Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 12:27
Handscomb to replace Malan as 2020 captain next year. That's year not Blast. Outgrounds can breath a sigh of relief. Malan not fan.despite making debut ton at one.

BeefyRoberts 04 November, 2019 12:33
Handscombe was mentioned in Evening Standard,just be ready for players to be linked from everywhere.
We need someone who can replace the runs Mala got for us and for all 3 formats as well.
Just hope we get a quick announcement by club and we dont sit back.
A big gap to fill.

rod/ed 04 November, 2019 13:01
Have to change several of my passwords now!

BeefyRoberts 04 November, 2019 13:06
Question..With Mala released from his contract by us,does that mean Yorkies have bought out remaining contract,or we have just let him go?

chunkyinargyll 04 November, 2019 13:20
Beefy- As I've said before he probably had a get out clause if we remained marooned in division 2.

Players at other clubs have had clauses like this in the past. We probably had to agree to it to get him to sign in the first place. He also got a benefit ahead of Morgan and Finn who should have come first in terms of length of service. It might be that we think Morgan is so rich that he doesn't need a benefit. I assume Finn will get his in 2021.

Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 16:20
Beefy. Unless there was a get out clause we could ask for a buy out. Otherwise by mutual consent. Which usually means zilch all round.

Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 16:25
With Malan, Scott, Stirlo, Rayner gone. Made a start on replacements. Handscomb, I will add Tom Lace, Sowter already in, Martin Andersson for Scott. That leaves one more to replace Stirlo.

Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 17:04
A 2020 year top six. How' about Robbi. Handscomb. Lace. Holden. Andersson. Harris for starters plus Simmo at seven and four bowlers. Subject to further recruits.

rod/ed 04 November, 2019 17:12
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
A 2020 year top six. How' about Robbi. Handscomb. Lace. Holden. Andersson. Harris for starters plus Simmo at seven and four bowlers. Subject to further recruits.
Gubbo?

adelaide 04 November, 2019 17:37
Sam Robbi or Robbi White?

The report said that Malan had asked to be released from his contract, so presumably no get out clause.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 04 November, 2019 18:09
Asked to be released because he knew he had the right and we couldn't refuse?

It hardly matters now.

At present down to 18 players on the squad page. Deduct 4 for the blundred and that is nowhere near enough.

In the past we have had around 24 plus two more for T20

Apart from signing rookies and (hopefully) Handscomb I don't know where the reinforcements are coming from.

freddie tittlemouse 04 November, 2019 18:10
People seem to be taking it for granted that Handscomb is coming. Where's the evidence?

Jonathan Winsky 04 November, 2019 19:23
As Middlesex will be entering the 2020 season hoping to substantially improve on a third successive disappointing County Championship campaign, I was hopeful that the quality of our squad would improve from 2019. However, the loss of Dawid Malan, the fact that our only winter signing (well, some may say he is a winter signing, while others may say he was signed during the 2019 season) so far has been Miguel Cummins and the fact that I am not sure whether there is any possibility of us signing any domestic players means that we will need at least one signing in addition to Peter Handscomb for our squad in 2020 to be stronger than in 2019.

This move was first hinted in an article in the Mail on Sunday in September, which suggested that an end-of-season review was expected to conclude that Middlesex would be a better club without Malan, which I found to be a strange conclusion considering there wasn’t much argument that he was our best player in 2019 and one of the most talented players in our squad. As has been said on this thread, maybe Malan had a fall-out with Stuart Law and possibly other people at the club. An article today in the Guardian with quotes from Malan which I had not seen elsewhere seems to confirm that there was a fall-out, although it says that after Malan had made his decision that he would be leaving, he discovered that his vision for the club wasn’t much different to Law’s vision.

If Malan believes his future would be better at Yorkshire than at Middlesex, then it would be difficult for Middlesex to stand in his way. Regardless of whether he had a clause in his contract, I would be disappointed if we don’t receive compensation from Yorkshire due to Malan leaving before his contract at Middlesex had expired.

Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
People seem to be taking it for granted that Handscomb is coming. Where's the evidence?

As Beefy has said, today’s Evening Standard reports that it is expected that Handscomb will sign as captain and overseas player. I hope that, as a minimum, we indeed sign either Handscomb or someone of his quality, otherwise most of our players would have to step up and perform much better than in 2019. In fact, regardless of whether or not there are any signings, we could do with our existing players all stepping up.

Seaxe_man1 04 November, 2019 20:20
Quote:
rod/ed
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Gubbo?
needs runs confidence Rod. Neither apparent recently.

freddie tittlemouse 04 November, 2019 20:27
A couple of rapier thrusts in the Guardian article. "Yorkshire seem like a team who want to win trophies" .

Bring back the Crusaders 04 November, 2019 21:14
Rat & sinking ship initially spring to mind but I suppose you cant blame him for leaving a mediocre team that is not going anywhere to a team with a bit of ambition

Primrose Hillbilly 05 November, 2019 07:55
The one thing that might be said about Dawid's time as our captain was that the captaincy did not affect his batting.

That might well be because he was not mentally engaged as a captain. I was barely aware of his presence on the field, and certainly cannot remember any inspirational field changes - can anyone here?

Agreed that it is now a time of over rates and so lengthy consultations as to whether fine leg might be moved slightly to the left are gone, but he was a very passive captaincy force, not an arm waving demonstrative presence.

Was Tim or Toby the bowler most similar to Ollie Robinson, whose "end" might have most suited that bowler when early wickets were a priority at Hove? Well, guess which one took the to end?
It seemed pre-determined.

That was also the first time when Stuart voiced his annoyance at the negative comments about the pitch from returning batsmen.

I'd like the next captain to come from within, to be an obvious Middlesex through and through player, and also someone with a bit of attitude in the way they play who might also be prepared to kick @rse within the dressing room. (As well as being sure of their place in the side) It might be asking too much for Simmo to be given yet another role in the side.

Only one name for me : Toby.

rod/ed 05 November, 2019 08:20
PH: if captain from within then then the name for me is Harris, playing as an all rounder at 7 . Simmo at 6 behind 5 batsmen. Sowter the spinner, Rotate 3 'quicks ' .

snicko 05 November, 2019 09:19
James Harris for me as well. Very impressive young man on and off the field, who has huge respect in the dressing room.

Disgruntled of Hayes 05 November, 2019 09:26
I am a long time reader but first time poster on your site. I felt today was the day I had to get things off my chest. I normally sit in the pavilion and there has been rumours most of the season that the captain and the coach have not been seeing eye to eye. in my opinion, Mr Malan has neither the personality or the nous to be a captain, his post match interviews are both negative and repetitive. However we will miss his runs. The whole situation post 2016 is mind boggling. Celebrating that magnificent victory that night, no one could have have thought of the situation, we are in now. Our batting in all forms is woefully light. The batters we have left are not good enough and too much in the comfort zone. Worrying times.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net