Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire?
Seaxe_man1 24 September, 2019 07:12
Back in England side for T20 so Ed Smith who knows Dawid from Mx days more influential than the perceived Yorkshire heft with Root. Porkies have similar troubles to Mx so out of the frying pan into the fire methinks.

Ebor Gooner 26 September, 2019 20:35
Not sure if Ive mentioned this on other threads, but I can see the logic of this. Malan wants to get back in the Test squad, and he will not be allowed to do that from Div 2 (despite Labauschganes performances for Australia). He's in his 30's and can't wait much longer, so a Div 1 side would suit him.

From the Middlesex point of view, he has been the captain. Whilst he might not be to blame, he hasn't managed to inspire, or cajole others to perform. After some poor seasons (and with Law having had a good look at the current crop of players) I can easily imagine he might go for an overseas "name" with the youngsters to play around him. To sweeten the pot for that recruit he will probably be made skipper. So a perceived demotion for Malan, and he would always be a reminder of the "old regime" in the dressing room.

I don't want it to happen, because I believe we are a better side with Malan, than without, but it does have a certain logic.

chunkyinargyll 30 September, 2019 20:19
So, as per the forum thread, Dawid Malan has given up the captaincy.

Yorkshire looking more likely than ever.

Jonathan Winsky 30 September, 2019 21:40
Although it was announced that Dawid Malan will no longer be Middlesex captain, no-one at the forum seemed to make reference to the rumours that he may cease to be a Middlesex player or that an end-of-season review had come to the strange conclusion that the club would be better off without him. Hopefully the news that he has given up the captaincy suggests that he will continue playing for the club in the ranks and have an even better season than he had in 2019.

The favourite to replace Malan as captain (at least for the County Championship) must be Sam Robson considering he is vice-captain, although John Simpson would be another candidate, as would Stephen Eskinazi had his place in the side been more secure (if he can make his poor 2019 a one-off, then he will surely be a regular in 2020, although I doubt it would be wise to make him captain due to the fact that a lot of his attention must be on rediscovering his form), although another option would be to give it to any signings we make this winter.

I am not sure who would captain us in the two limited-overs competitions. Although I can't see Eski captaining us in the Championship, maybe he will get the job in the shorter formats, as he has done so previously.

Seaxe_man1 30 September, 2019 21:44
That option could be vetoed by the future Mrs Malan. Confirmed on the news that Dawid has resigned the captaincy.

Seaxe_man1 07 October, 2019 12:52
At the Players Awards Dinner last Friday afternoon - Dawid was voted Player's Player of the Year.

Player of the Month for September was John Simpson.

The Bowling Award went to Rojo for his 7 for 52 at MTS

Tha Batting Award went to Max Holden for his white ball 166.

Fielding Award to George Scott

White Ball Cricketer of the Year - Nathan Sowter for his 41 wickets.

Player of the Year Dawid Malan.

This is from recall so I hope I have remembered all correctly.

Without Mala's 1005 runs we certainly would have been in bigger strife.

Concur with JW's comments. The subject of this thread was'nt mentioned at all but then I guess, not the time or place.

A good afternoon's entertainment, with this time a magician. His tricks were excellent and we could use some more of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 13:02 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 11 October, 2019 07:39
Ebor Gooner. Two second division players picked for NZ tour. Mahmoud rapid and Parkinson a decent spinner from my observation at Old Trafford trip. It's possible that Ed Smith is a better judge than media commentators used to the footie obsession with selection from the Premier League since that is all they watch. For definite Mx would miss Dawids runs with no obvious experienced replacement from within.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 07:44 by Seaxe_man1.

Fozzie 15 October, 2019 12:21
According to the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Leeds understand that Mala is currently in talks with Yorkshire.

BeefyRoberts 15 October, 2019 14:35
Going with Fozzie above,having a chat with Yorkie friend,he is saying the talks are advanced.
As Mala got 1000+ this season,will be a big void to fill,and,of course captaincy as well.
When on form,a fantastic player to watch.
All we can do is wait and see if any white smoke appears in Leeds and Lords.
Just to add,on twitter a Yorkie has posted,with among other words he said 'A Top Spinner'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2019 14:44 by BeefyRoberts.

Bring back the Crusaders 15 October, 2019 19:25
We should had held him to the contract he was happy to sign a year or so ago.

chunkyinargyll 15 October, 2019 19:34
I think there could be a problem if he has taken a pay cut as a result of losing the captaincy.

Sometimes players will ask for clauses in their contracts that mean they can move if they find themselves stick in Division 2 or lose the captaincy. I know technically he resigned, but it may have been a case of 'jump before I'm pushed'.

I think there must have been a get out clause and he has taken advantage of it.

Primrose Hillbilly 04 November, 2019 07:12
Gone to Yeeeeaaawwksheeeeeya.

Just announced by the club.

chunkyinargyll 04 November, 2019 07:23
Nice to have the inevitable confirmed.

[yorkshireccc.com]

Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 08:24
Tom Lace to replace.

GPM 04 November, 2019 08:25
Another player leaving a sinking ship.

Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 09:57
Alleged to be a four year deal. At 30, a decent offer. One year was left at Mx. Opportunity for 2nd eleven players to step up. Nathan Sowter has replaced Rayner. Who replaces Malan?. Opportunity for Tom Lace?

snicko 04 November, 2019 11:15
Stuart Law had identified Malan as a negative influence in the team - hence the stripping of the captaincy. Remember comments re. Batsmen returning to the dressing room and Malan’s condemnations of the Lord’s pitches ? It’s beginning to take the shape of a squad that Law wants to move forward with (as opposed to inherited).

A couple of astute signings to follow and we can look forward to the Law era.
Way too many quality individuals at the club not to return to Div 1.

An interesting tweet from our President on Twitter when commenting on Malan’s departure : “ A team is more than a collection of individuals”. I read that as a damning indictment of Malan’s role at the club.

Roll on 2020 season !

freddie tittlemouse 04 November, 2019 11:25
Well, we shall see! Streets ahead of any other batsman in the averages this season.

The implication that Malan has been the reason for nearly all the other players underperforming is pretty fanciful.

Defcon1 04 November, 2019 11:32
Good luck to him, and the right time for him to go if he is to achieve anything in his county career.

Was he a source of discontent in the dressing room? No idea. He did always seem to be seething inwardly but that could be positive or negative.

Whatever, we will miss his runs.

BeefyRoberts 04 November, 2019 12:15
Worse kept secret in cricket is revealed,as I wake from nightshift to the news.
I really,really hope we have a damn good batsman lined up to replace him,as Mala's runs were a good % of what we got,and,of course a new captain needed as well (both from outside?).
We cant sit back and wait,strike whilst the iron is hot,if talks with a player is going well,then push them forward to make announcement on both subjects.
So,Mala...always enjoyed watching you when flowing,thanks for your time at the Middle and good luck for the future.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net