Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
chunkyinargyll 05 November, 2019 09:26
I'm sure James Harris has the brains to be captain, but generally speaking bowlers aren't favoured for captaincy, because they will miss some games whilst they are rotated.

So that leaves the batmen. All of whom need to think about having a better season personally than they have for the last two years.

Logically that only leaves Hanscomb.

adelaide 05 November, 2019 11:36
Bowler captains tend not to be rotated. Giving the captaincy to a bowler who is already being rotated is probably not a great idea, unless his batting develops to the point where he is more a batting than bowling all rounder.

I am not convinced by this "batsmen in the comfort zone" argument. If you get into a low confidence rut in anything you can end up trying too hard because you cannot relax into it.

PH - If only the over rate issue had killed off the perennial field fiddling. My impression was that it remained live and kicking even with -3 on the board and each change seemed to take forever. Usually seemed to be initiated by the bowler, standing by the pitch, without much (obvious) input from the captain. Having said that, the over rate issue goes back well before Malan's captaincy.

Off on a tangent as usual but I can recall a Punch cartoon years ago which carried the caption "That's amazing, Trevor. Cowdrey has moved the fielder exactly where you were suggesting." The cartoon showed a not particularly slim Cowdrey ... with a transistor radio blaring in his pocket!

Adelaide

snicko 05 November, 2019 12:11
Adelaide

Over the last two seasons, Harris has averaged 34 with the bat and 26 with the ball. If that’s not someone capable of leading by example, then show me someone who is.
I would also remind you of the incredible hundred at Lord’s against Lancashire with the white ball.

He’ll do for me !

freddie tittlemouse 05 November, 2019 12:33
The dilemma with Harris is that he has good seasons and bad seasons with the ball for no discernible reason. Last season he averaged 40 in CC2. His batting has advanced tremendously and he may end up as a no. 6 batsman and 4th change bowler.
It is evident we need a strong captain who can stamp his authority as it appears that Malan did not assert himself adequately. We don't know about Harris captaincy capabilities as I don't think he's ever captained. I would prefer an experienced leader from outside the county. The trough we are in is deep and needs something exceptional.

rod/ed 05 November, 2019 13:44
I think Harris has captained the 2s, with enthusiasm and much encouragement to the youngsters.
If playing as 4th seamer then hopefully the slightly lower number of overs should prevent his rotation

BeefyRoberts 05 November, 2019 15:47
An article from The Cricketer today on Twitter about Mala.
Two parts really stood out,quotes by Mala I presume...
1. I dont want to finish my career just plodding along in County Cricket.
2. I was wanting things to move in the right direction,It frustrated me that I didnt really know what was going on at Middlesex or what the plans were and so on.

Was there an agenda looking at point 2 to not tell Mala?
Plodding along? Is he trying to say we are destined to be a div 2 club for some time,just going through the motions?
I'm sure there will be plenty of rumours going round as to why he upped sticks for the North.
I know of a few Yorkies who are very happy with their new player,and think Christmas has arrived early.

adelaide 05 November, 2019 16:05
Communication is a two way thing. If he didn't know, why didn't he ask? On the face of it that would seem something appropriate for the captain to do. How can he carry his players with the club for a policy of which he is unaware?

Unless, as Beefy implies, he wasn't told (whether or not he asked) because it had already been decided he wasn't going to continue as captain.

It all seems odd and we probably do not know the whole story but on the face of it we have a situation which, if transposed into any other walk of life, would be viewed as rank poor management. and a guarantee of unhappy bunnies.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 05 November, 2019 18:37
There was a quote from Stuart Law earlier in the season that the bowlers were upset at being dropped because "they weren't aware they were being rotated". This alongside Malan's comments about lack of communication does raise some alarm bells. Communication, we have always been told, is a two way process and seems not to have been happening in either direction.

