Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Poll: Marks out of 10 for the season?
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 28 September, 2019 20:37
Poll: Marks out of 10 for the season?
BarmierKev 28 September, 2019 20:37

On the scale of 1-10 how would you rate our season?

Less than 0

You must be logged in to vote.

42 Votes

Show results

The annual just as the season ended poll.

I’m going for 3. Two based on qualifications through the group phase of the white ball stuff. Another one for our three red ball wins, which I witnessed.

Overall very disappointing,

I feel it it is reasonable to accept I’m being generous with my marking. .

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2019 20:44 by BarmierKev.

Re: Poll: Marks out of 10 for the season?
Jonathan Winsky 28 September, 2019 22:08
Middlesex’s two goals for the 2019 season were to gain promotion in the County Championship and to reach the knockout stages in at least one limited-overs competition. We failed to achieve the former goal and didn’t really look on course at any stage to go up, although at least we succeeded in the latter pursuit by reaching the knockout stages in both competitions before exiting both competitions with a whimper (our exit from the Twenty20 competition was certainly a whimper, while our exit from the Royal London Cup arguably was too, as we slipped to 24-5 chasing Lancashire’s 304-4, and although James Harris and John Simpson put on 197 for the sixth wicket, I didn’t feel that that partnership put our win likelihood above 30%).

I will have to give our season a rating of 3, as I believe that our squad is capable of doing so much better than being near the foot of division two and having to see it as an achievement to reach the last six of the RLC and last eight of the T20 Blast.

I doubt our management would see our season as a great success, as although they say that each competition is equally important and so could claim that our exploits in limited-overs cricket compensated for our failure to achieve proportion, I imagine that they would have liked us to have done better in all three competitions by challenging for promotion and going at least one stage further in the two limited-overs competitions.

dnb 29 September, 2019 06:21
I have gone for a 4 based solely on our performance in white ball cricket. We were one of only four teams to reach the knockout stage of both competitions. On the other hand we finished 16th (out of 18) in red ball cricket which was extremely disappointing.

Darren Gosling 29 September, 2019 07:38
3/5 for white ball and 0/5 for red ball for me.
Much improved in white ball in all three disciplines.

Red ball continues to go even further backwards.
Biggest cause for concern for me are the Director of Cricket's lack of concern.
The same batting unit has been backed (and failed) for three seasons now since winning the Championship. Same excuses post match for three season. Yet to quote Gus "no need for knee jerk reactions". Well I would like to knee a certain jerk.
He still thinks we are mid-table in Div 2 - reality is there was only the bottom team with less wins than us. Our win rate of 21% in the Championship was down on last year's 50%.
We can't actually get much worse in red ball cricket but Gus seems oblivious with his tired excuses....

chunkyinargyll 29 September, 2019 08:08
We actually exceeded expectations in two out of three competitions, even if for most of us we regressed in the one we care about the most.

On that basis

chunkyinargyll 29 September, 2019 08:13
Oh- and I still think there must be a 'Fund Barnet' account which is preventing us from signing names from elsewhere (although this winter I think there will be one or two new signings-if only to replace Stirling, and if he goes, Malan).

We're bound to need some cash to put on the table as a deposit for Barnet, with the rest as a loan.

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2019 13:35
A fairly decent white ball season for me gives a score of 4. An enjoyable RLC season the best for donkey's years and T20 wins up from 2 to seven.

Travel to Essex, Mexico and Canterbury and watching three merited RLC away wins were the season highlights for me.

Eventually succumbing to stronger sides in both competitions.

CC. Three up: I always thought would motivate all of out competitors and so it did.

Our first innings batting was seldom good enough to set a platform to win games.

75 all out at Hove and 34 for 6 at Lanky which looked likely to be worse, until John Simpson with late order help averted that scenario.

Northants and Gloucs joining favourites Lanky in going up underlined the three up motivation.

Notts coming down seem to have a touch of the MX batting virus. Next year we shall see.

Promotion and relegation reverts to two up and down.

Plus we, at anyrate, play everyone twice. So a level playing field.

