not something I obsessed about, I remember thinking several years ago that Andrew Strauss and Malan had a good chance of replacing Owais Shah as the most recent entrant to the list of players to have passed 10,000 first-class runs for Middlesex. However, Strauss reached 8,591 runs before choosing to retire as soon as his international career finished as opposed to winding down his career in county cricket (which is the opposite route that Alastair Cook decided to take), while Malan finished 113 short of getting into five figures. Sam Robson has 8,820 runs, so it would be brilliant if he could get the runs he needs in 2020, although I would settle for him making significant inroads coupled with many of his team-mates scoring heavily.

Fozzie 10 November, 2019 07:08
I'm finding it rather hard to break the habit of checking the England scores simply to see how Dawid Malan has got on.

Seaxe_man1 10 November, 2019 11:41
I suspect JW that the KP affair had something to do with Andrew Strauss calling time early. As he said at a forum. ' I have run my race'.

hdo 11 November, 2019 09:20
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
hdo

There have been some interesting comments on social media this week, especially from Nick Compton (whose tweets have now been deleted). One could fairly easily infer that Malan wasn't quite such a popular leader in the dressing room as we fans might've thought. If there are any signs next season that the dressing room malaise has lifted, it'd be a simple case of deduction to work out who might've been responsible for some of it.

Oh, do tell.

Compton said a few things, but the most interesting was when a cricket news account (can't remember which one, but The Cricketer perhaps) said something along the lines of "Middlesex fans aren't happy that Malan has left", and Compton replied "but I bet the players are", or something very similar.

chunkyinargyll 11 November, 2019 11:51
Thanks, HDO.

Interesting.

I suppose Stuart Law spent the first season observing, and is now taking the necessary action.

I guess that's why we didn't exactly fight to the end to hold him to his contract.

BeefyRoberts 11 November, 2019 12:09
Today's Mail has the T20 squad from the recent NZ games,with comment for each player involved,written by Lawrence Booth.
Malan was dropped for last game of series,one piece of player comment put stood out....Will need to sort out character clash with his captain,which saw him dropped for fifth game.

chunkyinargyll 11 November, 2019 12:15
I noticed Malan was missing in the last game, but I assumed that was something to do with it becoming an eleven over match. So, a fall out with Morgan?

Fozzie 11 November, 2019 13:20
According to the Cricinfo report on the march, the decision for Vince to replace Malan in the final match was a selection decision made before the series started. Meanwhile Dawid us up to 3rd in the T20 international rankings.

BarmierKev 11 November, 2019 13:35
According to the Times match report the issue was not running a bye off the last ball of his innings. Moggie lecturing him every run counts.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Seaxe_man1 11 November, 2019 15:27
It was also reported as predetermined rotation.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net