Seaxe_man1 05 November, 2019 19:18
Quote:
rod/ed
I think Harris has captained the 2s, with enthusiasm and much encouragement to the youngsters.
If playing as 4th seamer then hopefully the slightly lower number of overs should prevent his rotation
correct Rod I have seen James Harris captaining the seconds in a T20 double header a couple off seasons ago at Uxbridge. He mixed easily with younger player's including. I think appropriate communication

Seaxe_man1 05 November, 2019 19:40
Plodding along ,Beefy. That's how David Malan described the Middlesex immediate future. He did add that Middlesex is a great club run by great people.

tallliman 06 November, 2019 07:36
Dawid's departure was discussed on the TMS podcast with Finny who initially said "fans will be surprised by his decision". I was quite taken by that as a statement but I'm unsure if I'm reading too much into it.

chunkyinargyll 06 November, 2019 07:42
I suppose we would have been surprised if we hadn't all known about it for the last six weeks, but I suppose I was surprised six weeks ago!

Seaxe_man1 06 November, 2019 16:48
DM picked up 40 grand for Brum 100 and new Yorky contract, plus England T20, so he is in the money. Not too much plodding along there. Cash register ringing nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 16:49 by Seaxe_man1.

adelaide 06 November, 2019 19:15
He would still have got the England and Brum money if he had stayed with us. This move is not really about the money. It is the county level career that he saw as plodding along, though I bet he wishes now that he had restricted himself to being positive about Yorkshire rather than negative about Middlesex. I can't say that I resent him giving it a go elsewhere and it does seem as if Middlesex did not see fit to resist.

Star batsman leaves after a testimonial year? Rings a few bells, that, though the situation is rather different. Someone posted weeks ago on the Surrey site that he was almost certain to sign for them, which would have made it a closer parallel. Nice to see that it is not just on this board that "in the know" info turns out to be naff.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 06 November, 2019 20:36
In view of his words ' I don't want to end my career in county cricket plodding along' I suspect a big factor is being Joe Root's team mate was a large persuader. Mx have plodded along. 2016 an exception, since Ticket Gate which cost Mx Chris Rogers regrettably. Pretty much downhill since, if gradually. We are 1000 runs short for 2020 afore we start.

Seaxe_man1 07 November, 2019 08:03
Plus the constant stream of players leaving for and finding greener pastures elsewhere over the past decade, suggests many others share the ' plodding along ' quote. All is not well at The Middle.

Marlowboy 07 November, 2019 09:17
DM moving on will give opportunities for others in the remaining squad and I hope lead to recruitment of an experienced batsman (captain?). Although as others have said, from what I have seen, I would be comfortable with James Harris in that role.
The appointment of SL as coach was likely to result in some changes, as others have indicated it's been coming for a while.
Let's hope others rediscover the form of 2016, but the time to judge will be after three or four games next season.

chunkyinargyll 08 November, 2019 08:40
A hundred in 48 balls for Malan as England win to make series 2 all.

Not sure if I'm pleased or not.

If he cements his place Yorkshire won't see so much of him after all.

hdo 08 November, 2019 10:17
I do find it odd that he'd accuse us of not wanting to win anything. While it's true that we've been largely rubbish for a while, and we've seemed somewhat directionless at times, it surely can't be the case that we're deliberately not trying to win anything. That's a stupid thing to say.

Equally, to state that Yorkshire attracted him with their ambition is basically nonsense too. Any club will say anything they want to get players to sign for them. "What are your ambitions?" "Well, thanks for asking, Dawid... we really want to win lots of trophies" "Wow, that's such a great idea - my previous club never said that".

There have been some interesting comments on social media this week, especially from Nick Compton (whose tweets have now been deleted). One could fairly easily infer that Malan wasn't quite such a popular leader in the dressing room as we fans might've thought. If there are any signs next season that the dressing room malaise has lifted, it'd be a simple case of deduction to work out who might've been responsible for some of it.

adelaide 08 November, 2019 12:13
I very much doubt that Malan's comment was anything to do with lack of desire to win on behalf of the club. Unfortunately desire itself is not enough! He may simply have been commenting on the outcome (2017 to date) or he may have thought that the way that the club was going about things was inadvertently getting in the way of the club succeeding. Or perhaps the club's financial position - if you can't afford to do stuff you want to do then you cannot do it. Was Malan actually on board with the various decisions made about overseas players, for example?

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net