Bring back the Crusaders 29 September, 2019 20:45
I gave a 2 - solely because of the white ball game otherwise it would have been 0
De Villiers was a shrewd signing but other than that only 2 or 3 players come out of the season with any credit.
Things cant get any worse next season..................................................................can they?

MiddleToWest 02 October, 2019 12:01
I think our president wears the same rose tinted specs. We exchanged tweets during the last game.

Me: "This is more an expression of frustration than a question I'd expect the President to answer on Twitter, but what has happened to our top order this year? Maybe it's hubris but, at the start, I never doubted we'd be in the top 37.5% of the division."

MS: "Season isn't quite over yet. And tbh I prefer to look at what we have achieved rather than what we haven't. We are getting there"

Me: "Fair enough, and I admire the positivity - I guess mainly regarding white ball. But we're not going up and we appeared to have 'got there' three years ago, with most of the same players we have now. We fans find it perplexing and frustrating.
We could do with a Larry Gomes."

MS: "It will all be addressed . We don't just do things on the hoof. New coach has needed a season to understand and assess what he has and whence we go from here ."

chunkyinargyll 02 October, 2019 12:26
Quote:
MiddleToWest

MS: "It will all be addressed . We don't just do things on the hoof. New coach has needed a season to understand and assess what he has and whence we go from here ."

And that's right really.

Stuart Law is already 25% through his contract, and the remaining three years will fly by.

At the end of 2022 he will be judged by 'did he leave the club in a better place than he found it?'

So- first year assess- second year, take action.

I think coaches merely advise, and it is entirely up to the player if they take that advice, as it is their career at stake. So if you say, 'Have you thought of shortening your run up' and the reply is, 'This is what I'm used to, and comfortable with' I don't think there's a lot the coach can do (provided the person is still picking up wickets and is worth his place in the side). Presumably the batsmen (if they want a new contract when the current one expires) will acknowledge averages of 20 or under aren't good enough and aren't just down to random bad luck, and if they want to improve it might be a good idea to be open to advice about changes they could make. Winter is the time to take things apart (this is what I've always done) and put it back together again (try this, this and this instead), and repeat again and again in the nets, until it becomes second nature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 12:29 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 02 October, 2019 17:33
From what SL said at the Forum, he and the coaching staff have a busy winter ahead curing the identified ailments. A lot of hard work required were his words.

BeefyRoberts 06 October, 2019 14:25
I'm going to start with a 3 for T20 campaign,cant go higher due to the way we lost 3 out of the last 4 group games,and take 1 point away for the quarter final showing vs Notts.Leaving 2 for this.
50 over...again,3 points for this tournament as we showed better performances,but,again,remove 1 point for the quarter final vs Lancs,leaving another 2 point total.
County Championship.....just going to take 1 point off the total of 4 from the above two tournaments,.
I could say also,for the amount of committee who attended away county games(wasnt that many either),and not bothering to come along and meet those who spend hard earned money following the club up and down the country a big fat Zero.

Primrose Hillbilly 06 October, 2019 14:59
The improvements were in our limited overs performances and a carry over from that in our fielding.

Toby returned and improved as the season went on.

Thank God, (for yet another season,) for Tim Murtagh.

Our top order batting was terrible.

Any remedial work from the season before last didn't happen because we needed to give SL and NP full rein, and they didn't have the benefit of knowing the squad.

SL identified one potentially dissident voice early on and moved on that.

The players are contracted year round, are they not, so the remedial action might already have been mapped out and being put into place now. I didn't think it coincidental that for the 2015 / 16 close season, Gus had the players under his eye, doing everything from netting indoors to netting and fencing at Radlett, and the signs posted there in testimony to the "Harris Garden" seemed to show a certain esprit de corps.

So : greatly improved T20 performance overall, some enjoyable days during our RL campaign, especially recalling the question "What's the difference between second and third?", that saw Playfair annuals being dug out, phones being consulted, and Strange Colin rising magnificently to the occasion, (we then went to Kent and beat them - contrast that with what they did to us in the T20 and where they are in the CC), and, as I had NEVER seen us win a T20 before this season, I'm happy with a mark of 4.

We are not leaving the last cricket season; just walking towards the next one.

Onwards and Upwards!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net