Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Overseas player
Discussion started by freddie tittlemouse , 01 October, 2019 17:35
Overseas player
freddie tittlemouse 01 October, 2019 17:35
Predominately a batsman

Available all season

Red and white ball capable

Experienced or capable of leadership

Likes London

Not A B de V (unfortunately).

I've racked my brains and can't think of too many.

Suggestions? Chris Gayle? Probably not!

Re: Overseas player
chunkyinargyll 01 October, 2019 17:42
Hilton Cartwright

Ross Taylor

Kane Williamson

Jonathan Winsky 01 October, 2019 18:12
It sounds like Middlesex are indeed keen to sign an overseas batsman for next season, not only to score runs, but also to mentor our other batsmen and to talk through innings with their batting partner. As is a sentiment that many of us probably share, Stuart Law has a strong preference that we sign someone for the whole season like we traditionally used to be able to do, as it isn’t ideal if we have overseas players playing a week here and a month there. However, the way the calendar is structured makes it harder to find someone who can play the whole season.

Yesterday’s news about Miguel Cummins joining the queue of fast bowlers and Nathan Sowter appearing to have been appointed as our number one spinner means that it would be a big surprise if we sign an overseas player who is not a batsman.

This overseas signing could well be Ross Taylor or Kane Williamson, as there was a thread suggesting this, although no-one replied to the opening post on the thread. Either of those players could captain the side, although I don’t know if they would appreciate taking on such a burden. And I don’t know if they would be happy playing in division 2. However, I am very happy about the thought of either of those players signing, unless the signing just becomes another Hilton Cartwright!

freddie tittlemouse 01 October, 2019 19:41
How about Hashim Amla? Retired from international cricket. Has captained SA.

BREARS 02 October, 2019 10:43
Amla is a good shout

Seaxe Boy 02 October, 2019 17:34
There might be a strong case for an overseas batsman but we also have Tim Murtagh on our staff. With 700 first-class wickets for Middlesex alone, he would be an excellent overseas signing. This is with the assumption that he will be continuing his Test and ODI career with Ireland.

Jonathan Winsky 02 October, 2019 17:59
Angus Fraser suggested at Monday’s forum that Tim Murtagh’s intention is to play for Ireland until March 2020 (or whenever their final match before the start of the county season takes place), and then call time on his international career so that he can continue playing for Middlesex as a domestic player. However, if Murtagh wishes to continue playing for Ireland after next March, then he would indeed have to either use up Middlesex’s overseas player berth or cease playing for us.

Murtagh is not the only player whereby it is the case that we hope to field the player as a domestic player next season but who may have to play as an overseas player if circumstances change is Miguel Cummins, as he has signed as a Kolpak player, but I don’t think it is 100% certain that this status will exist post-Brexit, although I believe that the chances of the Home Office blocking Kolpak signings are remote.

Hopefully Murtagh and Cummins will be able to play as domestic players, otherwise it would disrupt our hopes of signing an overseas player in addition to those two.

Bring back the Crusaders 04 October, 2019 22:57
Have a horrible feeling Cummins is a replacement for Murtagh

chunkyinargyll 05 October, 2019 07:48
Somewhere I've read Timmy might not decide till March, so he can play for Ireland this winter.

I think he has privately given assurances he intends to stay with us, but I suppose he won't sign till March.

Seaxe_man1 05 October, 2019 07:54
Faf du Plessis. Retiring from international cricket.

Lifer 05 October, 2019 09:52
The eventual replacement for Murtagh (not yet) is Bamber

Jonathan Winsky 08 October, 2019 17:44
Cricinfo’s George Dobell reports that despite this player’s representatives holding talks with Middlesex and Hampshire, Hashim Amla is expected to sign for Surrey as a Kolpak player on a two-year contract.

It is great to hear that Middlesex were interested in a player of Amla’s quality, although it seems that we will be beaten to the player's signature.

The article also says that the possibility to sign players as Kolpaks may expire at the end of this month if a no-deal Brexit takes place.

Fozzie 10 October, 2019 13:37
The new edition of The Cricketer says that Stuart Law wants Peter Handscomb as our captain next season, and that he is poised to join. He's got 16 Test caps and previously played for Durham, Yorks and Gloucs. Not sure whether he has captaincy experience, though.

chunkyinargyll 10 October, 2019 13:41
That could be a very good signing.

Sort of an Aussie Malan (someone just outside the Australian test side, but will be keen to have an impressive english summer to get back in to the test side, so fully motivated)

chunkyinargyll 10 October, 2019 13:58
I guess Peter Hanscomb must have impressed when he made 54 against us for Durham a few weeks ago.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Only the two Robson's made higher scores in that match, so maybe Stuart Law started chatting him up then.

Career record-

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Seaxe Boy 11 October, 2019 09:13
Peter Handscomb captained Australia A in 2016.

Jonathan Winsky 11 October, 2019 18:38
Peter Handscomb sounds like he would be a great signing for Middlesex, although I imagine that I wrote that about Hilton Cartwright when he first signed! If we sign Handscomb or a different batsman as an overseas player, hopefully they would complement Dawid Malan and our other batsmen rather than be a replacement for Malan.

An article in the Belfast Telegraph repeats the rumour that Tim Murtagh intends to end his Ireland career around February or March 2020, which is the first time I have seen this rumour in print.

Please forgive me for not being up-to-date with what is written in The Cricketer, as the October 2019 edition has dropped through my front door before I had got close to completing the September edition!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net