Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Question for Forum tomorrow
Discussion started by Darren Gosling , 29 September, 2019 08:54
Question for Forum tomorrow
Darren Gosling 29 September, 2019 08:54
I can't make the Forum tomorrow but would like to understand the thinking of signing a bowler for the last 3 matches when;
(i) it's clearly the batting that needs strengthening
(ii) we had plethora of bowlers to choose from - so much so Fuller, Higgins and Podmore left due to limited opportunities and we 'rested' 3 bowlers for the Lanky match, including Murts who had only played 2 red ball matches in 2 months(!)

Re: Question for Forum tomorrow
chunkyinargyll 29 September, 2019 09:16
Could someone ask-

Is money being put to one side in case Barnet comes about, and if so, is that money that would otherwise have been spent on improving the strength of the playing staff?

middleman 29 September, 2019 13:30
Would have loved to have been able to attend the forum but I have a clash.

The question I would love to know more about is what are the expectations about the number of Middlesex matches that will be played at Lords next season and possibly beyond.

We have lost the one day matches. Next season we have 7 home games in the championship. How many are anticipated at Lords?

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2019 14:45
Middleman: we did not win any match this year at Lord's . Five games three losses, ( could have been four ), and two draws.

Our only win at MTS. Replicates 2006 when our only win was at Southgate.

A reliable opening pair to see off the new ball would help change that of course.

My guess. A couple of games at outgrounds likely.

As you allude to, the 100 ball caper will block up the middle of the season for the forthcoming half decade.

One bonus. We collect a much needed in our case, a dollop of cash. £1.3 million.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2019 14:48 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2019 15:09
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Could someone ask-
Is money being put to one side in case Barnet comes about, and if so, is that money that would otherwise have been spent on improving the strength of the playing staff?

You are likely to get the reply Tim Lamb gave at the two forums on this subject..

Namely, because it is intended primarily be a community ground, used by the MX Disability and Womens sides in the main. Such a facility is required by Sport England to be provided by MX.

Should we comply, then MX qualify for grants ( when meeting certain criteria ), from various bodies to cover costs.

Last word from the hierarchy was, planning permission is to be sought from Barnet Council in October, who are said to be in favour of this proposal. Who would charge MX a peppercorn rent.

Obviously any money from grants would be ring fenced for Copthall and not used for any other purpose.

Taking Radlett as an example, Gus thought six years before pitch suitable for First Eleven cricket.

In the meantime, the community aspect will feature. I imagine your question will be asked chunky.

We await with bated breath the answer.

BeefyRoberts 29 September, 2019 15:30
Unfortunately,at this moment,I think there are far more important things to worry about than the ongoing new ground stuff,when things happen the club,I'm sure,will inform us all.
The batting from top order,that is top of my agenda,although I can't attend due to work.
The case of the missing batting points is another.
Why no committee members make any efforts to sit with those who travel to away county games,spending hard earned cash along the way,be nice to at least come and chat with those who do.
We do see Mike in Middlesex Room,but,we need to see committee members come out of the big brick building,and be seen communicating with members at more regular times.
Will the morning forums continue? I went along to 2 and they were very poorly attended.I think they were wrongly times in my viewing.
Back to the Middlesex Room,where are all the penents,all the artifacts from old display cabinet,why is nothing on display to show what the Middlesex Room is....OUR ROOM....Lack of space in there as well.
Air Con needs sorting out,dont need all the blowers on all the time.
All these things can be sorted out by committee members,if we saw them!
Just a few points I would bring up!!

adelaide 29 September, 2019 18:35
My question (I won't be there) would be along these lines. Is the almost complete lack of signings since 2016 a consequence of the financial situation since 2016 or does it reflect a belief by management that there was nobody out there who could improve the team?

We don't know how long Barnet has been on the agenda or when the county had to start factoring in the impact of Graves's Folly but if it is finance, it easily pre-dates anything that was publicly known about Barnet.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2019 21:21
Barnet came on agenda last autumn Adelaide. As you say predates the two year losses of reserves and membership numbers.

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2019 21:22
Middlesex Room Beefy. Likely to remain unsolved. No longer used as intended.

dingy bags 30 September, 2019 13:59
Chunky, we have made a loss the last two years. No money is being put aside for a possible new ground. We have been told that this would only go ahead if it will be funded by grants, the biggest from the ECB.

Middleman. The aim is for 6 of the seven home cc games to be at Lord's, alough as SM says, this is a mixed blessing from some perspectives.

Westrock 30 September, 2019 21:04

Jonathan Winsky 30 September, 2019 22:54
I can’t think of many previous forums when announcements were made to those in attendance before the information had been published elsewhere. As Middlesex have confirmed the player contract extensions and departures shortly after the end of the forum, I can write about them knowing that I wouldn't be disrespecting the request to refrain from discussing what was said at what was officially a private meeting of members. However, other than my views about the player news, I am not sure what else I am allowed to say about the forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net